Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

View Poll Results: Should Drug Testing be Stricter?
Yes 15 83.33%
No 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Should Drug Testing be Stricter?

This is an issue I feel is sort of looming over all major sports right now, but in the last few weeks we have seen it really take front and center in the world of the "fight-game" since the breakdown in talks between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Since this issue involves the same testing that is implemented in MMA, I wanted to hear more people's opinions on the issue. This is NOT about the Floyd/Manny debacle. There is already a thread about that in the sports section, and I am happy to debate that topic there. I don't mind relevant discussion, but all the Floyd is gay and Manny is on "roids" talk can go there.

What I want to know is if MMA fans around here think that testing for performance enhancing drugs should be stricter, or if it is fine the way it is per each individual athletic commision?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Stump Rules!

I think they are fine.We just need to know that they aren't on anything when they're fighting.Don't care if someone smoked a joint the week before.For roids...like anything else, just have it out of your system before testing time and keep testing time like it is.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
I think they are fine.We just need to know that they aren't on anything when they're fighting.Don't care if someone smoked a joint the week before.For roids...like anything else, just have it out of your system before testing time and keep testing time like it is.
You don't think it matters if the athletes are using illegal drugs to enhance their training?

I'm not being confrontational by any means. I am just really curious about the issue and what people think about it, but, are you saying that it's okay to use any substance as long as you test clean on fight night?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

No matter .. if weed is illegal, then it's illegal.

IMO... there should be drug testing at the time a fight is signed for... during the time leading up to the fight... (random)... and the week before the fight..
Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
No matter .. if weed is illegal, then it's illegal.

IMO... there should be drug testing at the time a fight is signed for... during the time leading up to the fight... (random)... and the week before the fight..
We are clear that this is about more than weed, right?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Stump Rules!

I don't know how long they take to get out of their systems but I'm going to guess it's more then a few weeks to be sure? Whatever they do to enhance their ability wouldn't sustain for that long after they stop using them? If not, then what about regular testing upto 8 weeks before the fight then the usualy right after.I have to admit, I didn't think this all the way through nor do I even know how the drugs work when taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You don't think it matters if the athletes are using illegal drugs to enhance their training?

I'm not being confrontational by any means. I am just really curious about the issue and what people think about it, but, are you saying that it's okay to use any substance as long as you test clean on fight night?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I don't know how long they take to get out of their systems but I'm going to guess it's more then a few weeks to be sure? Whatever they do to enhance their ability wouldn't sustain for that long after they stop using them? If not, then what about regular testing upto 8 weeks before the fight then the usualy right after.I have to admit, I didn't think this all the way through nor do I even know how the drugs work when taken
Thats the thing, we basically know now that there are drugs an athlete can cycle out his body within a matter of hours.

Testing should be random, period.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I like the idea of Random testing plus fight night testing!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
logrus

Quote:
Look lower, sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Thats the thing, we basically know now that there are drugs an athlete can cycle out his body within a matter of hours.

Testing should be random, period.
Other then the weight loss steroid, I still don't know of any that are undetected in that short of time frame. The shortest I know of is about 1-3 days that allows a user to get size and strength along with muscle endurance. Of course I am out of date in terms of the newer forms of steroids as some of my info is a bit old.

To answer MHR comment. The time off cycle depends on the brand, the strength and the time a user is on the cycle. Since there is a time span needed to reach peak performance. The length can be anywhere from 1-3 days, and up until 18 months for a user to become undetected.

Second, the long term effects are still present after use and after a users tests become clean. Lets say your bench has been stuck at 200 pounds for 8 reps for a couple months, on a steroid you could see that bench shot up to 250 pounds in a matter of weeks. Now lets say your cycle has ended and your past the detection time. Taking into account a clean unhurt off cycle. Your 250 bench would still be 250 for 8, it could go down a few pounds and then again it could also go up a bit. The point is from the original time your +50ish stronger then you originally were.

If your giving me an 8 week untested window I can take 12 different steroids and easily pass a test before and after a fight.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I think its about time they did random tested...oh...and I think when they bring in the Random testing...tey should make no big announcement about when it will commence...lets catch a few shall we...lets phone them up and say...Drugs Test, tommorow, 10am. Thanks" and watch some grown men burst into tears.

Then the UFC should have the courage of their convictions and dare to lay off high callibre fighters who indulge in the art of cheating..

BUT...NOONE must test Matt Serra, or Frank Trigg...that fight HAS to take place...drugs or no drugs