Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

View Poll Results: Should Drug Testing be Stricter?
Yes 15 83.33%
No 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 PM
bradwright

every single sport out there should have random drug testing on a regular basis,MMA included.....but they wont...money is much more important to some people then the welfare of the people that make them their money....thats just a fact of life that i'm sorry to say may never change.

Last edited by bradwright; 01-23-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: only needed one that.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:53 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
So what was your vote Logrus? I know you have not heard of the drugs I keep mentioning that can cycle out so fast, and I have said many times that I don't really know much about the specifics of PED's, only what I have read from people that are supposed to experts. Even Keith Kizer of the NSAC has said that this is a cat and mouse game and that new drugs are constantly being designed to beat the testing.

I personally don't understand why anybody would be against random blood and urine testing in all sports. Telling the user when and how the test is going to be kinda defeats the purpose of issuing the tests in the first place.
Cause Kizer is an idiot along with NSAC so what ever those idiots say I tend to ignore 99.9% of the time. I know in a previous thread you mentioned experts but I never seen who these experts were. (nothing personal, I have a low attention span)

I voted "yes", though I don't see it happening in sports any time soon."its a shock that an owner can pay a football player or baseball player 10million a year but can't afford a 250$ drug test. Its pretty simple, fans want there favorite team or player to win, to break records, owners want those players and teams to win cause that puts the asses in the seats and the Benjis in their pocket."
Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
We are clear that this is about more than weed, right?

Agreed... that's why I said how fighters should be tested. But the whole pot thing is just annoying...
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Cause Kizer is an idiot along with NSAC so what ever those idiots say I tend to ignore 99.9% of the time. I know in a previous thread you mentioned experts but I never seen who these experts were. (nothing personal, I have a low attention span)

I voted "yes", though I don't see it happening in sports any time soon."its a shock that an owner can pay a football player or baseball player 10million a year but can't afford a 250$ drug test. Its pretty simple, fans want there favorite team or player to win, to break records, owners want those players and teams to win cause that puts the asses in the seats and the Benjis in their pocket."
Those experts are people like Travis Tygart from the USADA, who I just posted an interview with a couple posts above this one, and of course Victor Conte who ran BALCO. There were some quotes from other doctors as well and I think they were in that thread, but I know they are in reports on Boxingscene.com and Yahoo Sports Boxing section. Basically the general message they all have is that the testing needs to be completely random and it must include blood and urine.

I agree with you about the NSAC, and it shocks me that through the whole fiasco with Manny and Floyd that so many people jumped up to defend the NSAC. I think the reason their testing is lax is the same reason it is lax in other major sports. They don't want to expose a problem and make their sport look bad. I'm glad you agree testing needs to be stricter, unless it's Floyd asking for it, lol

Take a look at this list of doping cases. It's ridiculous, and there are a bunch names that are not even on the list that probably should be. Then you see some surprising names on there too, like Dennis Hallman (the guy who beat Matt twice), I never knew he was a doper. Go figure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cases_in_sport
Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Agreed... that's why I said how fighters should be tested. But the whole pot thing is just annoying...
I could care less about a fighter smoking pot, but if they fail their drug test for it when they are in training or on fight night then they are just stupid. They know the banned substances list includes illegal recreational drugs like marijuana, so they should have no problem with not using it during those times.

However, the idea that pot is a performance enhancer is quite a stretch. I remember having that debate on these forums right after they overturned the Nick Diaz win over Takanori Gomi. Another hilarious fiasco in fight history.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Robertboxerboy

I think it is pretty strict as it is. I don't know what else more they can do to make sure their athletes are not juicing.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertboxerboy View Post
I think it is pretty strict as it is. I don't know what else more they can do to make sure their athletes are not juicing.
Random Blood and Urine testing would be a good start.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Stump Rules!

Ok, so...my current vote is YES on random testing. The only problem would be...what about the fighter that gets a one fight deal, not really under a long term contract, who can "randomly" test them?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Ok, so...my current vote is YES on random testing. The only problem would be...what about the fighter that gets a one fight deal, not really under a long term contract, who can "randomly" test them?
Well, under the WADA guidelines, they would be able to be randomly tested the entire time they are involved in the sport/company. What they do is they have a group of people design a structure for testing in each individual sport, based on a bunch of different information and variables. However, that structure is not information that is made privy to the athletes. They use that structure to randomly test all the participants, and then they also take other things into account when they decide to single certain athletes out for extra testing. For instance, if a certain guy has a dramatic improvement in his performance, or exhibits signs that may suggest use of banned substances, or even if there are rumors, then they may decide to do more testing on that person over another one.

The WHO, you are asking about would be any outside organization that would be conducting the tests with the WADA standards, such as the USADA who handles the Olympics. However, this really wouldn't even be an issue if the state athletic commissions were doing the job properly in the first place.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Stump Rules!

Say your fighter Joe Blow fighting at an underground sports arena.Someone sees you, wants to pay you to fight in 8 weeks.You didn't get tested before, your a nobody, when does testing start? The minute you sign a contract? You could have been juicing for years.

http://stumpdotcom.com/