Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 PM
SteveT

Default Shoulder & Tricep exercises

Hey guys,

Just getting back into the workout regime after a slight injury over the summer time and I was wondering what your suggestions would be for your favorite/best tricep workout. If you have a favorite let me know. If you have ones that you know/heard work the best, let me know. My exercise is still limited at the moment, the injury was lower body so I have to be careful on what I do but I'm interested to hear suggestions.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Robertboxerboy

Skull Crushers
'Lay on your back on a bench take a curl bar and add appropriate weight or grab a dumbbell and hold it so that the dumbell is vertical. Put it behind your head then fully extend your arms then lower still behind your head;repeat.

Thats my favorite
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Bar dips are king for triceps. As for some others, bench press and shoulder press work well.

No need to do isolated tricep work unless you already have big arms (say 15" or bigger). Stick to the basics - heavy compound lifts yield big results.

Want proof? Show me a guy with a 400 pound bench press and tell me he has small triceps, show me a guy who can squat 600 pounds and tell me he has small calves, show me a guy who can do chinups with 100 pounds tied around his waist and tell me he has small biceps, etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
SteveT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Bar dips are king for triceps. As for some others, bench press and shoulder press work well.

No need to do isolated tricep work unless you already have big arms (say 15" or bigger). Stick to the basics - heavy compound lifts yield big results.

Want proof? Show me a guy with a 400 pound bench press and tell me he has small triceps, show me a guy who can squat 600 pounds and tell me he has small calves, show me a guy who can do chinups with 100 pounds tied around his waist and tell me he has small biceps, etc.
I'm limited to what I can do in my house. I was using a chair for dips and putting my feet on another chair and then once that became easy I was putting weights on my legs for added weight but that can become awkward as you can imagine. Shoulder press and bench press I'm already doing.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
I'm limited to what I can do in my house. I was using a chair for dips and putting my feet on another chair and then once that became easy I was putting weights on my legs for added weight but that can become awkward as you can imagine. Shoulder press and bench press I'm already doing.
Yeah, that's a bit tougher. For dips in your house, you can use 2 sawhorses.