Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
billwilliams70

Angry CBS Reacts to Controversial Tebow Super Bowl Ad

CBS responded to complaints over a conservative group's planned Super Bowl ad featuring football star Tim Tebow by saying that it had eased restrictions on advocacy ads and would consider "responsibly produced" ones for open spots in its Feb. 7 broadcast.

Read the rest here.

This is the kind of thing that's wrong.

I posted this here (in The Woodshed) because I didn't think it REALLY falls into the Christianity forum.

It's okay to have commercials during the Super Bowl of half naked girls and other things that may (or may not) 'offend' a viewer.....but when someone gives a real life account of a topic that's deemed controversial (and that real life account goes hand in hand with the FAITH of the person speaking) it's picked apart and frowned upon.

Later.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

This is something I've almost come to expect nowadays. People can't handle a conservative point of view getting major national exposure. It makes the libtards extremely butthurt.

The real shocker in this is that doctors wanted Tim Tebow to be aborted. Those doctors must not have been Gators fans.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Hughes fanboy

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness....
Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!" Isaiah 5:20-21

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
This is something I've almost come to expect nowadays. People can't handle a conservative point of view getting major national exposure. It makes the libtards extremely butthurt.
LMAO!!! Good point. Actually, I'm glad to see a positive message about choosing life. O'Reilly had an excellent debate (for once) with a woman over this topic yesterday.

The coarsening of our society has been going on for a long time. I'm continually amazed at some of the shows/ads/promos aired during prime time - is there any angle left to exploit, any line not yet crossed? Tough to find the right balance between censorship and freedom of speech, isn't it?

No one has seen the specifics of this ad yet except for the people involved in making it and CBS; they all agree it is simply an uplifting, positive, non-political message.

I know you being humorous, JB, but I think you are spot on.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Shoots like a girl

Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM
rearnakedchoke

As Christians, shouldn't we be prepared for this and know that it and worse is coming?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
nevermind, i guess we are. LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
LMAO!!! Good point. Actually, I'm glad to see a positive message about choosing life. O'Reilly had an excellent debate (for once) with a woman over this topic yesterday.

The coarsening of our society has been going on for a long time. I'm continually amazed at some of the shows/ads/promos aired during prime time - is there any angle left to exploit, any line not yet crossed? Tough to find the right balance between censorship and freedom of speech, isn't it?

No one has seen the specifics of this ad yet except for the people involved in making it and CBS; they all agree it is simply an uplifting, positive, non-political message.

I know you being humorous, JB, but I think you are spot on.
It's not a freedom of speech issue at all. Though I am against abortion, I don't want to see a commercial about it during the Superbowl. I think CBS is looking for more "fun" type commercials to go along with the spirit of the game. I generally ignore the commercials most of the time anyway. Either way, it's their call as to what they decide to play on their network.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
It's not a freedom of speech issue at all. Though I am against abortion, I don't want to see a commercial about it during the Superbowl. I think CBS is looking for more "fun" type commercials to go along with the spirit of the game. I generally ignore the commercials most of the time anyway. Either way, it's their call as to what they decide to play on their network.
CBS could give two craps about the spirit of the game. All they care about is the millions upon millions of dollars they generate in ad revenue from the Super Bowl.

She didn't say that it was a matter of CBS denying free speech, she was commenting on what I said about all the libtards getting butthurt over seeing a conservative talking point put in front of a huge national audience.

Also, two questions...

1. If you don't watch the commercials anyway, then why do you care if they play an ad against abortion?

2. Who the hell doesn't watch the commercials during the Super Bowl? That is basically the only time of the year you are supposed to watch commercials.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
As Christians, shouldn't we be prepared for this and know that it and worse is coming?
True, but that doesn't take away from my nature to let things like this irk me....Christian or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
CBS could give two craps about the spirit of the game. All they care about is the millions upon millions of dollars they generate in ad revenue from the Super Bowl.

She didn't say that it was a matter of CBS denying free speech, she was commenting on what I said about all the libtards getting butthurt over seeing a conservative talking point put in front of a huge national audience.

Also, two questions...

1. If you don't watch the commercials anyway, then why do you care if they play an ad against abortion?

2. Who the hell doesn't watch the commercials during the Super Bowl? That is basically the only time of the year you are supposed to watch commercials.
VERY well said. If there was a Rep System in place, you'd definitely get some from me.

Later.