Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
TheConcretekid

Default Joe Rogan

Normally Joe Rogan is a great announcer, the best in my opinion. Bas and Mir often pick favorites, but Joe normally stays neutral, until last night.

I feel that he was favoriting BJ the entire fight, even when GSP was domination him.

I don't have any exact quotes but I remember them being something like this:

"Man, BJ's takedown defense is just top notch, he is has such great balance it's almost impossible to take him dow... ok GSP just got the take down."

"Ok now we'll see BJ's flexibility come into play as he attempts to get back into guard. Alright, now watch BJ's foot, it's amazing, he'll try and put it.... ok BJ eating some elbows here. But watch Penn as he slides his... Ok GSP raining down some fists..."

At one point GSP was in half guard, he postured up and hit BJ with a huge right, and inadvertently fell into full guard and Joe's exact quote was:

"Wow, you can really see how this sport has evolved, people cheer when BJ returned to guard."

No Joe, they were cheering BJ getting his face smashed.
He was so preoccupied with BJ's amazing guard that he missed GSP's haymaker.

Just something I noticed that bothered me a little bit.
Anyone else?

On an unrelated note: I also noticed Clay Guida, while in his corner between rounds, turning his head and burping... like a big one... after each round. What is that all about? How does fighting make you burp?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Champ2be

Well Joe is a big fan, so obviously he wanted someone to win the fight. That's just the way he commentates. I really didnt notice it too much. I just remember him saying that GSP was the new breed of MMA and if you want to be a great fighter then GSP is the prototype for the MMA fighter. Sounds like you were just focused on what he was saying about BJ and not so much on GSP, b/c he sounded in awe when he beating BJ to me.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:27 PM
TheConcretekid

Man, I was so preoccupied with Joe being preoccupied with BJ that I didn't complement Joe for complementing GSP
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM

I remember him giving GSP many compliments too about his wrestling ability, and how amazing he was to pass BJ's guard with ease.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
Normally Joe Rogan is a great announcer, the best in my opinion. Bas and Mir often pick favorites, but Joe normally stays neutral, until last night.

I feel that he was favoriting BJ the entire fight, even when GSP was domination him.

I don't have any exact quotes but I remember them being something like this:

"Man, BJ's takedown defense is just top notch, he is has such great balance it's almost impossible to take him dow... ok GSP just got the take down."

"Ok now we'll see BJ's flexibility come into play as he attempts to get back into guard. Alright, now watch BJ's foot, it's amazing, he'll try and put it.... ok BJ eating some elbows here. But watch Penn as he slides his... Ok GSP raining down some fists..."

At one point GSP was in half guard, he postured up and hit BJ with a huge right, and inadvertently fell into full guard and Joe's exact quote was:

"Wow, you can really see how this sport has evolved, people cheer when BJ returned to guard."

No Joe, they were cheering BJ getting his face smashed.
He was so preoccupied with BJ's amazing guard that he missed GSP's haymaker.

Just something I noticed that bothered me a little bit.
Anyone else?
I thought he was hugging Baby Jays sack a little myself.. but everyone favors someone..

Quote:
On an unrelated note: I also noticed Clay Guida, while in his corner between rounds, turning his head and burping... like a big one... after each round. What is that all about? How does fighting make you burp?
Too much water..Swallowing when you breat.... Ask Big Timmy!!!! I laughed my head off when he did that in the Randy fight.. "Brrrrrruuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrraaaaaaaap!... What round is it?"
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
billythekid2000

I thought that Joe gave a fair, unbiased commentary. And at the end of the PPV, he even said that he thought GSP is now #1 P4P.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 AM
County Mike

Rogan typically seems to favor the jiu jitsu guys. It's nothing new (even though GSP is also a black belt, it's not what he's known for).
Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

From what I can tell, Rogan is a huge fan of BJ and GSP. Maybe leaning a bit more toward BJ, but it's not as if Rogan was exaggerating BJ's abilities.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
Man, I was so preoccupied with Joe being preoccupied with BJ that I didn't complement Joe for complementing GSP
a little bit of selective hearing possibly?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 AM
que

i disagree. i remember noticing during the live fight that rogan favorered GSP. i rewatched it and i was right.

the first round he spent talking mostly about BJ and his crazy flexibility. that makes sense because GSP spent the entire first round trying to take BJ down and he couldn't.

rounds 2,3,4 rogan was talking mostly about GSP and everything he said about GSP was praising his skills.