Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I've heard some of what the mother goes thru when induced, Amy, but what about the baby? I know they monitor the baby during all this, but is there a certain amount of time even with a mid-wife where they feel they have to take the baby?
Labor doesn't hurt the baby at all. They have monitors on mom's abdomen that tell the baby's heart rate and contractions and there are very specific things we watch for to know how baby is doing. If baby gets into trouble at all they will determine if it is time to go ahead and deliver by c/section or if they just need to back off of the medication and let baby rest to recover. The only time during labor that a time constraint becomes an issue is if the water is broken. The risk of infection increases so much after 24 hours of the water being broken that it isn't worth the baby ending up in NICU with IVs and fighting off an infection and mom could also get sick from it. So since the midwives were being very careful, they didn't break Kelli's water because she wasn't in true labor yet. They won't want her to go past 42 weeks of gestation simply because at that point the placenta gets old and functions less properly and that could mean not enough oxygen to the baby. There are tests they can do in the office to check fetal wellbeing and oxygenation status (non stress test). So I'm very happy with the conservative approach they are taking.

One last thing: babies feel a good hug with each contraction. It doesn't hurt them at all.

~Amy
Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Unhappy

Unhappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06tQpVtlQMo

Old 05-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Stump Rules!

Oh my gosh did Haily come out yet?! What's the hurry for inducing anyway I missed the story???
Mike, get used to it, this is just a preview on how that baby girl is going to control you for the rest of her life
Let us know ASAP when she comes she's going to need her own birthday thread

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
I'm curious about that too......

I understand your concern Bonnie but Kelli is in the best hands! Their midwife Karen delivered my two girls and she is awesome! Everyone goes to her! She is knowledgeable, experienced and professional and I KNOW she is keeping an eye on the baby! If anything starts to go wrong she will make the right decision for the baby and Kelli!

But, I do wonder if there is a "time limit" to all this.........maybe Amy knows.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Labor doesn't hurt the baby at all. They have monitors on mom's abdomen that tell the baby's heart rate and contractions and there are very specific things we watch for to know how baby is doing. If baby gets into trouble at all they will determine if it is time to go ahead and deliver by c/section or if they just need to back off of the medication and let baby rest to recover. The only time during labor that a time constraint becomes an issue is if the water is broken. The risk of infection increases so much after 24 hours of the water being broken that it isn't worth the baby ending up in NICU with IVs and fighting off an infection and mom could also get sick from it. So since the midwives were being very careful, they didn't break Kelli's water because she wasn't in true labor yet. They won't want her to go past 42 weeks of gestation simply because at that point the placenta gets old and functions less properly and that could mean not enough oxygen to the baby. There are tests they can do in the office to check fetal wellbeing and oxygenation status (non stress test). So I'm very happy with the conservative approach they are taking.

One last thing: babies feel a good hug with each contraction. It doesn't hurt them at all.

~Amy
Thank you both for explaining how things work with mid-wives and what's going on with the baby during all this. It sounds like Kelli and Hailey are in excellent hands.

I'm glad the baby feels "hugged", Amy. I never thought about what the baby feels during labor. I was with my sis when she was induced and gave birth, but I guess since we just see "mommy" and everything she's going through, that's what we laypeople focus on.

Last edited by Bonnie; 05-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 PM
County Mike

No baby yet. They sent us home. We'll wait until it happens naturally or go back in Monday night. If Kelli hasn't gone naturally by then they'll induce again and will break the water that time.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Stump Rules!

Well hells bells...poor Kelly
My mom ( who's a 100 years old and had 7 kids) says" a baby will come when it's ready". And I believe that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
No baby yet. They sent us home. We'll wait until it happens naturally or go back in Monday night. If Kelli hasn't gone naturally by then they'll induce again and will break the water that time.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Twinsmama

Oh my gosh that is terrible for Kelli. I hope she isn't still in pain!! I think I've checked this dang site more than ever before waiting for Hailey. I thought for sure you would be posting something totally different. Let Kelli know we are all wishing her the best!!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Well hells bells...poor Kelly
My mom ( who's a 100 years old and had 7 kids) says" a baby will come when it's ready". And I believe that!
I told him he would be on her timetable...I just didn't realize it would start before she was born.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Is she past her due date? I think overdue babies are cuter anyways because they are bigger. Usually the bigger the baby the cuter they are. Or so I think because I had two plump 9 pounders.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-uNSNZrgQM

I feel Tremendous!! and very thankful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSb1-9i-fDA