Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default I get a Bonus!

it looks like I'm going to get a Bonus at work in a few weeks time...its the first time that we've done well enough to get more then what dissapears on tax

It looks set at 300 stirling!

of course almost 50 is bound to go on tax, if not slightly more

I have 100 going into the overdraft to ensure that I dont dip in and out every month as I have since ADT2 due to extra unforseen costs incured.

That leaves me with a good 100 if not slightly more...

So I've decided I'm going to with some of it! I am going to buy more Birds They are very cheap to keep, next to nothing is spent on Jens...your talking a few pounds across a few weeks. The expense is for the cage and stuff which you get when you buy and only replace when...when he bloody goes and breaks something HE DOES! he's onto his THIRD binky in less then a year and he eats within days the sanded covers for his pearch...

Anyway...I spoke to a bird expert at work, and he said that I could get different birds and keep them in the same room so long as they arent in the same cage...Jens doesnt have room in his cage...and he would NOT share..I just know his temprement too well...He'd probably kill any other bird I stuck in his cage

So I wondered what I might get...I thought maybe something different then a Budgie since I still have Jens...I obviously dont want a big bird, so it would be a finch, or a canery...or maybe a pair of love birds anyway...so I went to one of the local pet stores just to look at their birds since I was in a sorta...mood to see some...and they only had Budgies...and I'm not kidding...their birds made me feel so lucky to own a Budgie like Jens...Jens is beautiful, his colouring is deep blue, his tail feathers are purple, his wing feathers a dark and sharply defined, his feathers all lie and are well pruned, he holds a near perfect angle from tip of head to tale when on the bar....and he's small, He's in good condition, he's shapely, I think becuase I have him out almost every day and make sure he flies until he drops out of the sky (so I can catch him hahaha) it uses up a LOT of energy, does flying, so he is an athletic little bird,

These things in the cages were...obease compared to Jens, their colouring was pale, and their wing feathers undefined and...well...they didnt look or sing like the sort of Bird I would want to keep. I almost felt sorry for them. I mean they were kept in a nice cage, but they didnt have many toys, and I think they were board...and they didnt all get on...there was a green one who was mauling this blue one in the back corner...like...right on pecking at it, and the blue one was curled up with its head tucked under its wing...Seriously...the Green one was bullying him...because that wasnt a playful fight going on.

Jens at present is sat with his head resting against his mineral block...at first I thought he was ill...then I saw the blood feathers...he's using the block to gently relieve the itch...last year he scratched...its only a few feathers down one side...but because they are al close together... he looks very funny indeed
Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
That leaves me with a good 100 if not slightly more...

So I've decided I'm going to with some of it! I am going to buy more Birds

Old 02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:

...I obviously dont want a big bird, so it would be a finch, or a canery...or maybe a pair of love birds

Are you going to name them Tito and Jenna?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Are you going to name them Tito and Jenna?

what about your grocery fund?

[
Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I KNEW you would have an issue with it

I was going to save it all...but Mother said there was no point because of Interest levels or something...and as I worked hard to earn it, I should spend it. I dont want to spend it on something that is going to be used, or eaten...

...and I have dreamed of having more Birds...do not under-estimate their symbological significance to me.

I'm sure I can spend some on Groceries Llama
Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post

what about your grocery fund?
Yeah, then you could afford skinless, non-breaded chicken!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Yeah, then you could afford skinless, non-breaded chicken!
only for a short while...once the money is used up, there will be no more to replace it with...I cant change my whole lifestyle on 300 pounds...unless its PER MONTH...this is a one off payment
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Buzzard

I suggest saving at least 50% of it and letting your money work for you. You never know when you may need it. That's just me though.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I suggest saving at least 50% of it and letting your money work for you. You never know when you may [/b]need[/b] it. That's just me though.
but it wont work for me...thats the point. Even if I put it in my ISA savings...the interest rate at the banks is vertually nothing...its not going to grow by more then pennies unless I leave it for centuries

I'm not that patient
Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
but it wont work for me...thats the point. Even if I put it in my ISA savings...the interest rate at the banks is vertually nothing...its not going to grow by more then pennies unless I leave it for centuries

I'm not that patient
Do you have any money in savings? Can't you open up an account with a credit union or something that gives between 3-5% interest? Put money in every payday, at least 10% if you can and don't touch it for anything other than an emergency. If you do this, in a few years you will save up a sizable sum and you'll be on your way to some financial stability.

A friend of mine called me some months back and thanked me for my advice to him. By following my advice, he saved, bought a house, and then bought another house. Now he has 2 houses with a positive monthly cash flow. It didn't happen overnight, but that is where patience comes in. I never would have been able to buy my own home unless I saved. It's your money to do with as you wish, but I hope you put a little aside for emergencies and such. Good luck.