Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Stump Rules!

Default UFC 112 confirmed for Abu Dhabi

The Ultimate Fighting Championship will hold UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi... done deal.

That’s the word from Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole, who confirmed the event with UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

Despite confirming the sale of a 10-percent stake in the promotion to Flash Entertainment, a company wholly owned by the Abu Dhabi government, UFC officials weren’t quite sure if a venue could be put together fast enough for a proposed April 10 date in Abu Dhabi.

A new venue will be built for future UFC events, but UFC 112 will be held in the outdoor Concert Arena at Ferrari World on Yas Island.

“This is one of the biggest and most significant nights in the history of the UFC,” company president Dana White told Yahoo! Sports. “UFC 112 is our first ever outdoor event and it is taking place in the hometown of our brand new partners, Flash Entertainment.”

As expected, two title bouts will head the event. Anderson Silva will defend his middleweight strap against Vitor Belfort and UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn will fight Frankie Edgar.

The card will also feature Renzo Gracie making his UFC debut against former welterweight titleholder Matt Hughes.

Abu Dhabi has long been a strong supporter of mixed martial arts, and has a particular interest in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Members of the royal family have trained extensively with Renzo and other members of the Gracie family over the years.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, has been a strong backer of the Art of War mixed martial arts promotion in China, a market the UFC has been working hard to crack. Sheikh Mohammed is believed to be one of the key players orchestrating the deal with the UFC, bringing the event to Abu Dhabi.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...10592&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Mac

Man , oughta be an exciting night .
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Man , oughta be an exciting night .
That's an understatement gorilla man. (just kidding, you gotta admit, the joke WAS funny).

I think that this is one of the best cards the UFC has put together, can't wait!

Later.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Miss Foxy

Yes!!!!!!!! I am totally gonna get up and do the moonwalk!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Stump Rules!

I'm pretty excited to.Wished it was here though

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
billwilliams70

Is Belfort ready for Silva?

Your thoughts....

Later.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Mac

Tell ya what i want to see , I want a video up close and personal . I want to see the look on those arabs faces when Bocephus is cranking through the load speakers.

Recon them fellas have ever even heard of Hank Jr lol.

Boomer , make it happen lol.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Is Belfort ready for Silva?

Your thoughts....

Later.
i don't think so, but more ready than Cote or Leites will ever be ... Vitor has a better chance than both of them, so it should be interesting for a while i hope
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tell ya what i want to see , I want a video up close and personal . I want to see the look on those arabs faces when Bocephus is cranking through the load speakers.

That's awesome. I hadn't thought of the entrance music part of this whole thing.

~Amy
Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:

Like Amy, I didn't even think of that aspect of the card. It sure will interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i don't think so, but more ready than Cote or Leites will ever be ... Vitor has a better chance than both of them, so it should be interesting for a while i hope
I don't think he's ready either and it should be interesting for a while. It might take Silva a round to guage things (similar to the Hendo fight).

Later.