Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Im not a once saved always saved believing guy.
Nope, me neither, but I suppose we could start another thread on that....
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
So are you 100% now, not just 51%? Anyways, it shouldn't make a difference, Dave's interpretation is pretty accurate.

In Matthew 24:3, the disciples asked Jesus privately, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and the end of the age?"

Jesus' very first words in response to this question were, "Take heed that no one deceives you." (24:4)

So deception is the greatest danger that any believer faces and knowledge of the Bible is the only way to prevent that deception.

So I think this lie that GOD allows will be very attractive and seem like a very good and holy thing, but it will be blatantly obvious that it is a lie to anyone with a basic knowledge of Scripture.

However, if there was no danger of believers being deceived, then Jesus would have had no need to issue a warning. So this is going to be something that people WANT to believe.

Of course, this begs the question of why? Why would GOD deliberately allow a lie to spread that pulls people away from Him?

I think it will be the final test of mankind. It will completely separate those who follow the Truth of GOD's Word, no matter how much pain and suffering it brings them, and those who just follow whatever seems right in their own eyes and/or whatever justifies their preferred lifestyle choices.

In other words, it will separate those who seek holiness from those who seek tolerance.
your so much more elloquent then I
Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So are you 100% now, not just 51%? Anyways,
Did I say I was 100%? Where did you come up with this?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Did I say I was 100%? Where did you come up with this?
Well, you didn't say, "I'm not sure if I'm a once saved always saved believing guy," you said:

Quote:
Im not a once saved always saved believing guy.
Pretty definitive statement there, so I thought that maybe you had switched from 51% to 100%.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Well, you didn't say, "I'm not sure if I'm a once saved always saved believing guy," you said:

Pretty definitive statement there, so I thought that maybe you had switched from 51% to 100%.
You thinking again. Lets not put words in my mouth.
Didnt you say you were 100%?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 AM

I was saved in high school. Does this mean I'm no longer?

[
Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You thinking again.
Dangit! That's what that weird rattling sound between my ears was earlier.

I'm not 100% either. I think I'm between 60-90%. My view on eternal security is based on my understanding of the Old Testament and the parallels between the Nation of Israel and the Christian walk:

Slavery in Egypt = slavery to sin that we are all born into

Israel being rescued out of Egypt by GOD = salvation

Travel to the Promised Land = our Christian walk as GOD prepares us for His purposes

The Promised Land = GOD's perfect will for our lives (some might believe that the Promised Land would represent Heaven, but Israel's initial role in the Land was one of war and conquest, so it can't be Heaven. I does however, show that GOD's perfect will for our lives is not necessarily one without conflict.)

So how this goes to prove eternal security is that there were many times after being rescued out of Egypt that the Israelites wanted to go back to Egypt and actually longed for their lives of slavery again. They actually tried to go back a few times, but GOD wouldn't allow it.

No matter how severely Israel sinned against GOD and angered Him, GOD never once allowed them to go back to Egypt to resume their lives of slavery. GOD never even threatened them with it. They were His people and that was that. Going back to their previous lives in Egypt was not an option... at all.

For the Biblical proof of this, just read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

Also, there is this:

Romans 6: 22 - But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

When we become Christians, we become slaves to GOD. A slave is somebody's property. Just like any other property, only the owner can decide when and if to relinquish ownership. In other words, GOD owns us and He is not going to let go of us, not even if we want Him to let go. Walking away is not an option.

Those who successfully walk away from GOD were never truly followers of GOD to begin with.

Maybe 95%.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 PM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I was saved in high school. Does this mean I'm no longer?
I wouldn't worry about it. Living in the fear of "losing your salvation" has the potential to lead one to try to "stay saved" by virtue of works. Just live for God and roll on with it! If you fall, repent and get back after it. Prov. 24:16a "for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again,..." Those are the characteristics of someone who is saved and stays that way. IF you can lose your salvation, it certainly could not be by something else taking it away from you (Romans 8:37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.), but because you quit God & turn away from Him for good. I believe there is plenty of scripture that says you can turn away, so just don't do that!!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
but because you quit God & turn away from Him for good. I believe there is plenty of scripture that says you can turn away, so just don't do that!!
So, GOD will never let go of you. Satan himself, angels, demons, governments, world powers, etc, can never snatch you from Him hand. However, you can just walk away from GOD of your own free will? Do you really believe that GOD would actually allow that from someone who belongs to Him?

Read the Old Testament and tell me what GOD's reaction was when the Israelites tried, many times, to walk away from Him.

When we get saved, we are GOD's property. Because we were purchased with Jesus' blood. Thus, walking away from Him is NOT an option... EVER. You are no longer your own person and you no longer have the free will to decide when and if to terminate your relationship with GOD.

Those who successfully walk away from GOD were simply never truly saved to begin with. Sure they might have seemed holy and righteous to us, but we can only judge others by their outward appearances, we cannot judge their heart like GOD does.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So, GOD will never let go of you.

Timothy 2:12: "If we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us."

When we get saved, we are GOD's property.
We still have free will.

Nate you have a opinion just like everyone on here. Thats all it is.