Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM
billwilliams70

Default iPod/iTunes Question

I'll be getting an iPod soon. I recently purchased an Alpine deck for my truck that's NOT compatible with my Zune (darn).

Can I purchase songs from the iTunes store without an iPod? All I have to have is an iTunes account right?

Later.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Yup, just download iTunes and sign up and you are good to go
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I can't get the songs to go onto my player.

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question. Sorry. Wanted to get my electronic b*t*h in, too.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Yup, just download iTunes and sign up and you are good to go
Cool.....there's no conversion issues? I heard that the file format of the songs from iTunes doesn't match up with the Zune.

Later.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Yeah, you probably would have to convert those files to play them on a Zune. I know that iTunes uses it's own files types for security purposes, and I am assuming that Microsoft does the same for the Zune and it's marketplace.

However, there are programs you can use to convert the files if you don't mind doing that. I know a lot of the programs I use for audio engineering are capable of it rather easily, but there are also some smaller programs that do it on a mass scale if you wanna do a bunch of songs at one time.

Personally, I prefer using a standard MP3 player and just ripping my own copies of songs to it rather than buying the files from iTunes or anything like that. Those files are super compressed and sound like crap.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Have you thought about buying the new iPad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs
Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Yeah, you probably would have to convert those files to play them on a Zune. I know that iTunes uses it's own files types for security purposes, and I am assuming that Microsoft does the same for the Zune and it's marketplace.

However, there are programs you can use to convert the files if you don't mind doing that. I know a lot of the programs I use for audio engineering are capable of it rather easily, but there are also some smaller programs that do it on a mass scale if you wanna do a bunch of songs at one time.

Personally, I prefer using a standard MP3 player and just ripping my own copies of songs to it rather than buying the files from iTunes or anything like that. Those files are super compressed and sound like crap.
I usually purchase all of my stuff from the digital store at Amazon. However, I'm a stickler for cover art and all that stuff.

I sampled iTunes (to preview it for when I do buy one) and loaded all of my song files into it....some of the artwork didn't transfer over and I had to create an iTunes account in order to get them.

My issue is that if I have a few songs by one artist, but from different CDs, I just name it one CD "____________'s Greatest Hits" and find a picture of the artist to use as the CD artwork. iTunes didn't recognize those CDs. Sux.

My wife's Pilot and my new Alpine deck are kinda forcing my hand to get the iPod......or at least that's how I like to think of it.

Later.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Have you thought about buying the new iPad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs
No. I'm not into all that 'touch' stuff. I just want the iPod Classic 120G, simple music player with no touchy feely crap.

Later.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
with no touchy feely crap.
You reallllllly need to watch the video that I posted now.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
No. I'm not into all that 'touch' stuff. I just want the iPod Classic 120G, simple music player with no touchy feely crap.

Later.

You didn't watch the video, lol

Anyway, if your big thing is having the artwork and all that, then iTunes and iPods are definitely a great way to go unless you actually wanna go buy the album. I don't know much about the Zune players, but I do have Xbox Live and Microsoft switched their Marketplace format for audio and video on Xbox over to "Zune" about a month ago. You will probably run into issues trying to play any content from the Zune Marketplace on an iPod and vise-versa without first converting the files using a third party program. However, both players should be able to play any WAV or MP3 file.