Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 AM
atomdanger

Default Top 10 (US) PPV sporting events of 2009

Quote:
1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11 - 1.6 million
2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14 - 1.25 million
3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19 - 1.05 million
4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31 - 920,000
5. UFC 101: B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8 - 850,000
6. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2 - 825,000
7t. UFC 107: B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12 - 650,000
7t. UFC 97: Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18 - 650,000
9. UFC 98: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23 - 635,000
10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5 - 582,000
I like that WWE still makes the list.
Good stuff, Interesting to see boxing with 3 events on the list.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

WWE still does amazingly well on the whole, even if it's not dominating the PPV game like it was back in the day. The WWE is still easily making more money than it's MMA counterpart, the UFC, when you consider all the WWE's other avenues of income such as games, toys, and other merchandise. Not to mention that the WWE is still selling out arenas all over the country twice a week for it's TV shows RAW and Smackdown.

Boxing is Boxing and it's not gonna change. The followers of the sport know where to get their Boxing, such as HBO, Showtime, and ESPN. The biggest fights in Boxing are the ones that get PPV, and they typically do record numbers because of the fact that the market is not as saturated as MMA is right now. The promoters take months, and sometimes years, to promote and build up the fights.

Sure, the UFC is delivering a PPV card every month, and the last 5 years has been awesome for MMA and the UFC, but the casual water cooler fans are already starting to get sick of the same old song and dance. People are starting to catch on that a lot of these fights we have been seeing recently are just filler and it's not worth shelling out $50 every month. The UFC definitely has it's hardcore fanbase to fall back on, and it will still do lots of buys for years to come, but I think we will definitely start to see a decline in interest if they don't do something new to spice it up. Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome UFC cards on that list, and they definitely drummed up enough hype last year, but I still think that the time is coming where they are going to have to change it up.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 PM
atomdanger

I agree, I have been complaining the last year or so that the UFC is really over saturating things.
They are going to do like 20 events this year... come on...
It seems like there used to be a title fight every PPV.
Now, we're lucky to see one every 3rd or 4th.

and you're right about the WWE being on top of merch,
I remember an interview with Stone Cold Steve Austin and he said he was pulling 7 figures a year in merch royalties. Apparently WWE did just under 500 million in revenue in 2009, and that was a bad year for them.
Vince is a hell of a business man.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Yeah, there are just way too many UFC PPV's for too much money. Plus, it's like 80% of the UFC is shown on PPV, unless it's during TUF season. The WWE still does a PPV every month, but they are not all $50 and the WWE is still giving it's fan's a ton of non- PPV shows. RAW is done live on Monday nights, and then they do a Tuesday night show where they tape all the footage for the ECW and Friday Night Smack-Down shows. That is a TON of exposure, but that also took over 40 years to achieve.

Vince is a great businessman, and the WWE has a great business model. I don't think it's any secret that pro-wrestling has actually played an intricate role in the success of the UFC. Dana White basically emulates Vince, and the UFC and WWE have kinda been strange bedfellows for a long time. Brock Lesnar is who he is today because of the WWE, and Ken Shamrock used his success in the early UFC to become a popular wrestler in the WWE, which also brought some wrestling fans into MMA when he left wrestling and went back to fighting. So it really has gone hand in hand.

Even Boxers have worked with pro-wrestling before. Mayweather did it a couple times, Mike Tyson has done it a couple times, Ricky Hatton, even Ali did it a couple times back in the day.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:44 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Yeah, there are just way too many UFC PPV's for too much money. Plus, it's like 80% of the UFC is shown on PPV, unless it's during TUF season. The WWE still does a PPV every month, but they are not all $50 and the WWE is still giving it's fan's a ton of non- PPV shows. RAW is done live on Monday nights, and then they do a Tuesday night show where they tape all the footage for the ECW and Friday Night Smack-Down shows. That is a TON of exposure, but that also took over 40 years to achieve.

Vince is a great businessman, and the WWE has a great business model. I don't think it's any secret that pro-wrestling has actually played an intricate role in the success of the UFC. Dana White basically emulates Vince, and the UFC and WWE have kinda been strange bedfellows for a long time. Brock Lesnar is who he is today because of the WWE, and Ken Shamrock used his success in the early UFC to become a popular wrestler in the WWE, which also brought some wrestling fans into MMA when he left wrestling and went back to fighting. So it really has gone hand in hand.

Even Boxers have worked with pro-wrestling before. Mayweather did it a couple times, Mike Tyson has done it a couple times, Ricky Hatton, even Ali did it a couple times back in the day.
Oh choreographed or not pro wrestling is tough,
and if I were an MMA fighter or boxer I would definitely considering working with the WWE.
More exposure, more fans, more money, all good things imo

Yeah, I think this is the first year that I won't order every card like I have for the last 5 years.
I "can" afford it, but even though I can, I still feel like im getting ripped off.

For instance, I am skipping 111, or I might watch it at the bar or something
Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
I agree, I have been complaining the last year or so that the UFC is really over saturating things.
They are going to do like 20 events this year... come on...
It seems like there used to be a title fight every PPV.
Now, we're lucky to see one every 3rd or 4th.

and you're right about the WWE being on top of merch,
I remember an interview with Stone Cold Steve Austin and he said he was pulling 7 figures a year in merch royalties. Apparently WWE did just under 500 million in revenue in 2009, and that was a bad year for them.
Vince is a hell of a business man.
and Koscheck is fighting is every single one he says ...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
and Koscheck is fighting is every single one he says ...

[