Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-19-2010, 09:31 PM
annamal

Default I thought I knew God

My whole life I thought I knew God. I was raised in the church and went to church school, so I thought I knew what there was to know about God. But I was wrong, I didn't KNOW God, I knew who He was, and I knew some things about Him. He was like an acquaintance. I've gotten glimpses of what it is like to be near Him a few times over the years, but then the door would shut and I would go on with life.

Tuesday of this week I posted a question here about an issue that I could not resolve. I was led to the Bible by some people on this forum, where my answer was found. Since then the Bible has come alive for me and I can't get enough of it. I have been filled with this great joy that I have never felt before. I feel like I am finally beginning to really KNOW God. It's like falling in love. My only fear is that this will fade away or become routine. This week has sped by and I wish it would slow down so I could savor it longer.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM
surveyorshawn

Totally awesome dude! Like Paul said, you've got to run the race with perseverance and endurance. Hang in there! It is like a marriage, many people let the fire burn out, but it is really supposed to get hotter as time goes on! It is up to you to do that. God said we will find Him if we seek Him with our WHOLE heart!...not part of it, all of it!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Miss Foxy

That's great news!!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

keep going I too have had a bit of an awakening over this last few weeks...let me tell you now...if you neglect him...you will notice it....you wont be able to hear him and your day will not run aswell...its really strange, but I've noticed it.

This last week a terrible thing happened that could have gotten REALLY nasty VERY quickly...and somehow when the arrows flew...I discovered almost every single other person got one in the head...but I was unscathed...it was...remarkable

I remembered the bit in Psalms, where it says the Hundreds and hundreds of thousands might fall at your side, but you will be left unhurt because GOD will send his Host to look after you...

Well..I SAW IT this week....I sware I am not making this up!!

A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

Well this week...I should have been splattered and completely smushed at work, I should have been in a state of fear, I was in some incredibly awkward situations between increadibly important people at work...I COULDNT have come out of this unscathed without GODs help...I am convinced he helpped me out BIG TIME their

I am so thankful also Its just incredible...he has such power, he can help you do things that you shouldnt be able to do. I know it sound odd, but I sware he slows down time or something...I sware there was more time for me to do the impossible within the deadlines

we must continually pray, about EVERYTHING...think of it like an open dialogue...think of it like posting on this forum...prayer isnt supposed to be restricted to "serious and important" its supposed to be constant. I have discovered I pray about silly things, little things...I was so worried about today after yesterdays war, because I had been warned that there was a key person missing at work and my workload was gonna explode...when I went in...there was someone who was there to cover...I couldnt believe it...could it have been just circumstance...of course..but I couldnt be sure it wasnt GOD...so I thanked him anyway he doesnt mind that I assure you

I appologise that I cant stop talking about him neither I only ever talk about three things, GOD, MYSELF and JENS PULVER...not always in that order
Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Hughes fanboy

YES!!!!!

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 02-20-2010, 02:45 AM
annamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
keep going I too have had a bit of an awakening over this last few weeks...let me tell you now...if you neglect him...you will notice it....you wont be able to hear him and your day will not run aswell...its really strange, but I've noticed it.

This last week a terrible thing happened that could have gotten REALLY nasty VERY quickly...and somehow when the arrows flew...I discovered almost every single other person got one in the head...but I was unscathed...it was...remarkable

I remembered the bit in Psalms, where it says the Hundreds and hundreds of thousands might fall at your side, but you will be left unhurt because GOD will send his Host to look after you...

Well..I SAW IT this week....I sware I am not making this up!!

A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

Well this week...I should have been splattered and completely smushed at work, I should have been in a state of fear, I was in some incredibly awkward situations between increadibly important people at work...I COULDNT have come out of this unscathed without GODs help...I am convinced he helpped me out BIG TIME their

I am so thankful also Its just incredible...he has such power, he can help you do things that you shouldnt be able to do. I know it sound odd, but I sware he slows down time or something...I sware there was more time for me to do the impossible within the deadlines

we must continually pray, about EVERYTHING...think of it like an open dialogue...think of it like posting on this forum...prayer isnt supposed to be restricted to "serious and important" its supposed to be constant. I have discovered I pray about silly things, little things...I was so worried about today after yesterdays war, because I had been warned that there was a key person missing at work and my workload was gonna explode...when I went in...there was someone who was there to cover...I couldnt believe it...could it have been just circumstance...of course..but I couldnt be sure it wasnt GOD...so I thanked him anyway he doesnt mind that I assure you

I appologise that I cant stop talking about him neither I only ever talk about three things, GOD, MYSELF and JENS PULVER...not always in that order
Psalm 91 right? Someone told me to read that today. He calls it the warriors psalm.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
Psalm 91 right? Someone told me to read that today. He calls it the warriors psalm.
Yes, its Psalm 91
Old 02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
surveyorshawn

I have 2 pretty good stories about knowing God. I am coming off a pretty low point in my life, which lasted about 2 and a half years. Prior to that was one of the highest points, spiritually, and, speaking positively, I am about to enter my highest point yet! Several years ago I had a dream. At that time in my life, I had a great deal of knowledge about the Bible. In the dream I was on a big, pointed rock about 8 or 10 ft high, kind of like one of those termite mounds in Africa, except it was wider at the bottom and sloped more evenly on the sides. It had an uneven surface, and there was a very thick fog at the bottom. I moved all over the rock, and in a very short time, I got to know every nook and cranny extremely well...so well, in fact, that I would close my eyes and climb all over it, knowing exactly where I was and what bumps and divits were where. I thought in my mind, "I know everything there is to know about this rock!" Just then, the fog at the bottom started clearing, and I saw that it was not fog at all, but a cloud, and I had been moving around on the very tip of an incredibly immense mountain that extended downward and outward so far that I could not even see the full extent of it, and I realized that my knowledge of it was completely insignificant, and in a lifetime I would never even scratch the surface. I knew that the mountain represented God, and the very little I knew. In my arrogance, I thought I knew more than I did. Although I still had all the same knowledge, I realized it was very small in the big scheme of things, and that was very humbling. I really needed that revelation.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
surveyorshawn

Here is the 2nd story:

Also several years ago, the movie John Q with Denzel Washington came out. My wife and I rented it. Abigail, my oldest, watched it with us. I think she was 7 or 8 at the time. If you have not seen it, the premise of it is that John's (Denzel) son has a heart condition, and needs a transplant. He has insurance problems, and there is no donor heart, among other problems. As the movie winds on, his son is close to dying, and John takes the hospital hostage, then is on the verge of forcing doctors to do a transplant of his own heart with his son as John intends to commit suicide in order to save his son. Of course at the last minute a donor is found, etc.
When the movie was over, Abigail spoke up and said, "Daddy would do that for me!" My wife said, "Well, you know he has other people he cares about too." Abigail could not be deterred, "I know my Daddy would do that for me." Again my wife replied, "He has a lot of people who depend on him. I am sure he would do everything he could to help all of his family and children, but he wouldn't want to leave any of us." Abigail was convinced, and no one could tell her otherwise, "NO! I KNOW MYYY Daddy Would Die to Save ME!!!"
Later that night, as I lay in bed thinking over the events of the day, I thought about what Abigail had said, the boldness with which she said it, and how totally convinced she was. Not one person on this earth could convince her that I would not give my life to save her at the drop of a hat. She was right. I would do that for her, my wife, or any of my children. She knew me well. And I thought, wow, how confidently and boldly we could live life if we would live with that much confidence in our God...that we KNOW that He loves us that much! That there is NOTHING He will not do for us!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Chris F

Praise God man. You make a great point. In the bible (greek) there are two words for knowing. 1- is head knowledge the other is an intimate knowledge. I know this or that but I really know my wife. Glad to see you have discovered the intimate knowing.