Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Here is an interesting factoid concerning male ability in mathematics:

"Dr. Julian Stanley and Dr. Camilla Benbow, two American psychologists, worked with highly gifted students of both sexes. Not only did they find that the best girl never beat the best boy - they also discovered a startling sex ratio of mathematical brilliance: for every exceptional girl there were more than thirteen exceptional boys."

Larry Summers, the former president of Harvard, made a comment that there might be sex-base differences in aptitude in science and was forced to resign.

The book paints a picture of female exceptionalism in verbal skills. It even postulates that "women's intuition" is due to a larger corpus callosum, allowing the two brain hemispheres to better integrate emotional cues and information.
I felt for Mr. Summers at the time (falling victim to PC-speak retaliation), but if he was portrayed accurately in The Social Network, it might just be Karma.

Of course, the radical wymyn (and their wimpy male compatriots) would love to have us believe there is no significant difference in the sexes.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
BamaGrits84

Hopefull. My back pain is so bad but I really pray the doctor can offer me some relief tomorrow. Actually my back pain is now my leg & knee pain so bad that I cannot walk right. Maybe I'll ask them to cut me open right then and there!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 PM
surveyorshawn

Bamma, have you had back problems in the past?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Actually, the book was published over 20 years ago. It makes a rather persuasive case. It would be very relevant to your job. At a young age, boys are behind in verbal skills and often don't respond well to sitting at a desk listening to a lecture.

YES!!! We know! That's why we use the theory of Multiple Intelligences when writing lesson plans! Any teacher worth his or her salt won't let a little kid ( especially boys ) sit for more than 10 minutes. They tune you out!

In prek we have a 10 minute limit on lessons or stories. Then we get the kids moving. Some kind of physical activity to go with the lesson. Clapping while counting. Chanting or rapping while reciting the ABC's. Hands on activities all throughout the day. They even found that you can get boy to “open up” and talk more if you are do an activity while conversing with him.

I'm curious about the book! Never knew it was out there. I have read other things about the brain and differences in boys and girls but never that specific book. I'll give it a look! Thanks for the info!

I learned a lot about brain wiring and reading comprehension when my oldest was diagnosed with dyslexia! Very interesting stuff!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Well, from a kid's point of view - you would know where to get big boobs, since you had a pair. Guessing they don't already know how one would acquire bigger boobs if not blessed from birth.

I know you were joking! lol! Sorry! I guess you didn't know that I was joking too!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Hopefull. My back pain is so bad but I really pray the doctor can offer me some relief tomorrow. Actually my back pain is now my leg & knee pain so bad that I cannot walk right. Maybe I'll ask them to cut me open right then and there!

That's terrible! Back pain is the worst!

Is your sciatic nerve involved?! I got a ton of relief when I started seeing my chiropractor! I was getting ready for back surgery and tried a chiro instead and it was truly a blessing.

I hope you get some relief soon.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
I know you were joking! lol! Sorry! I guess you didn't know that I was joking too!
I knew. It was just a joke worth continuing.

Because it dealt with BOOBIES!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:51 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
I knew. It was just a joke worth continuing.

Because it dealt with BOOBIES!

Well let me tell you it has been a subject of interest in my afternoon class! Apparently one little boys mom is REALLY considering what she calls "reconstructive surgery" because she is the mother of 5 kids!

He gives me the play by play each day he comes in.....

"Mommy is going to see the boob doctor"

"Mommy is arguing with daddy about the new boobs"

"We get to stay with Mom-mom when mommy gets her new boobs!"

Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
County Mike

Sweet, so she's getting them done. Good for her. The world needs more nice boobs to look at.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Sweet, so she's getting them done. Good for her. The world needs more nice boobs to look at.
Yeah......Apparently over the summer. I'm glad she's doing it then because it would be "all boobies....all the time" from this little guy if she had them done during the school year.

He witnessed his little brothers birth and that made for some interesting conversations for a few weeks...........

The funniest part was when he was holding a baby doll during playtime once and while talking to another boy he lifted his shirt, attached the baby doll to his breast and started "nursing" it.

The other kid said “ What the heck are you doing?"

I jumped in and gave the little guy a bottle and told him that in school, baby dolls are fed with bottles. I’m still waiting for the La Leche League to come after me for that……