Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Rochambeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
I'm in a bit of a relapse of the MS again. I tried to work some yesterday, but the heat was a bit much and we wound up having to come home without getting much done. Kim was worried that would happen, and had been nervous about just the two of us going out into the middle of the woods to work with me having problems. Anyway, I wound up just laying around & recuperating today. Abigail (my oldest) forwarded me some links to places she wanted to try to sing at, so I spent some time emailing some of them, and entered her in the state fair talent competition. I also send links to her youtube videos to a friend who is a singer in Texas to watch and critique, along with a couple of pictures. Abigail is supposed to play at a coffee house the next two Tuesday nights. I love being a daddy, but scheduling stuff for 3 kids can wear you out! Lol. I wouldn't have it any other way though!
How bad are you hit with MS? I'm really sorry to read about this. I hope all goes well with Abigail. Does she have lessons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I feel a bit concerned. For the 2nd day in a row the fire alarm at work has gone off. No big deal you would think right? Well I work in a automotive manufacturing plant so 1/3 of the build is a paint line. Paint = highly flamable. Plus greases and welding gases here and there. My office is in the corner furthest away from the paint line so normally I would be okay. But today I happened to be in our parts cage which is under a paint oven. Knowing I'm standing in the most highly explosive area of the plant when the fire alarm goes off is not good for someone like me. I'm a fraidy cat. When I walk past our presses I walk on the far side of the aisle incase something happens to fly off so I won't be impelled. A guy I know that was here when the building was made tells me I'm better off in a field then in this build if a tornado comes because the structure is poorly welded. So everytime we are under a tornado watch I think about how quickly I could move bumpers out of the racks they are in so if the building crumbled I could be safe surrounded by the steel that the racks are made of.

Maybe this should say I feel paranoid...
That's understandable. Do you know why the alarm has gone off?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 AM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochambeau View Post
How bad are you hit with MS? I'm really sorry to read about this. I hope all goes well with Abigail. Does she have lessons?
I have good days & bad days. I haven't worked very many days in a good while, but the heat makes the MS worse anyway. My biggest probs are migraines, short-term memory loss, dizzyness, & tremors. And the fact that I can't drive anymore, lol. It works out, though, because my wife & I are always together now, and we are learning what kinds of jobs we can take and what kinds we need to turn down. The weather is a lot cooler this week, and we actually did a small survey today of a family cemetery for a long-time client.

Abigail had a few guitar lessons from a guy I taught some jiu-jitsu to in trade for him teaching her some guitar, but she has mostly taught herself. She has taken piano & voice for a little over a year. She writes songs as a diary of sorts, and has written over 200 of them so far.

She played at a coffee shop about an hour from our home tonight. She did really well, and gained many new fans! I videoed it (of course, I guess all dads do that kind of stuff, lol) and am getting ready to upload it to her youtube channel and her facebook fan page. With our slow internet, it will probably take all night, lol!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Rochambeau

I do have some idea of what comes with MS. I have some similar symptoms and the heat can really affect me, too. The weather should keep going down now.

I'd encourage Abigail to keep doing the voice lessons. She's still very young. Does she always sing the same kind of songs?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:40 AM
surveyorshawn

Have you had any tests done to see what may be causing your symptoms?

Abigail's voice is still maturing. We are looking for another voice coach, as the one she had went about as far as her training allowed (small town, limited teachers). She has people looking at her for demos & records, as well as festivals & other performances, but I would like to see her have some more music education, more performance exposure, and move along at a steady pace. It's a potential lifetime pursuit, not a race like a lot of folks try to make it. I think so many people see $$ and potential fame and forget everything else, including common sense. I've played music since I was 9 (piano, saxophone, sousaphone/tuba, recently guitar), and though I don't care to perform, I can read & write music while most of the people presently recording don't even know what a treble clef is, lol.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 AM
Rochambeau

I have. My Autonomic Nervous System is damaged.

I definitely think you're right and it's not a race. She has a nice sound at the moment, but it can really become a lot more. I think it's wise to seek out a new teacher. Do you still play the sax?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM
surveyorshawn

I haven't played in years. I need to get mine repadded.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
I haven't played in years. I need to get mine repadded.
Aight, well you get your sax re-padded & then swing by Richmond & we can play together sometime. If you come during basketball season, you an play in the VCU Pep Band with me for our home games!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

O, & I'm feeling pretty frustrated today. Last Monday (i.e. the 20th) while in Muay Thai, I threw a head kick, caught my toe on my buddies gloves as he blocked it & ripped part of the nail off. It was a clean rip, so after I went home, washed it thoroughly & wrapped it up, I was good to go the next day & went back to class.

Fast forward to this past Monday (the 27th): I finished the 5:30 beginners BJJ class & the 7pm Muay Thai class & was doing some of the light warm-up drills for the late (8pm) BJJ class. Turns out the tape on my toe had unraveled with out my knowledge. As I finished the drill (passing the open guard), my toe caught on my partners gi & I feel something rip: the remaining half of my toenail got ripped partially off. Pissed, I go clean it up in the bathroom, but it won't stop bleeding. I pack it in paper towels & hobble out the door, pissed. I get home to find out that it's not completely torn off: it's torn just enough that it hurts like a b!tch, bleeds when you bump it & there's no way I can train with it, but not torn so much that I can just yank it off & be done with it.

Considering the fact that I've got my first ever BJJ tourney in about 2.5 weeks, this is really frustrating.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
O, & I'm feeling pretty frustrated today. Last Monday (i.e. the 20th) while in Muay Thai, I threw a head kick, caught my toe on my buddies gloves as he blocked it & ripped part of the nail off. It was a clean rip, so after I went home, washed it thoroughly & wrapped it up, I was good to go the next day & went back to class.

Fast forward to this past Monday (the 27th): I finished the 5:30 beginners BJJ class & the 7pm Muay Thai class & was doing some of the light warm-up drills for the late (8pm) BJJ class. Turns out the tape on my toe had unraveled with out my knowledge. As I finished the drill (passing the open guard), my toe caught on my partners gi & I feel something rip: the remaining half of my toenail got ripped partially off. Pissed, I go clean it up in the bathroom, but it won't stop bleeding. I pack it in paper towels & hobble out the door, pissed. I get home to find out that it's not completely torn off: it's torn just enough that it hurts like a b!tch, bleeds when you bump it & there's no way I can train with it, but not torn so much that I can just yank it off & be done with it.

Considering the fact that I've got my first ever BJJ tourney in about 2.5 weeks, this is really frustrating.

Why have I not received any text pictures? Keep it clean, keep it wrapped 24/7, let it heal. You should be able to compete in the tourney but you may have to lay out of the gym for a week or so for training. You can still go to class and observe, can't you? I have done that in the past when I had my toe first injured and was out for that year. At least you are still hearing the technique and seeing the rolling sessions to pick up on things.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Ouch! Hope it's better soon, that sounds VERY painful...