Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 AM
annamal

Default Why do most christians worship on sunday?

In the bible it says the seventh day is the sabbath. On any callender the seventh day of the week is saturday. So why do most christians worship on sunday? Can man really change something that God has set forth? Does it really matter, as long as it is every six days, which day of the week it happens to fall on? I've heard three different reasons for this and I don't buy any of them. But really, does it really matter? I'm not trying to stir up a debate, this is something that I'm really struggling with. I'm looking for a church and the sabbath keeping church in my area is not a place that I am comfortable in. There are of course many many many sunday keeping churches to choose from.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Chris F

In the Book of acts the day of worship changed ot the Lord's day which is Sunday because that is the day he rose. Christians do not keep the traditional sabbath because Jesus is our sabbath not a day. We are simply commanded to give a tithe of our week if you will to him. Some may do that on Sunday others may not. Paul addresses this in depth in his epistles.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
In the bible it says the seventh day is the sabbath. On any callender the seventh day of the week is saturday. So why do most christians worship on sunday? Can man really change something that God has set forth? Does it really matter, as long as it is every six days, which day of the week it happens to fall on? I've heard three different reasons for this and I don't buy any of them. But really, does it really matter? I'm not trying to stir up a debate, this is something that I'm really struggling with. I'm looking for a church and the sabbath keeping church in my area is not a place that I am comfortable in. There are of course many many many sunday keeping churches to choose from.
True Christians Worship GOD every single day of the week, and talk to him many times a day

I myself always wake up singing a song, and I often spend hours in the afternoon alone in a chiller bagging up mouldy produce, and whilst I'm doing it (and as the room is soundproofed ) I sing to him then aswell.

I always pray on the hop on the way too and from the gym on an evening...its been a time of great revelation for me in the last month or so.

...and before you ask...He speaks back aswell, and he helps me, actively helps me...as in...the one day I ignored him this week, I NOTICED the difference...I mean REALLY noticed the difference..it was horribible I wont ignore him again...because life is better with him in it...as in, all the time...not as in just on a Sunday
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM
annamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
In the Book of acts the day of worship changed ot the Lord's day which is Sunday because that is the day he rose. Christians do not keep the traditional sabbath because Jesus is our sabbath not a day. We are simply commanded to give a tithe of our week if you will to him. Some may do that on Sunday others may not. Paul addresses this in depth in his epistles.
Ok, so I read the book of Acts last night. I couldn't find anything pertaining to the Sabbath being changed to Sunday. Could you please tell me where that is. It says that Jesus rose again on the third day but I thought thats because he was crucified and died on Friday and then rested over Saturday, to be risen up on Sunday. I wonder why he wasn't risen on the Sabbath, you would think that would be a pretty good day.

Maybe I'm just making mountains out of molehills, since it doesn't seem to bother anyone else, but you'd think since God put it in the ten commandments it would be kind of imortant to him. Anyway, I will read the epistles of Paul next. I'm assuming those the are the books that come after Acts?

Incidently, what I was taught growing up in the SDA church was that the Emporer Constantine changed it to Sunday in an effort to unite the Christians and Pagans in his kingdom. Which is also how Easter, the celebration of Christ being risen from the dead, got mixed up with a celebration of the fertility goddess. And that the Catholic church in an effort to legitimize sunday worship, stated that they had changed it themselves, which is pretty ballsy if you ask me, but that's the catholic church for you.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
surveyorshawn

Colossians 2:15-17 (New International Version):

15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[a]

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Colossians 2:15-17 (King James Version):

15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Ok, so I read the book of Acts last night. I couldn't find anything pertaining to the Sabbath being changed to Sunday. Could you please tell me where that is. It says that Jesus rose again on the third day but I thought thats because he was crucified and died on Friday and then rested over Saturday, to be risen up on Sunday. I wonder why he wasn't risen on the Sabbath, you would think that would be a pretty good day.

Maybe I'm just making mountains out of molehills, since it doesn't seem to bother anyone else, but you'd think since God put it in the ten commandments it would be kind of imortant to him. Anyway, I will read the epistles of Paul next. I'm assuming those the are the books that come after Acts?

Incidently, what I was taught growing up in the SDA church was that the Emporer Constantine changed it to Sunday in an effort to unite the Christians and Pagans in his kingdom. Which is also how Easter, the celebration of Christ being risen from the dead, got mixed up with a celebration of the fertility goddess. And that the Catholic church in an effort to legitimize sunday worship, stated that they had changed it themselves, which is pretty ballsy if you ask me, but that's the catholic church for you.
I had a feeling you were seventh day by the question. Your denomination teaches that in order to be saved you must worship on the sabbath. This is legalism and adds a work for ones salvation which is clearly taught against in scripture. It is by faith alone one is saved. Works are a product of faith not the provider of it. Col 2:16 is clear that man cannot judge ones faith by their sabbath keeping.

In Acts the church started worshiping on the first day of the week. This is when they brought their tithes and such. Paul reconfirms this. I do not have the exact citations at the moment. I will try ot get them for you.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
annamal

I wouldn't call myself Seventh Day Adventist now. I was raised in the church and spent 12 years in adventist schools, but I haven't actually been to the church but once in 4 years. The longer I am out of that culture, the more questions I have. You're right that they are very legalistic. I do think that they have alot of the truth and I still agree with some of their beliefs.

That verse in Collosians is very interesting to me, it has never been brought to my attention before. I was also reading in Acts where the apostles are converting the gentiles and some of the jews have a problem with it, saying that the gentiles should have to abide by all their laws including circumcision. After talking it over between themselves the apostles came to the conclusion that what God had made holy (the gentiles), who were they to call them unholy. And that the laws of the jews were hard enough for the jews themselves to follow so they shouldn't try to put them onto the gentiles. Although they did give them a few guidelines about not eating food offered to idols and such. At least that's the way I understood it. Now that I think about it I remember reading something on this forum before about the laws of the old testament being nullified after the death and resurrection of Christ.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
County Mike

Because I'm off work on Sunday.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM
annamal

As I was reading further in Colossians ch. 2, verses 20-22 also stood out to me. "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings."

Actually all of verse two was very helpful and interesting. Adventists follow many of the laws of the Old Testament and I've always wondered how other religions could just ignore them.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Chris F

Quote:
As I was reading further in Colossians ch. 2, verses 20-22 also stood out to me. "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings."

Actually all of verse two was very helpful and interesting. Adventists follow many of the laws of the Old Testament and I've always wondered how other religions could just ignore them.
You will notice in Acts 16 I believe they had to set things straight. And they essentially did away with all of the laws of Moses, (dietary, etc) except for eating strangled animals and those with blood still. This is obvious since doing either is very unhealthy and could make you sick. Questions are great as they bring more study in His word. I am sure the more you look into it the more truth you will discover. This is why we all need to study to show ourselves approved and not just swallow what our traditions teach us.