Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Chuck

Default Police shoot, kill chimp that attacked woman

(CNN) -- A woman has been hospitalized with serious injuries to her face, neck and hands after a pet chimpanzee attacked her at a friend's home in Stamford, Connecticut.

Travis is shown in 2003, when he escaped and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford, Connecticut.

1 of 2 Charla Nash, 55, had just arrived at her friend Sandra Herold's house when the chimp, named Travis, jumped on her and began biting and mauling her, according to Stamford Police Capt. Rich Conklin, who said the attack was unprovoked.

Herold had called Nash over to her house to help get Travis back inside after he used a key to free himself from the house.

After the attack, Herold was unable to pull the primate off her friend. She then called 911 before grabbing a butcher knife and stabbing the chimp, who police said was like a child to her.

Stamford police shot the chimp multiple times when he ripped off a side mirror and tried to enter a police cruiser, Conklin said. Travis returned to the house and died inside.

Conklin estimated Travis to be in his 20s, weighing close to 200 pounds.

The police captain also said this isn't the first interaction his officers have had with Travis -- the chimp escaped in 2003 and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford for a couple of hours.

In 2005, a different chimp escaped from California's Animal Haven Ranch and chewed off a man's nose and genitals.

During an interview after that attack, wildlife expert Jeff Corwin told CNN's Anderson Cooper that chimpanzees are "absolutely powerful."

"It's often said that an adult chimpanzee weighing in at 150 pounds is three to seven times stronger than a human being," Corwin said.

"The thing about chimpanzees is, we sort of look at them through our rose-colored cultural glasses of the cute little chimp in the 'Tarzan' movie. Those are very young chimps. Chimps grow up, they become very powerful. They are very complex in their behavior. They have a whole range of emotions, including violence and anger."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/16/chi...ef=mpstoryview
Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Stump Rules!

And this is exactly why people shouldn't have wild animal as pets. Everyone thinks their's is different and low and behold....you become lunch

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
(CNN) -- A woman has been hospitalized with serious injuries to her face, neck and hands after a pet chimpanzee attacked her at a friend's home in Stamford, Connecticut.

Travis is shown in 2003, when he escaped and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford, Connecticut.

1 of 2 Charla Nash, 55, had just arrived at her friend Sandra Herold's house when the chimp, named Travis, jumped on her and began biting and mauling her, according to Stamford Police Capt. Rich Conklin, who said the attack was unprovoked.

Herold had called Nash over to her house to help get Travis back inside after he used a key to free himself from the house.

After the attack, Herold was unable to pull the primate off her friend. She then called 911 before grabbing a butcher knife and stabbing the chimp, who police said was like a child to her.

Stamford police shot the chimp multiple times when he ripped off a side mirror and tried to enter a police cruiser, Conklin said. Travis returned to the house and died inside.

Conklin estimated Travis to be in his 20s, weighing close to 200 pounds.

The police captain also said this isn't the first interaction his officers have had with Travis -- the chimp escaped in 2003 and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford for a couple of hours.

In 2005, a different chimp escaped from California's Animal Haven Ranch and chewed off a man's nose and genitals.

During an interview after that attack, wildlife expert Jeff Corwin told CNN's Anderson Cooper that chimpanzees are "absolutely powerful."

"It's often said that an adult chimpanzee weighing in at 150 pounds is three to seven times stronger than a human being," Corwin said.

"The thing about chimpanzees is, we sort of look at them through our rose-colored cultural glasses of the cute little chimp in the 'Tarzan' movie. Those are very young chimps. Chimps grow up, they become very powerful. They are very complex in their behavior. They have a whole range of emotions, including violence and anger."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/16/chi...ef=mpstoryview
I don't think people will ever learn that these are "wild" animals not domesticated no matter how long you've had them (e.g., since baby...). And I'm not only referring to this chimpanzee, but the whole "wild kingdom" that people want to make into household pets.

When I was about six years old, our mom was away and had this elderly lady watching my sisters and I. Anyway, her sister called and we went over to the woman's house and her son had a chimpanzee there and it was loose. It was climbing the curtains all wild and then it scratched my twin sister. As kids we were fascinated of course, but after it went after my sister, we were scared of it.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

What's even funnier is when people get a pet boa constrictor and think they can domesticate it. It's a reptile, it hasn't any chance of being domesticated.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 AM
sender

yeh chimps have awesome stength! Their muscles are built totaly different than ours thats what allows them to be so damn strong. Way to dangerous to be a pet... some people are so freakin dumb.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Stump Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I don't think people will ever learn that these are "wild" animals not domesticated no matter how long you've had them (e.g., since baby...). And I'm not only referring to this chimpanzee, but the whole "wild kingdom" that people want to make into household pets.

When I was about six years old, our mom was away and had this elderly lady watching my sisters and I. Anyway, her sister called and we went over to the woman's house and her son had a chimpanzee there and it was loose. It was climbing the curtains all wild and then it scratched my twin sister. As kids we were fascinated of course, but after it went after my sister, we were scared of it.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
What's even funnier is when people get a pet boa constrictor and think they can domesticate it. It's a reptile, it hasn't any chance of being domesticated.
I have a snake (Odie), have owned several and know plenty of people who also own snakes... but I've never actually met someone that tried to domesticate one. The fact that they are wild is part of the alure to most owners I know.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I have a snake (Odie), have owned several and know plenty of people who also own snakes... but I've never actually met someone that tried to domesticate one. The fact that they are wild is part of the alure to most owners I know.
Oh ok, well perhaps that's something I don't know. I've just seen news videos where a dog, baby, or even a small child was eaten by large snakes that were "pets". Then the owners are stupid saying things like, "Well it never did anything like that in the past!" DUH!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
And this is exactly why people shouldn't have wild animal as pets. Everyone thinks their's is different and low and behold....you become lunch
Don't say that! My Fluffy loves people!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Oh ok, well perhaps that's something I don't know. I've just seen news videos where a dog, baby, or even a small child was eaten by large snakes that were "pets". Then the owners are stupid saying things like, "Well it never did anything like that in the past!" DUH!
Yeah things like that are frustrating to any snake owner. It makes us all look bad. 9/10 times it's the owners fault for being reckless while feeding or being reckless after feeding.

I will also freely admit that there are quite a few idiots out there who own snakes "cause they're frickin cool man.. rock on " and those folks give people like Jeff and I a bad name. Snakes aren't the typical pet of choice for the average joe...

I know Jeff's been struck a few times.... but I haven't