Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default A Ram's Tale - UFN 20!

Hey guys, sorry it's taken me so long to post about my trip up to UFN 20 last Monday. My computer's been on the fritz & it's been a nightmare trying to get the pics downloaded, organized, uploaded, etc. But enough excuses, the hard part's done: on with the story!!

The first UFC event to held in the grand Commonwealth of Virginia was set to begin at 6pm-ish on Monday, January 11th. I was faced with a bit of a dilemna: should I head up there Sunday afternoon so I could catch the weigh-ins/way-lay fighters for autographs & pics, or should I be lazy, sit around at home & then drive up there at the last possible second Monday. I'm pretty sure most of you who know me have already figured out which one option I chose!

After a night of much tossing & turning in anticipation, I was awakened by a knock of my bedroom door. I rolled outta bed & found my nieces and nephew waiting to play with me. We busted out the Green, Black & Orange heads, played Zelda, & generally hooted & hollered all morning long. I knew that I needed to meet up with Boomer (who had my ticket) & his buddies around 4 that afternoon, so I hopped into the car at about quarter of 2 & began the trek. I had a good book on tape to listen to (Temple of the Winds by Terry Goodkind, 4th of about 12 in his Sword of Truth series, if anyone's interested) and the time flew by quickly. About half way up there, I got a tweet from Dana saying he was about to go on the air on Lavar Arrington's radio show on 106.7, so I switched over. Lavar & his co-host did most of the promoing & plugging & seemed to be falling all over themselves trying to impress Dana with thier MMA knowledge (they seemed like legit fanboys ), that Dana really didn't have to say much. He did say that he's actively trying to sign Mouasi & Fedor even though they're still under contract (i.e. laying the groundwork for the instant they satisfy their legal obligations), but he's not making any promises. he also said that since the Patriot Center sold out so fast, that the UFC will definitely be coming back to hte Northern VA/Washington, D.C. area for a PPV sometime in 2010.

About the time that Dana's segment ended (with a derisive tweet aimed at a rival radio station* ), I got a text from BoomTown letting me know that he & his buddies were at the Fuddruckers about a mile or two down the road from the George Mason campus. I was just passing the venue as I read this, so cruised on past & met up with him a few minutes later. I felt like I walked into a Charlottesville TV VIP party, 'cause I was surrounded by all the cool people we've seen with Boomer on TV. They were all super cool & friendly & welcomed me in like the less-than-sane kook that I am. I felt right at home laughing with them as we watched Boomer start tripping balls off a brownie & then run to the windows giggling to try & see the cop that had pulled over the stragglers from our group just half a block shy of the Fuddruckers.

Finally at about 5:15, we decided to haul our fat, lazy butts up out of the chairs & head back over to the Patriot Center (doors opened at 5:30). Even though I somehow always managed to pick the slow lane & almost made 3 wrong left turns, I still somehow managed to make it into the venue & up to our seats before the rest of our 10-person hoarde arrived. This was the view we had from Section 101, Row W:

The Octagon all black lit & BA looking

I was stoked to find out that we had such a great view for only $63, I couldn't believe it. About 30sec later, here comes Boomer leading the troupe up the steps. Judging from the armloads of swag they each had (Boomer bought himself this sweet hoodie), it seemed they'd been here for awhile, but just had been shopping as opposed to rushing to thier seats. Turns out I wasn't as much of a street speed demon as I had thought .

No matter, though! The fights were soon underway. The nice thing about Row W was that it was the last row of seats in Section 101, even though the other sections went as high as Z. The media/sound/lights booth was right behind us, meaning I could jump up & down without worrying about blocking the view of people behind us. Also, the spotlight which followed the Ocatgon Girls around the cage was right above my head. If anyone happened to notice shadow puppets on Arriany's ass, that was all me .

I'm not going to outline the fights for you because I'm pretty sure you all have seen them already. If you haven't & are desperate to know what happened, you can read this. It's much better written than I care to take the time to do & has more details than I can now remember. Here's a coupla pics:

Rick Story vs. Jesse Lennox
(For those that may care: the ref [dude standing next to Bruce Buffer] is Rick McCoy, owner of MMA Institute, the gym at which Boomer & his buddies train. Every time Rick was announced as the ref, we all booed for him )

Gerald Harris vs. John Salter

These next few are all of the Efrain Escudero/Evan Dunham fight. It was one of the best of the night & was back & forth the whole way. Finally ended (as I'm sure you know) by armbar, which Efrain waiting too long to tap out to. He was on the mat holding his arm for awhile after the fight was stopped:

Evan in blue, Efrain in white

Efrain throwing a flying knee

Evan hunting for an armbar (not the fight-ender)

Efrain trying to finish a guillotine

Tandem flying knees

Evan landing some vicious GnP

The aftermath, Efrain still holding his busted up arm

After that came the headliner: Gray Maynard vs. Nate Diaz. Let me just say this: I was disappointed by this fight, but not the judge's decision. It became clear from the opening bell that Gray wanted to do nothing other than stalk Nate down & land a home run strike. He was clearly more aggressive, forced the tempo & never let Nate get his ground game going. Nate, for his part, was clearly waiting for Gray to shoot for a double so that he could get caught in another Diaz triangle. Because of this, Nate never really let his hands go with the intention of finishing Gray. I feel like this was the deciding factor in the fight: Gray was always looking to finish the fight on the feet whereas Nate was certain that the fight was eventually going to the ground & was waiting for that the whole 15min.

All in all, it was a great time. I got out of there about 11:45, turned my mp3 player back on & was home by 1am, where I promptly fell into bed. Can't wait for the next time that I get to hang out with Boomer & his pals!

Quote:
If you are in the dc area 106.7 the fan covers mma. sports talk 980 sucks and won't cover it! So mma fans listen to 106.7 not 980!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 PM

What's with the old news post?

Thanks Ben!

[
Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Glad you had such a good time. Did you not shoot any Videos Ben
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
What's with the old news post?

Thanks Ben!
Yeah, well screw you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Glad you had such a good time. Did you not shoot any Videos Ben
This is a much more last-minute deal & I didn't do any Vlogs like I did for the UWC event or UFC 98, but I did get one thing on video I think some of you will be very excited to see. I haven't been able to uplaod it to YouTube yet (stupid friggin' computer), but as soon as it's up, I'll post it here.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Yeah, well screw you!!!

This is a much more last-minute deal & I didn't do any Vlogs like I did for the UWC event or UFC 98, but I did get one thing on video I think some of you will be very excited to see. I haven't been able to uplaod it to YouTube yet (stupid friggin' computer), but as soon as it's up, I'll post it here.
who did you meet

I wish I was still in Richmond Virginia
Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Stump Rules!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
who did you meet

I wish I was still in Richmond Virginia
Believe it or not, I didn't actually meet any fighters or celebs. I saw Ernesto Hoost (sp?) wandering aruond, but didn't get a pic with him or anything.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Believe it or not, I didn't actually meet any fighters or celebs. I saw Ernesto Hoost (sp?) wandering aruond, but didn't get a pic with him or anything.
Never heard of him
Old 01-22-2010, 07:12 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Never heard of him
He's K-1 guy.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote: