Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-28-2010, 06:13 PM
billwilliams70

Default The Oakland Raiders

One of the other sites that I belong to is a Raiders website....much like this one, but not as personal......too many members.

Someone created a thread asking how to convince young family members (nephews) to become Raiders fans. They live in Steelers country, so just about everything that the poster can say to convince the young'uns why they should like the Raiders (history, toughness, etc.) can also be said about the Steelers (and then some actually).

I posted this, these are my thoughts on "convincing" young family members to follow your team, and I wanted to share them here.

I tried with my son, when he was really little….dressed him in Raiders gear, all kinds of stuff, even played a tape of the Autumn Wind in his room from time to time.

When I was in Korea, John Elway and the Broncos were makin’ their run at the Super Bowl, low and behold, they won. Tim was young and impressionable and didn’t have me there to guide him. He fell in love with the snorting horse and John Elway’s determination to win. He was four when the won Super Bowl XXXII (25 JAN 98)and six when they won Super Bowl XXXIII (31 JAN 99). His birthday is 28 January.

Was I angry that he was a Broncos fan? Nope. He was a great kid. He loved football. He played all sports when he was younger, but as soon as he could played his first game of tackle football and got to hit people, he was sold on football. It became his sport. He won two state championships as an offensive and defensive lineman in his freshman and sophomore years. The team dedicated this past undefeated third straight state championship season to him……and he meant a lot to them as well.

When the Raiders played the Buccaneers in Super Bowl XXXVII, Tim wore one of my Raiders jersey’s. He did it to show his support to me and acknowledge how proud I was that my Raiders had made it back to the Super Bowl.
A few years ago, we went to the Titans game when the Raiders came to town. I knew that we were gonna meet up with a few folks from this site at the game and was excited to meet everyone. Tim proudly wore his Broncos Champ Bailey jersey. The Raider Nation gave him slack, said that he was wearing the wrong jersey….he insisted that it was the right one because he got it out of HIS closet, so it must have been the right one.

We didn’t always watch football together, but when the Raiders and the Broncos played….if it was on TV, we made clam dip and watched and those are memories of my son that I will cherish forever.

My son is family and he’s my favorite football player ever! There isn’t a single Raider on the roster (past and present) that means more to me than family…..so as RINY said, don’t convince them, just enjoy the game of football with them.

Today is his birthday!

Later.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM

What wonderful memories; thank you for sharing them with us on Tim's special day.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Miss Foxy

Wonderful story and go RAIDERS!! I like them not as much as the Saints, but my BF loves the Raiders he is all Raider Nation!!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Awesome story Bill

Nice change of pace from the usual debating here in the sports section!