Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Was Jesus Quoting King David on The Cross

I ask..because I have stumbled across Psalm Twenty Two...which begins

My GOD, My GOD, why have you forsaken me?"

it then goes on to talk about something which happened during the Crucifixition when some of the people said that GOD would come and save him if he really was who he claimed

"But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by mankind and despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;
8 “He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him;
let him rescue him, for he delights in him!” "

But then King David...who is not being Crucified at the time he is writing this says...

" a company of evildoers encircles me;
they have pierced my hands and feet —
17 I can count all my bones—
they stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my garments among them,
and for my clothing they cast lots."

I am sure I remember that the Romans haggled over who was going to get Jesus personal belongings...and the pierced hands and feet...if that isnt a direct reference...?

He then goes on to talk about GOD as holding Kingship over the Earth and says

"All the prosperous of the earth eat and worship;
before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,
even the one who could not keep himself alive."

This is categorically not a psalm at all. Its surely rather a prophetic oracle
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Yes, he was.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Yes, he was.
That is VERY bizzare indeed
Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 PM

As is this.

Quote:
13 That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven miles [1] from Jerusalem, 14 and they were talking with each other about all these things that had happened. 15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 And he said to them, “What is this conversation that you are holding with each other as you walk?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 Then one of them, named Cleopas, answered him, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19 And he said to them, “What things?” And they said to him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, a man who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things happened. 22 Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning, 23 and when they did not find his body, they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but him they did not see.” 25 And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

found another one from Davids Psalmody, its from Number 31

Into your hand I commit my spirit

how interesting that when in pain Jesus uses the Psalms, His Own Words to comfort him like a lamment
Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
warriorlion

why would he not - Jesus used scripture all the time, in his teachings he consistanly referenced the scripture. even in the temple reading the spirit of the lord if upon me. we know that it referenced Jesus, and yet he still read it, he often said you have heard it said - so why not in his time of need and despiration would he not turn to the word - just like during his temptation - isnt that another example for us as christians to follow???
Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion View Post
why would he not - Jesus used scripture all the time, in his teachings he consistanly referenced the scripture. even in the temple reading the spirit of the lord if upon me. we know that it referenced Jesus, and yet he still read it, he often said you have heard it said - so why not in his time of need and despiration would he not turn to the word - just like during his temptation - isnt that another example for us as christians to follow???
The interesting thing is the specific scripture he's quoting from. Even people who know their Bibles well...dont usually have extensive knowledge of Psalms..I think its sometimes looked on like Song of Solomon, or Proverbs...not very important..when have you heard surmons preached only on psalms except for at a Funeral?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 AM
warriorlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
The interesting thing is the specific scripture he's quoting from. Even people who know their Bibles well...dont usually have extensive knowledge of Psalms..I think its sometimes looked on like Song of Solomon, or Proverbs...not very important..when have you heard surmons preached only on psalms except for at a Funeral?

my brother in law has a church in carmarthen, west wales - he did a study of psalms, if our interested i'll see if i can get a link to the sermons online for you
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Some branches of the Presbyterian Church used to, or still do, primarily, or exclusively, sing psalms as a form of worship. The thought being that they are scripture, and therefore divinely-inspired, and meant for worship; therefore, God's way that he has spelled out for how he wants to be worshiped.

I have a tiny book of The Psalms of David set in Metre. I bought it on-line from the UK. Metrical Psalms were a specialty of the Scots. For example, most people have heard the 23rd Psalm and might have it memorized. Here it is in the KJV.

Quote:
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:

he leadeth me beside the still waters. Rev. 7.17
3 He restoreth my soul:

he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:

thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:

and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Now here is the 23rd Psalm rearranged, in Metre, so it can be sung:

Quote:
The Lord's my shepherd, I'll not want.
He makes me down to lie
In pastures green: he leadeth me
the quiet waters by.
My soul he doth restore again;
and me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness,
ev'n for his own name's sake.

Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale,
yet will I fear none ill:
For thou art with me; and the rod
and staff me comfort still.
My table thou hast furnished
in presence of my foes;
My head thou dost with oil anoint,
and my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my life
shall surely follow me:
And in God's house for evermore
my dwelling place shall be.
I keep the tiny psalter in my coat pocket and use the end pages as a photo album for family pictures.

Here is where I bought it http://www.tbs-sales.org/
Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Rev

Back then EVERYONE knew the Psalms, when he began to quote quote them they all knew what he was saying. If you pay attention to the rest of the
22nd Psalm, it finishes in victory and triumph. Jesus was bringing their minds to the fact that that Psalm began with strife and agony and ended in victory. Kind of his way of saying, "hey yall, watch this". (JK)