Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Do you have any money in savings? Can't you open up an account with a credit union or something that gives between 3-5% interest? Put money in every payday, at least 10% if you can and don't touch it for anything other than an emergency. If you do this, in a few years you will save up a sizable sum and you'll be on your way to some financial stability.

A friend of mine called me some months back and thanked me for my advice to him. By following my advice, he saved, bought a house, and then bought another house. Now he has 2 houses with a positive monthly cash flow. It didn't happen overnight, but that is where patience comes in. I never would have been able to buy my own home unless I saved. It's your money to do with as you wish, but I hope you put a little aside for emergencies and such. Good luck.
I have never heard of a Credit Union...I have an ISA account, which is supposed to be good for making your money grow if you leave it...but the economy is in such a bad state...its like that function...doesnt seem to be working at present.

I actually have some money from Christmas untouched in that account, and anything left over from the birds (remember, the cage is the only true cost...I can probably get it all for about 50 pounds.) I will save...that could be about 50 pounds
Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Do you have any money in savings? Can't you open up an account with a credit union or something that gives between 3-5% interest? Put money in every payday, at least 10% if you can and don't touch it for anything other than an emergency. If you do this, in a few years you will save up a sizable sum and you'll be on your way to some financial stability.

A friend of mine called me some months back and thanked me for my advice to him. By following my advice, he saved, bought a house, and then bought another house. Now he has 2 houses with a positive monthly cash flow. It didn't happen overnight, but that is where patience comes in. I never would have been able to buy my own home unless I saved. It's your money to do with as you wish, but I hope you put a little aside for emergencies and such. Good luck.
I agree with Buzzard. You should save your money. Everyone should have a "rainy day" fund that will cover about 6 months of expenses in case of unemployment, disability, etc. In addition, you can never have too much money saved up for retirement. If you do it now, rather than in 10 years from now, you will have a much larger amount because of compound interest.

If you insist on buying a bird, please go with a Lady Gouldian Finch - a beautiful little bird.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I agree with Buzzard. You should save your money. Everyone should have a "rainy day" fund that will cover about 6 months of expenses in case of unemployment, disability, etc. In addition, you can never have too much money saved up for retirement. If you do it now, rather than in 10 years from now, you will have a much larger amount because of compound interest.

If you insist on buying a bird, please go with a Lady Gouldian Finch - a beautiful little bird.

If I become unemployed I shall be able to withdraw whats called "dole" money from the Government plus benefits...that ironically you cant claim if you have to much savings

We also get a pension from the Government, they collect it in tax every month, called National Insurance...I should put more aside for that, but when I have a better job I shall enter a pension plan.

I have never seens such a bizzare coloured bird, I very much doubt any of the lowly stockists would sell them around here...We only have three pet stores...there was an exotic pet store which would seel stuff like that...but it closed down