Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM

[
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
AZ has a lot of cougars in it's mountainous and desert regions, and even some Bears up north in the higher elevations. About a year ago, a cougar wandered into a bar in a mountain town named Cottonwood and started attacking patrons.

What's also funny is I was reading more about those Hunstman spiders in Australia, and it says that while their bite is actually more painful than it is harmful to humans, the spiders are actually known to cause LOTS of car accidents because they like to get in cars and then they scare the crap out of people....
haha holy crap if one of those were in the car I would probably die.

Yeah, we have a lot of cougars and bear, mostly black bear, but there are still grizzly here also.
I typically see 10 - 15 cougar in a summer.
Maybe 20 - 30 bear.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:43 AM
philips4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
All of those makes me appreciate the northwest even more.
Western Washington literally has nothing poisonous.

Other side of the Cascade Mountains (Eastern Washington) has some,
but this side of the mountains is just too cold and wet, thankfully.
Bears, and Cougars, sure.... but I can handle that.
Seriously, I'm so freaked out by those spider pictures, I am so scared of them! I looked at it last night and couldn't finish because it was freaking me out so bad! Talk about nightmares! I agree about WA, I'm from Eastern Washington and lived in Western...nothin! Cougars and bear yeah, but pfft....they wouldn't come in your house and make a web in the corner, and then rip you apart piece by piece while you sleep! Okay, maybe that is a little far fetched but you never know! YUCK! I live in CA now, hardly any bugs and I love it! Coyotes always eat my pets (3 so far) and cougars wonder around but no spiders! Ewwwwww, just ewwwwwwww
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
damn you

Old 02-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
That would definitely startle the crap out of me, but if I really stumbled on this I would HAVE to catch that sucker.
Tell me something...Do the larger Archnids have more then one Egg Sac per Lifespan??

The fatal flaw in that picture is the fact the Mother is still there...I thought that the Mother lays the sac and then she dies, and the next spring the sac bursts open. She seems to be still there, I wonder if some of the Bigger spiders because they can live for many years, actually have nests regularly??
Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Time to burn the house down and start over.

Actually, that photo makes me want to buy several cans of Raid and keep them readily available.... just in case.
You had an evil looking Jumping Spider living right outside your place in 2007...I know, because I was reading and listening to music on that picnick table outside of your house, when the creature fell out of the tree, and scuttled across and then onto the underside of the table.

I told you about it at the time...and you just said "well did it look dangerous?? then leave it alone!"
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Is that a huntsman spider?
Yes I believe so...It not a Tarantular, its not a Jumping, its not a funnel..so my next guess would be some form of Huntsman. its lack of hair, the fact the legs go out to the side, not in the round...I cant tell the shape of the bell which would be elongated in a Huntman though...the problem is, it could be a Spider during a molt, they look completely different when they molt, they also can change colour with age...I caught a Baboon Tar not so long ago...Beautiful specimen...so nice it got sold to a collector...BUT it was young and had just had its first molt...so it was drab looking rather then red and orange! I know a little about Spiders because of my job. I'm the pest person on Produce
Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Green Lynx Spider

ohhh he's Beautiful!!! absolutely adorable...is he venomous???

Funnel Web Spider

I detest Funnels

Arizona Blond Tarantula

I suspect these are a prime example for a colour change...I bet they molt out that colouring every once in a while...during which time they wont look anywhere near so colourfulLast, but certainly not least...the Black Widow

Caught one of those at work also
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Tell me something...Do the larger Archnids have more then one Egg Sac per Lifespan??

The fatal flaw in that picture is the fact the Mother is still there...I thought that the Mother lays the sac and then she dies, and the next spring the sac bursts open. She seems to be still there, I wonder if some of the Bigger spiders because they can live for many years, actually have nests regularly??
I believe that many do, but I am not entirely certain about the specifics of that. However, I do know it is common for the female spiders, especially Tarantuals, to stay with the sac and defend the nest for many weeks, this is the period when the females are most aggressive.

Although, I will admit, I am not completely convinced that the picture is legit just because of "where" I found the picture online, and the big giveaway in my opinion is how large the shadow is coming off the "momma". That looks like a photoshop drop-shadow effect to me.

Last edited by J.B.; 02-19-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
ohhh he's Beautiful!!! absolutely adorable...is he venomous???
No. The Green Lynx is completely harmless.

Quote:
I suspect these are a prime example for a colour change...I bet they molt out that colouring every once in a while...during which time they wont look anywhere near so colourful
Tarantulas DO in fact moult, however these specific Tarantulas are mostly found in Arizona, and the sunlight down here is one of the factors that causes their hair to become so light do to exposure to the sun.

Quote:
Caught one of those at work also
Careful with those bro!

Black Widow's pack a nasty bite and the anti-venom can only be administered in severe cases. I have actually heard that once you get the antivenom shot, you can't get it again because it's dangerous and it won't help anyway. So, if you get bit a second time, you either live or die...