Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
+1...GSP finished 2 out of the 3 guys in your thread title, lol. He also beat Alves...injured...who finished Matt. I don't think it can be truly judged until Matt has fought both Fitch & Koschek & Alves again. Matt was simply ahead of the curve...MMA has caught up to him...the well-rounded are harder to finish.
Matt doesn't need to fight anybody. Matt's legacy has long been cemented.

GSP will no doubt go do down as one of the great talents of this sport, and he did finish Matt and BJ. However, at this point I would still argue that Matt has a better legacy in MMA than BJ or GSP does. You gotta remember, Matt is 36, has fought 50 fights, and is a 9 time UFC welterweight champion. There is nobody in MMA who has done what Matt Hughes has done, and he is still fighting tough competition.

There are few champions, or even just fighters, in MMA nowadays who have that many fights and win 86% of them like Hughes has. I mean, GSP and BJ Penn both have 21 fights in their careers. BJ is 31, and GSP is about to be 29. Do you think either man will fight 30 more fights in their careers? I seriously doubt it. Look at guys like Rampage and Wanderlei, who are 32 years old. Rampage has 37 fights, and Silva has 43. Compare that to Lyoto Machida who is also 32 but only has 16 pro fights at this point.

Some would argue that a higher percentage of GSP or BJ's fights were against "top" or "elite" competition at the time, but that's because the UFC has basically become the fast track to being considered the best and they have not fought nearly as many people. When you go back over Matt's record, you see that he fought just as many, and arguably a lot more, fights against really stiff competition. Not to mention, a fight is a fight, plain and simple. Guys go out there to win, and anything can happen in any fight. Today's "tomato can" can always be tomorrow's GOAT. More fights equal more risk, and that has a big impact on a fighters legacy.

In MMA, the standard amongst fighters I tend to think of as "All Time Greats" is at least 30 fights, however there are some exceptions to this. GSP is young enough to get another 10 fights in, so I think we just have to wait and see what happens, as is always the case.

Last edited by J.B.; 01-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.
  #22  
Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM
billwilliams70
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm still happy with the way he finished Matt Serra in their second fight.....my side still aches when I think of those knees.

Don't let my statement above fool you, I fully understand the fact that he's not known as a strong finisher.....

Later.
  #23  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

GSP sucks....






and he's on roids....







and he's probably gay too.





__________________
  #24  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerchamp View Post
I disagree with this completely.

Last time I checked GSP pounded Matt & BJ

See if Matt ever gets in the ring again with GSP, then well
see who the better champion is. I mean really GSP FINISHED
both BJ & Matt.

Who the best champion is has yet to be determined
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
+1...GSP finished 2 out of the 3 guys in your thread title, lol. He also beat Alves...injured...who finished Matt. I don't think it can be truly judged until Matt has fought both Fitch & Koschek & Alves again. Matt was simply ahead of the curve...MMA has caught up to him...the well-rounded are harder to finish.
Spoken like typical, short-term memory, idiotic MMA fans.

If you really think that Matt needs to prove ANYTHING in this sport or that GSP is even half the caliber of champion that Matt was, then you're a fool.
__________________
  #25  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
GnP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
whatever ............... its funny how the TS mentions that GSP has went the distance 6 times in his WHOLE CAREER .... then mentions that Matt went the distance twice in his championship run ..... why not in his entire career? GSP has been the distance twice in his champiosnship run also ... if you are going to compare fighters, make fair comparisons
+1

Haha but what you are doing there is using logic and facts, que aint a fan of either of these in his threads
  #26  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
GSP sucks....






and he's on roids....







and he's probably gay too.








Watch out, I heard all athletes are gonna follow in Manny Pacquiao's footsteps and sue people who accuse them of using steroids.
  #27  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Psykojojo's Avatar
Psykojojo Psykojojo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 324
Default

The fact that GSP hasn't finished all his opponents doesn't bother me much, hes amazing to watch. You also have to consider the competition he's faced compared to Anderson Silva.
__________________
Everything is a test

  #28  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:59 PM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,786
Default

It's almost sad isn't it? Almost


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
you Penn nuthuggers amaze me sometimes......you really should get some professional help with those emotional scars you acquired when GSP pounded the crap out of Baby J...GET OVER IT ALREADY AND GET A LIFE ! ! !
__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
  #29  
Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,786
Default




Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
GSP sucks....






and he's on roids....







and he's probably gay too.





__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
  #30  
Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
billwilliams70
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is Randy Couture considered a great fighter, he's in the UFC Hall of Fame?

Out of his 17 wins, nine of them have come by stoppages...but wait, there's more. Out of his 10 losses, nine of them have come by stoppages, only one loss by decision.

So, does finishing a fighter before it goes to the judges REALLY make a fighter great?

Hmmmmmm.

Later.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.