Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
TheConcretekid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Joe Rogan

Normally Joe Rogan is a great announcer, the best in my opinion. Bas and Mir often pick favorites, but Joe normally stays neutral, until last night.

I feel that he was favoriting BJ the entire fight, even when GSP was domination him.

I don't have any exact quotes but I remember them being something like this:

"Man, BJ's takedown defense is just top notch, he is has such great balance it's almost impossible to take him dow... ok GSP just got the take down."

"Ok now we'll see BJ's flexibility come into play as he attempts to get back into guard. Alright, now watch BJ's foot, it's amazing, he'll try and put it.... ok BJ eating some elbows here. But watch Penn as he slides his... Ok GSP raining down some fists..."

At one point GSP was in half guard, he postured up and hit BJ with a huge right, and inadvertently fell into full guard and Joe's exact quote was:

"Wow, you can really see how this sport has evolved, people cheer when BJ returned to guard."

No Joe, they were cheering BJ getting his face smashed.
He was so preoccupied with BJ's amazing guard that he missed GSP's haymaker.

Just something I noticed that bothered me a little bit.
Anyone else?


On an unrelated note: I also noticed Clay Guida, while in his corner between rounds, turning his head and burping... like a big one... after each round. What is that all about? How does fighting make you burp?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Champ2be
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well Joe is a big fan, so obviously he wanted someone to win the fight. That's just the way he commentates. I really didnt notice it too much. I just remember him saying that GSP was the new breed of MMA and if you want to be a great fighter then GSP is the prototype for the MMA fighter. Sounds like you were just focused on what he was saying about BJ and not so much on GSP, b/c he sounded in awe when he beating BJ to me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2009, 08:27 PM
TheConcretekid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Man, I was so preoccupied with Joe being preoccupied with BJ that I didn't complement Joe for complementing GSP
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Irish Pride's Avatar
Irish Pride Irish Pride is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 621
Default

I remember him giving GSP many compliments too about his wrestling ability, and how amazing he was to pass BJ's guard with ease.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
Normally Joe Rogan is a great announcer, the best in my opinion. Bas and Mir often pick favorites, but Joe normally stays neutral, until last night.

I feel that he was favoriting BJ the entire fight, even when GSP was domination him.

I don't have any exact quotes but I remember them being something like this:

"Man, BJ's takedown defense is just top notch, he is has such great balance it's almost impossible to take him dow... ok GSP just got the take down."

"Ok now we'll see BJ's flexibility come into play as he attempts to get back into guard. Alright, now watch BJ's foot, it's amazing, he'll try and put it.... ok BJ eating some elbows here. But watch Penn as he slides his... Ok GSP raining down some fists..."

At one point GSP was in half guard, he postured up and hit BJ with a huge right, and inadvertently fell into full guard and Joe's exact quote was:

"Wow, you can really see how this sport has evolved, people cheer when BJ returned to guard."

No Joe, they were cheering BJ getting his face smashed.
He was so preoccupied with BJ's amazing guard that he missed GSP's haymaker.

Just something I noticed that bothered me a little bit.
Anyone else?
I thought he was hugging Baby Jays sack a little myself.. but everyone favors someone..


Quote:
On an unrelated note: I also noticed Clay Guida, while in his corner between rounds, turning his head and burping... like a big one... after each round. What is that all about? How does fighting make you burp?
Too much water..Swallowing when you breat.... Ask Big Timmy!!!! I laughed my head off when he did that in the Randy fight.. "Brrrrrruuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrraaaaaaaap!... What round is it?"
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
billythekid2000
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I thought that Joe gave a fair, unbiased commentary. And at the end of the PPV, he even said that he thought GSP is now #1 P4P.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 AM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Rogan typically seems to favor the jiu jitsu guys. It's nothing new (even though GSP is also a black belt, it's not what he's known for).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

From what I can tell, Rogan is a huge fan of BJ and GSP. Maybe leaning a bit more toward BJ, but it's not as if Rogan was exaggerating BJ's abilities.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 AM
matthughesfan21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
Man, I was so preoccupied with Joe being preoccupied with BJ that I didn't complement Joe for complementing GSP
a little bit of selective hearing possibly?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 AM
que
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i disagree. i remember noticing during the live fight that rogan favorered GSP. i rewatched it and i was right.

the first round he spent talking mostly about BJ and his crazy flexibility. that makes sense because GSP spent the entire first round trying to take BJ down and he couldn't.

rounds 2,3,4 rogan was talking mostly about GSP and everything he said about GSP was praising his skills.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.