Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Mayweather vs Mosley

The latest news in the world of the sweet science is something that has been over 10 years in the making, and looks to be close to being finalized (but we know how that goes, right? )

Due to the recent earthquake in Haiti, Andre Berto has pulled out of his fight with Shane Mosley next weekend citing the emotional stress that has come on after losing 8 family members from the disaster in his homeland. In turn, that has opened the door for a Welterweight showdown between two top P4P fighters, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley.

Nothing is final yet, but after watching the Manny/Floyd debacle unfold, I find it hard to believe that Floyd and Golden Boy are gonna find a way to screw this up. For Floyd, it's simple. Either he fights Mosley now, or the cynics and analysts will tear him to shreds. Also, if he is still planning on a fight with Pacquiao down the road, a victory over Sugar Shane would put the spotlight back on Mayweather and away from Pacquiao. Especially if Pacquiao is anything less than completely dominant over Clottey.

For Golden Boy, it's even simpler. This is a win/win situation. If Floyd wins, then they will use it as posturing for Floyd when going back to the table with the Pacquiao team, and if Mosley wins then they get to push for a Mosley vs Pacquiao fight where they would actually make a bigger percentage of the profits because they have Shane under contract. Also, GBP makes a small percentage of every Pacquiao fight anyway so, no matter what happens, Oscar gets to kick back and count even more money (I just hope he doesn't do that in a wig and fishnets stockings).

Schaefer has asserted that both men have agreed to fight, although nothing is signed yet. It is also being widely reported that Floyd WILL ask for the random style Olympic blood testing and that Shane has agreed to fully comply.

All I can say is, I HOPE THIS HAPPENS. There are no excuses for either fighter this time and they are both in need of a fight right now. Let's get it on!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Would love to see it, but I don't think it will happen, that's all I have to say on the subject. If I'm wrong, then you can rub it in my face
Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Would love to see it, but I don't think it will happen, that's all I have to say on the subject. If I'm wrong, then you can rub it in my face
Of course you don't think it will happen, because you know that if it does then it's another hole in your sinking ship of arguments that try to label Mayweather as a coward.

If it doesn't happen, and Floyd goes on to fight some other lesser fighter, then I will criticize him for it. Like I said, Floyd knows that now with Berto out of the picture, anything less than a fight against Mosley will make him look bad. The timing of everything is perfect for both fighters and there is no reason this fight cannot be made, unlike in the past when both sides have looked to other fights instead of each other for various reasons.

From a business standpoint, this fight will be easy to make. Both GBP and Mayweather want to one up Bob Arum, and this fight does just that. I mean, I know I won't be seeing any threads entitled "Mayweather vs Mosley Who Really Cares?". However, many people will be asking that very question about Pacquiao's fight with Clottey just because they don't know anything about Clottey, and because Pac already dismantled the guy who beat Clottey.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 AM
logrus

Id love to see this fight happen, but if Mayweather made such a cryfest out of someone who never tested positive for a steroid, whats he going to do with Mosely demand a test every other hour?

Sugar knocks Floyd out P E R I O D
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Of course you don't think it will happen, because you know that if it does then it's another hole in your sinking ship of arguments that try to label Mayweather as a coward.

If it doesn't happen, and Floyd goes on to fight some other lesser fighter, then I will criticize him for it. Like I said, Floyd knows that now with Berto out of the picture, anything less than a fight against Mosley will make him look bad. The timing of everything is perfect for both fighters and there is no reason this fight cannot be made, unlike in the past when both sides have looked to other fights instead of each other for various reasons.
I just don't think it will happen because Floyd (ever since coming to the welterweight division) has made a habit of not fighting the #1 contender for various reasons. Mosley isn't the #1 contender (I don't think?), but it's pretty tough to discern who is and isn't the best welterweight out there right now, as there are some really badass dudes in that weight class!

So, to make an edit of your question, "Will you still believe Floyd is [not] afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year?"

Quote:
From a business standpoint, this fight will be easy to make. Both GBP and Mayweather want to one up Bob Arum, and this fight does just that. I mean, I know I won't be seeing any threads entitled "Mayweather vs Mosley Who Really Cares?". However, many people will be asking that very question about Pacquiao's fight with Clottey just because they don't know anything about Clottey, and because Pac already dismantled the guy who beat Clottey.
Yes, it's easy to make, hope it gets done!

Quote:
Sugar Shane said he will agree to the testing and that he believes testing should be stricter. Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter, and GBP has already said publicly that they will be requesting this type of testing for all it's fights.
Didn't realize this. Anyways, so now they agree, what great harmony!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Id love to see this fight happen, but if Mayweather made such a cryfest out of someone who never tested positive for a steroid, whats he going to do with Mosely demand a test every other hour?

Sugar knocks Floyd out P E R I O D
Sugar Shane said he will agree to the testing and that he believes testing should be stricter. Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter, and GBP has already said publicly that they will be requesting this type of testing for all it's fights.

I know that this is inconceivable to, and usually ignored by, the haters, but the plain and simple fact is that Floyd is not the one who turned the whole testing issue into a circus. That was Manny Pacquiao and Bob Arum.

They asked for the tests in the beginning and there was no problem. It was a whole TWO WEEKS before Pacquiao made a big stink about not wanting to give blood. During that whole two weeks, the boxing world pretty much thought this fight was a DONE DEAL. Which is another cannonball right through the side of the USS Pac-Tard and it's logic that had Pac agreed to the testing Floyd would have found another way out of the fight. No matter how you try to spin it, Pacquiao balked on the testing for no good reason. If Floyd was full of crap, Pacquiao should have called his bluff. Pacquiao acted like an idiot and Bob Arum was just waiting to pull the plug on this fight because he don't want to take the chance of Floyd beating his cash cow.

BTW -You can lose that Fitzgerald sig, the Cards lost. Unless you want to keep it, in which case I would understand.

Last edited by J.B.; 01-20-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I just don't think it will happen because Floyd (ever since coming to the welterweight division) has made a habit of not fighting the #1 contender for various reasons. Mosley isn't the #1 contender (I don't think?), but it's pretty tough to discern who is and isn't the best welterweight out there right now, as there are some really badass dudes in that weight class!

So, to make an edit of your question, "Will you still believe Floyd is [not] afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year?"

Yes, it's easy to make. I just wonder how Schaefer is going to justify Mosley not taking the random drug testing when Mayweather demands it. Ironic, considering Schaefer said in 2008 that the NSAC's testing methods are just fine and Mosley will not do anything more, yet, when it comes to Pac, it's different. This time, if Mayweather demands it, Schaefer is going to be in a real pickle trying to justify himself. At the very least, Mosley HAS actually tested for drugs in the past and that's been one of Mayweather's reasons for refusing a fight with Mosley, so now what? Hypocrisy cometh!
Floyd has fought top competition throughout his career and a myriad of other things has kept him from seeing fights with certain names JUST LIKE ALL FIGHTERS. You are quick to say it's always Floyd's fault, but you ignore the fact that Bob Arum was a huge part that fights with Margarito, Cotto, and Pacquiao didn't happen. It's always Floyd's fault, but the haters never look at the other side of the coin

Mosley is the top welterweight right now behind Pac and Floyd, hands down. He has the best resume and is the biggest name. Cotto is still up there, but he has taken a big hit recently and needs to get back into better form before taking any superfight again. Berto will get his shot later this year after he is ready to return to Boxing.

Still, I guess you missed what I said in the very first post. MOSLEY WILL TAKE THE TESTS, and Golden Boy already made a public statement that all their fights will require this testing. If Golden Boy lies, that's their problem, but Floyd's side also said he would be asking for this testing for the rest of his career. So if they don't do it, I will call them out on it.

TRUTH.

Last edited by J.B.; 01-20-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

So, in other words, you won't believe that Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight? I already knew that

Yeah, I missed that part about Mosley already agreeing to the tests. I made an edit on my post, but you're faster that Larry Fitzgerald with the replies
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
So, in other words, you won't believe that Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight? I already knew that

Yeah, I missed that part about Mosley already agreeing to the tests. I made an edit on my post, but you're faster that Larry Fitzgerald with the replies
I don't like the idea of anybody sitting on a keyboard or a microphone who has never been a professional fighter calling them cowards. That's just not my style. I don't think any of these men are afraid to fight each other, however I do believe that there is a lot of behind the scenes things we don't always know about. A lot of it has to do with Promoters getting in the way.Plus there is timing. The s**t is complicated, lol

However, Floyd's position is unique and this is the time for him to answer any questions. The biggest money fights ARE the top competition at this point, and if he were to go on to fight lesser opponents, then yes, I would definitely question his decision making.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I respect that viewpoint

Hope it happens, it would be the biggest fight of the year!

WAR MOSLEY!!!!