Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
County Mike

Default Helping Haiti? Need protection.

A bunch of people from our church went to Haiti to deliver medical supplies, food and offer help with some rebuilding.

From the moment they got off the plane, they've been under constant protection by armed forces. They've been told to never leave the designated areas that are protected because of the extreme amount of violence by some of the Haitians against aid workers.

Makes me wonder... why bother? If they're the type of people who will attack the aid workers, then do they deserve any help? I know it's not ALL the Haitians that are causing problems but it's apparently a large amount. What kind of people are these that have just survived a huge natural disaster and choose to attack the people trying to help them? Boggles my mind.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Yes, it is sad.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Twinsmama

It's sad to see anyone being hurt and in the shape that they are in.

I know I wouldn't go over there.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
A bunch of people from our church went to Haiti to deliver medical supplies, food and offer help with some rebuilding.

From the moment they got off the plane, they've been under constant protection by armed forces. They've been told to never leave the designated areas that are protected because of the extreme amount of violence by some of the Haitians against aid workers.

Makes me wonder... why bother? If they're the type of people who will attack the aid workers, then do they deserve any help? I know it's not ALL the Haitians that are causing problems but it's apparently a large amount. What kind of people are these that have just survived a huge natural disaster and choose to attack the people trying to help them? Boggles my mind.
It looked scary on the news seeing those thugs walking around with those machetes. Their whole infrastructure has collapsed along with all those buildings and it didn't look like whatever Haitian government officials were there stepped up to try to create some law and order as soon as possible. Remember the scenes after Katrina in New Orleans....and this situation is way more than that because of where it happened and the already dire circumstances that existed there before the quake.

I can't say enough about those people from your church and all the doctors and nurses and others from America who felt compelled to go there and help those poor people. It would be horrible if anything happened to any of those who have gone over to help the Haitians. May GOD's hand be over everyone over there.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post

These kinds of events bring out the best in some people, but they bring out the worst in others. The opportunists, those who only think about themselves above all else, will always try to find a way to profit or gain power during disasters.

It's the same scenario that we faced in Somalia. The warlords would seize all the food that the UN was dropping in, so they could keep the people starving and retain their stranglehold over the entire country.

In this case, the entire Haitian government has been destroyed, so the country has fallen into anarchy, which always progresses into a "might makes right" situation. Which is why we need to go in there, with strong military might, and instill some law and order into the chaos. As long as the thugs carrying out these attacks on aid workers fear our troops more than they fear starvation, then stability will eventually be restored.

The simple fact of the matter is that humans are inherently evil, but that shouldn't stop us from helping them when they are in need. Even when they are not grateful for that help.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Stump Rules!

I guess just try and remember that the majority are so thankful that people are there to help. Please don't let the bad people discourage.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM
County Mike

Update from our church group in Haiti:

Haiti Update:There are 40 tons of food designated to their compound but being held up due to "official channels" by the UN, who won't release it. This "complaint" is what everyone is seeing. Pallets of unreleased food while people are starving. We're smelling a political rat! So please pray! They are going on a missio...n outside the compound today to try to obtain some of the food for the people camped around them.See More