Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
rearnakedchoke

Default Facing Ali

There was a two-hour show on Spike with prominent opponents of Ali and build up to the fights. Was pretty cool. We have all heard the stories of Foreman, Frazier, Holmes and Norton, but it was cool hearing from Cooper, Terrell, Shavers and Spinks. There was also a part with Chuvalo which is cool. He has a story to tell, and being from Toronto, I have heard it, but if you haven't, read about it ... sad but eye-opening story.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I haven't got a chance to see it yet, but I will see it soon.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 PM
SteveT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
There was a two-hour show on Spike with prominent opponents of Ali and build up to the fights. Was pretty cool. We have all heard the stories of Foreman, Frazier, Holmes and Norton, but it was cool hearing from Cooper, Terrell, Shavers and Spinks. There was also a part with Chuvalo which is cool. He has a story to tell, and being from Toronto, I have heard it, but if you haven't, read about it ... sad but eye-opening story.
Very true. George's story is very very sad. He came to my high school back in the 90's and to hear him say his story in person is tearful.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Okay, I actually bought this movie over XBOX Live last night and even though I was busy while I was watching it, I did like it a lot and I'm glad I bought it instead of just renting it.

Now, I gotta be honest. I'm a die-hard boxing fan, so you can throw me a breadcrumb of coverage and I will gobble it up like it's a Ritz cracker, just because I'm in the 15% of Boxing fans who love the sport no matter what. With that being said, most of the stories about Ali are already fairly well known so there were not too many surprises when it came to what they said about Ali. What I think made the movie great was just it's format, and how they showed the contrasting opinions of the some the biggest names Ali fought.

Now, here is JB's top 5 best parts of the movie...

1. Leon Spinks crying out "I beat the motherf**ker" - I literally laughed out loud

2. Joe Frazier showing respect.... in his own way - I didn't expect that.

3. George Chuvalo dressed as a "washer woman" calling Ali "Cautious Clay" - again, LOL

4. George Foreman NOT selling a grill - I absolutely love Foreman, and anytime I can hear him just talk about Boxing it's entertaining to me.

5. Ali speaking the truth when he said "If GOD is with me, can't nobody be against me" - It gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Last edited by J.B.; 02-20-2010 at 08:55 PM.