Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Country Breakfast

Default UFC 97 Saved

Report: UFC 97 is saved, will go on as planned in Montreal
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm ET
A UFC 97 event planned for the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, has reportedly been saved.

Lat week Canadian officials said the UFC could not conduct the April 18 "UFC 97: Redemption" card with the UFC's current rules.

However, according to corussports.com, a French-language website that has covered the series of events, the UFC will prohibit foot stomps at the commission's request, but elbow and knee strikes will not be banned for the upcoming pay-per-view show.

Réjean Thériault, the communications director for the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, which governs alcohol, racing, gambling and combat sports in Quebec, initially stated the UFC's use of elbows and knees to the head do not currently fall in line with the commission's policies.

The commission's current policies only apply to boxing, kickboxing and something called "mixed boxing" that does not include MMA. The policies do not provide regulations on the use of a cage.

The commission's stance was especially confusing since representatives said the commission was unaware that UFC 83, attended by more than 21,000 people and generating $5.1 million in ticket sales, took place in Montreal in 2008.

UFC officials Lorenzo Fertitta and Marc Ratner met with the Canadian officials on Tuesday and apparently hashed out a deal.

As a back-up plan, the organization began making preparations for a possible move to the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas for UFC 97, Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole reported Tuesday.

UFC 97 features a main event between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and challenger Thales Leites, and former UFC light-heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell takes on Mauricio "Shogun' Rua in the co-main event.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Country Breakfast

Well, I for one will rest easy knowing that those vicious foot stomps will not be allowed.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 AM
lc87

What would they have done about the tickets? Refund those that wanted refunded. Or pay travel expenses?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breakfast
Well, I for one will rest easy knowing that those vicious foot stomps will not be allowed.
Imagine the shock of the competitors that didn't know they were allowed

[
Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 AM
lc87

Good thing lebens not fighting. To lose a point then end up loseing the fight. Kinda like nate marqurdt did. Even though I did not agree with one of the fouls called.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 AM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc87
Good thing lebens not fighting. To lose a point then end up loseing the fight. Kinda like nate marqurdt did. Even though I did not agree with one of the fouls called.
Beat me to it! I was about to make a Chris Leben comment.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 AM
matthughesfan21

The brutatlity of foot stomps are just too much, but elbows, knees and kicks are fine...I hate foot stomps, but seriously, to eliminate those after complaining about brutality is just a joke...South Park was right haha
Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 AM
lc87

And what was the old john candy movie? BLAME CANADA was a big song/theme in the movie if I remember correctly.