Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
No. The Green Lynx is completely harmless.

I thought so, when I saw it...It didnt look scary...it looks...beautiful!! There is no reason for something like that, I swear, a large part of creation is GOD simply playing for his own enjoyment. I bet he beams when he sees one of them, because they look...riddiculous

Tarantulas DO in fact moult, however these specific Tarantulas are mostly found in Arizona, and the sunlight down here is one of the factors that causes their hair to become so light do to exposure to the sun.

Right, I know most tarantulas molt, but I didnt realize the sun effects their colours...

Careful with those bro!

Black Widow's pack a nasty bite and the anti-venom can only be administered in severe cases. I have actually heard that once you get the antivenom shot, you can't get it again because it's dangerous and it won't help anyway. So, if you get bit a second time, you either live or die...
Well it was an accident, I was checking in the oranges, and I saw this strange creature, verrra small, it came out from under an orange and crawled up the side of the box...it was so small, that I nearly let it go thinking it was just a normal spider...but something about the way it moved was foreign, it was almost shiny...it didnt have a red hour glass because it was only a baby but it did have a whitish band around the bell...so I blew on it...and it rearerd I couldnt believe what I was seeing...because British Spiders do not rear, they freeze and scrunch up, then leg it...this thing reared up waving its front legs in the air...and I thought...I've got an immigrant here

It was only afterwards they told me it was a Widow of some kind
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Well it was an accident, I was checking in the oranges, and I saw this strange creature, verrra small, it came out from under an orange and crawled up the side of the box...it was so small, that I nearly let it go thinking it was just a normal spider...but something about the way it moved was foreign, it was almost shiny...it didnt have a red hour glass because it was only a baby but it did have a whitish band around the bell...so I blew on it...and it rearerd I couldnt believe what I was seeing...because British Spiders do not rear, they freeze and scrunch up, then leg it...this thing reared up waving its front legs in the air...and I thought...I've got an immigrant here

It was only afterwards they told me it was a Widow of some kind
Hmmm...not sure if it was the same Widow species that we have here in AZ, but none the less, most Widow species are fairly venomous. There is a type of European Black Widow, so it could have possibly been that species.

Finding them in the oranges is no surprise though. It's very common for spiders to end up in shipments of fruit, and we have orange groves all over AZ where they are common.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Hmmm...not sure if it was the same Widow species that we have here in AZ, but none the less, most Widow species are fairly venomous. There is a type of European Black Widow, so it could have possibly been that species.

Finding them in the oranges is no surprise though. It's very common for spiders to end up in shipments of fruit, and we have orange groves all over AZ where they are common.
The shipment came from South Africa

There is a type of European Widow found in England, its grey though and its called the False Widow, because its like the Widow, but not. Its bite it reasonably harmless...but not pleasent...they have moved in because of climate change, we've not had the cold winters, and the summers have been more moist, so they survived when they appeared on the south coast from the mainland, last records showed they had reached the outter boroughs of south london...but then this year we had a cold winter...probably killed the whole lot of them
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Grapes and Bananas are the worst for these things though! particlarly when places like Brazil are in "spider season"
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
The shipment came from South Africa :ninja
Another breeding ground for venomous critters!

Quote:
Grapes and Bananas are the worst for these things though! particlarly when places like Brazil are in "spider season"
Yup!

Another common spider in the USA is the "banana spider" that is commonly found in shipments of bananas, and people usually make the mistake of calling small yellow house spiders "banana spiders".
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Another breeding ground for venomous critters!

Yup!

Another common spider in the USA is the "banana spider" that is commonly found in shipments of bananas, and people usually make the mistake of calling small yellow house spiders "banana spiders".
I HATE Banana Spiders
Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I HATE Banana Spiders
You shouldn't hate any spider!

Your sig is funny btw
Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
You shouldn't hate any spider!

Your sig is funny btw
I forgot to send it to him in time to make the tribute video...but never mind
Old 03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Jimmy Mack

Quote:
ohhh he's Beautiful!!! absolutely adorable...is he venomous???

actually, all spiders are venomous, it is how they kill their prey, only a few of them can kill a human with their venom. I studied insects and worked in the pest control field for many years.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Jimmy Mack

[QUOTE=Jimmy Mack;103509]Quote:
ohhh he's Beautiful!!! absolutely adorable...is he venomous???

actually, all spiders are venomous, it is how they kill their prey, only a few of them can kill a human with their venom. I studied insects and worked in the pest control field for many years.