Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Thanks, JB. I had already posted my ?s here.....

I can't believe they wanted one person to handle all that. I remember watching a documentary of Britney's tour (pre-meltdown). They showed a lot of the stuff you mentioned--sound, lights, everything involved in putting on a show. I know that was on a grander scale than these guys, but still gives you an idea of the huge amount of work (and people) involved in putting on each show. Smart guy to always get them to sign paper. There are a lot of clueless people out there. And a lot of people ready to take advantage of them.

It is a lot of work, and a lot of stress because nothing ever runs 100% smoothly, and it's never a simple fix either, like a bad cord that I have a million of in totes and bags, it's gotta be the one part you can't go buy because the nearest Guitar Center closed an hour ago.

I've done it enough with a ton of different bands over the years to be used to it, so running a smaller scale operation by myself isn't hard for me at all. It's just not worth it though to do the same amount of work every single show and not get paid the same amount of money. They wanted to basically pay me last, and they know that's not how it works. The venue and the crews get paid before the artists just like the venue and the UFC gets paid before the fighters do.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
It is a lot of work, and a lot of stress because nothing ever runs 100% smoothly, and it's never a simple fix either, like a bad cord that I have a million of in totes and bags, it's gotta be the one part you can't go buy because the nearest Guitar Center closed an hour ago.

I've done it enough with a ton of different bands over the years to be used to it, so running a smaller scale operation by myself isn't hard for me at all. It's just not worth it though to do the same amount of work every single show and not get paid the same amount of money. They wanted to basically pay me last, and they know that's not how it works. The venue and the crews get paid before the artists just like the venue and the UFC gets paid before the fighters do.
It's kind of like trying to put the cart before the horse. It may have wheels, but it isn't going anywhere.... That pony ain't stupid!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
It's kind of like trying to put the cart before the horse. It may have wheels, but it isn't going anywhere.... That pony ain't stupid!
Exactly!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM

Like Bonnie said, looks like you made the right decision. It's a good thing you get any agreements in writing...it's too bad it didn't pan out but it sounds like they sort of misrepresented themselves.

I know what you're saying about all the grunt work. My husband is a drummer and they have to schlepp everything around themselves (they are just a local band).

Anyway, glad it all worked out.