Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Haha, just reading about Brock Lesnar on Yahoo News and they had this snippet in the article:

Quote:
Yet another potential change could be the date of UFC 113, currently slated for May 1 in Montreal. If Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley sign for a fight on May 1, as has been talked about since the Mosley vs. Andre Berto fight scheduled for Jan. 30 fell apart, White said UFC would look to change its Bell Centre date to May 8 to avoid a head-to-head battle against what would likely be the biggest boxing match of the first half of 2010.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Good idea Dana, you would be OWNED on that night!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I respect that viewpoint

Hope it happens, it would be the biggest fight of the year!

WAR MOSLEY!!!!
mos def

I've made it clear that I am not a big Mosley fan, and it has nothing to do with any of the jib-jab between him and Floyd. So I do hope Floyd wins if they fight, and I honestly see him being able to slip most of Mosley's game and get a decision with a SLIM chance of late round stoppage. However, I do respect Mosley's skills and accomplishments and he is definitely a Hall of Famer who posses a serious threat to ANY fighter he steps in the ring with. I could see this fight going down a number of different ways, so I am not placing any bets, but my gut definitely tells me Mayweather will win by decision. Mosely could always land something clean that does the job, but Floyd does have a pretty well tested chin over the years, at least against the ones who have been able to hit him, lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Sugar Shane said he will agree to the testing and that he believes testing should be stricter. Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter, and GBP has already said publicly that they will be requesting this type of testing for all it's fights.

I know that this is inconceivable to, and usually ignored by, the haters, but the plain and simple fact is that Floyd is not the one who turned the whole testing issue into a circus. That was Manny Pacquiao and Bob Arum.

They asked for the tests in the beginning and there was no problem. It was a whole TWO WEEKS before Pacquiao made a big stink about not wanting to give blood. During that whole two weeks, the boxing world pretty much thought this fight was a DONE DEAL. Which is another cannonball right through the side of the USS Pac-Tard and it's logic that had Pac agreed to the testing Floyd would have found another way out of the fight. No matter how you try to spin it, Pacquiao balked on the testing for no good reason. If Floyd was full of crap, Pacquiao should have called his bluff. Pacquiao acted like an idiot and Bob Arum was just waiting to pull the plug on this fight because he don't want to take the chance of Floyd beating his cash cow.

BTW -You can lose that Fitzgerald sig, the Cards lost. Unless you want to keep it, in which case I would understand.
Well Sugar already shot his own two feet off, to deny testing would be an even stupider move. Besides I think its funnier he agreed to stricter testing, then again hes already been busted.

I blame Arum more then Pac, but I blame Floyds camp even more.

Ehhh, I need to find a new sig and am to lazy. Maybe i'll go do that now lol.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Looks like this may be a go. Mosley has signed, still waiting on Mayweather. However, we did see Pac sign previously, then Mayweather fire back with more demands. This should be much easier to make though as they are both dealing with GBP.

#2 vs. #3, there's only 1 fight better than that! This will be an awesome fight!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=4870999
Quote:
Updated: January 30, 2010, 8:30 AM ET
Mosley, Mayweather reach terms

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have agreed to terms for a welterweight super fight, Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe said Friday. Later Friday, Mosley signed his contract in Las Vegas, Mosley's attorney Judd Burstein told ESPN.com.

"Shane has signed. I sat with him [Friday] and we went through every provision of the contract and he signed," Burstein said. "He is excited to move forward with the bout."

Mosley will defend his welterweight title against Mayweather on May 1 on HBO PPV at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather's signature is a formality, according to Burstein and Ellerbe.

"I confirmed with Leonard [on Friday night] that there are no issues," Burstein said.

"All of the deal points have been agreed to," Ellerbe said. "We still have to put pen to paper, but everything is agreed to. It's with the lawyers. Shane is a great fighter, one of the best of his era, and so is Floyd. It's going to be a great fight. It's a fight fans have wanted to see for a long time."

Ellerbe said that he expected Mayweather's paperwork to be completed in the next few days with a formal announcement likely next week.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Mayweather has the option for an immediate rematch in the event he loses.

The fight came together after an unexpected turn of events.

First, Mayweather became available for a fight three weeks ago when negotiations with pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao disintegrated. They had agreed to all terms for a March 13 fight that loomed as the biggest in boxing -- except for a drug testing protocol.

They had agreed to random urine testing, but Mayweather also wanted random blood testing, even though that is not required under the rules of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Pacquiao agreed only to three blood tests, but none within 24 days of the fight, and the third one immediately after the bout.

Mayweather has alluded to Pacquiao using performance-enhancing drugs, even though he has never produced any evidence, and Floyd Mayweather Sr. has outright said he believes Pacquiao uses.

The rancor over the drug testing issue caused the fight to fall apart and Pacquiao moved on. He will defend his version of the 147-pound title against former titlist Joshua Clottey on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Then Mosley became available two weeks ago. He was scheduled to meet Andre Berto in a title unification bout at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on Saturday night. However, Berto, a Haitian-American, withdrew from the bout after eight members of his extended family were killed in the earthquake in Haiti.

Immediately after the cancellation of Mosley-Berto, Mosley and Mayweather -- the former welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king until giving up the mantle during a brief retirement -- began negotiating.

"The negotiations were very cordial and went very smoothly," Ellerbe said.

Mosley has agreed to undergo random blood and urine testing, as has Mayweather, Ellerbe said.

Mosley has admitted to using PEDs and was connected to the BALCO scandal. Although he publicly denied using PEDs for years, Mosley admitted during grand jury testimony, which was later released, that he used designer steroids "the clear" and "the cream" and injected himself with EPO, a blood oxygen enhancer, during the lead-up to his 2003 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. Mosley said he took the steroids unknowingly.

"Floyd only wants to be sure of an even playing field no matter who he fights," Ellerbe said.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), a five-division champion, and Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), a three-division champion, have seemingly been on a collision course since the late 1990s, when Mosley was lightweight champion and Mayweather was junior lightweight champion.

Although their careers took different paths, talk of a potential fight heated back up in 2006 after Mosley's two knockouts of Fernando Vargas, but talks never got too serious.

However, Mosley stepped up his call for a fight with Mayweather, 32, last year after Mayweather ended his 18-month retirement. After Mayweather easily beat lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez in a lopsided decision in September, Mosley crashed his post-fight interview in the ring and called him out to his face.

It didn't look like Mosley would get the fight because two months later, Pacquiao knocked out Miguel Cotto and talks began for Pacquiao-Mayweather.

Mosley, 38, hasn't fought since last January, when he upset Antonio Margarito to win his title via ninth-round knockout.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

This fight is happening and there will be a press conference in the next few days. They already have fighters lined up for the under-card as well. It's been known for over a week now that this was a done deal. The only reason they are waiting for Floyd to sign it is because they have not brought him the actual paperwork yet.

You can't spin the facts bro, Pac may have signed some rough draft of the contract that his side drew up, but he didn't sign anything that was drawn up by both sides, otherwise we would be talking about Pac vs Floyd in March.

Manny's side knew for 2 weeks behind closed doors that the drug testing was requested, and at one point during those 2 weeks Freddie Roach even said that they agreed to the tests. Then, out of nowhere, Arum and Roach changed their tune and said they would not take random testing and started contradicting themselves left and right. Floyd never knew Manny would turn down the testing and for 2 weeks everything appeared to be good to go. Also, he agreed to all the requests from Team Pacquiao, so this notion that Floyd made up the testing to get out of the fight is ridiculous.

This will be a great fight though, definitely a pick em'.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:40 PM
rearnakedchoke

I think this fight will be a tougher match up for mayweather than pac man .. i think mayweather beats them both, but this is definitely the tougher match-up ...
Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

The past two days have been LOL in the boxing community...

Schaefer came out yesterday and said they were still waiting on Floyd to sign the contract, and he even hinted that he was worried the fight could be in jeopardy. Of course, that fueled about a million useless threads on boxing forums, and more rampant mudslinging from the haters claiming Floyd is scared of Shane and he would pull out of the fight.

I honestly sat back and laughed as I read some of the things people said, because never in the history of boxing can I recall a time when people (myself included) were so informed and/or misinformed about contact negotiations for a fight. Back in the day, before the web, that information was never readily accessible to the casual fans. The only way you found out about the behind the scenes stuff like that was to read magazines like The Ring. Now, there are literally hundreds and thousands of e-journalists who are relatively new to the sport flooding it with stale opinions and misleading headlines.

All the nonsense aside, Floyd HAS signed the contract and they can begin promoting this weekend during the Super Bowl festivities.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/02/0...-shane-mosley/
Old 02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Yeah, I thought it was kinda funny myself. Almost posted an article last night and said, "That's stupid." Besides, the announcement last week was that the fight would be signed this week. It was only Tuesday and everybody was making a big mess of it, lol
Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Yeah, I thought it was kinda funny myself. Almost posted an article last night and said, "That's stupid." Besides, the announcement last week was that the fight would be signed this week. It was only Tuesday and everybody was making a big mess of it, lol
Also, Floyd had already done a radio interview on Sunday or Monday where he confirmed they were fighting on May 1st and that him and Shane would be going down to Miami for the Super Bowl to promote it.

You know when Michael Marley is telling people to relax and not taking cheap shots at Floyd that people are being ridiculous.

I think people believe there is a closer relationship between Floyd and GBP than there actually is. As if this fight is somehow "in-house" because Floyd has used them in the past. Schaefer was quick to toss Floyd under the bus by making those comments yesterday, although it could have just been another part of the hype job, who knows.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:22 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Chris Mannix from Sports Illustrated is saying that there is NOT a rematch clause as previously reported.

Quote:
Contrary to reports, there is no automatic rematch clause for either fighter in the contract.
http://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI