Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Movement at Saint Paul's

I just saw a job advertized in Saint Paul's for the position of Canon Treasurer. It looks like the contract is up for the Priest that wronged me so badly in 2004.

He was Canon Pastor back then, but when the Treasurer left he swapped roles to Treasurer, and they employed a new Canon Pastor. Full Canons generally have between 6 and 7 years fixed contract, Minor canons seem to have between 3 and 5. The position of a Residentiary Canon used to be a crown appointment FOR LIFE which meant that you couldnt get rid of one of them...you can imagine how difficult to a certain level and possibly how stagnent the church became because there was no turn over. Anyway...the last one with Life Tenure Yielded not long before I arrived, meaning that All the Canons on Chapter by the time I began were only fixed for a certain amount of years.

Out of the Eight People I knew as Dean an Chapter, Five have gone. When Canon Warner finally leaves it will be the Sixth...almost a complete revolution One Lay Canon who I think can stay till she retires...and Canon Lucy Winkett will be the only person who is left that I served for...the Dean is gone, Two of the Lay Canons have gone, Two of the Canons have gone...Warner looks set to leave.

As for the political force which, at present bars my entry I feel back into the Church...this will mean two of the key four players will have gone. The Registrar and Canon Warner.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

As for Minor Canons...all three of them have gone which I knew. Interestingly...we're back to just Lucy Winkett as the only Woman Priest on the books again...if you dont count the lay canons...which you cant...because they are lay and not ordained
Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I dont believe it. They are going to Consecrate him

how could they after what he did

They are going to make him Suffrigen Bishop of Whitby...which GET THIS, is a Suffrigen to YORK. He's going to get a Stall in York Minster!!!

You know...the Cathedral thats turned me down on more then one occasion in the last five years

26th of Jan....He will be consecrated..I dont believe it I just cant believe it. He isnt consecratable material

I may aswell forget the Church How could they consecrate someone like him
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Crisco

Low church is wheres its at buddy.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Stump Rules!

They say that's the problem with churches Dave, there are people in them

Stop holding these people in such high regard.Do you pray to them too?

You scare me

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
They say that's the problem with churches Dave, there are people in them

Stop holding these people in such high regard.Do you pray to them too?

You scare me
Its not the people I hold in such regard...its the Office. Canon Warner is going to be made into a Suffaregen Bishop...it means a Bishop without a Cathedra, who oversees part of a Diocise on the main Bishops Behalf. He gets a Stall in the Diocsian Cathedral...which is York. There are Three Suffs to Ebor...One is Hull, which is quite a large city, One is Selby, with a working abbey of some kind...the other is a place called Whitby. Whitby is on the coast, its Abbey is a Ruin...its the setting of a Famous Work...known as Dracula...you know the writter used Whitby Abbey as the place of resting for Vlad when he was in this country...so its of huge Gothic Importance...its quite a centre with the pagens so I hear at certain points of the year...a little like a nothern Glastonbury Abbey. Its Scenic, quite a tourist destination during the summer...and its about about 50 miles I think due East of my present location

Consecration of the Bishop of Whitby and Commissioning of Archbishops’ Missioner 26 January 2010
The Bishop of Whitby will be consecrated by the Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, in York Minster at 11 am on 26 January, the Feast of St Timothy and St Titus.

The Revd Canon Martin Clive Warner MA PhD, currently Canon Treasurer of St Paul’s Cathedral, is to be consecrated as the new Bishop of Whitby, in succession to the Rt Revd Robert Ladds. The sermon will be preached by the Revd. Philip North, Team Rector of the Old St Pancras Team, London. Martin Warner will be presented by the Bishop of London, Dr Richard Chartres, and the Bishop of Hull, the Rt Revd Richard Frith.

The service will also see the Northern Province commissioning of the Rt Revd Graham Cray as Archbishops’ Missioner and Leader of Fresh Expressions. Bishop Graham, who was Priest at St Michael le Belfrey, York, from 1978 to 1992, was licensed as team leader of the national Fresh Expressions initiative by the Archbishop of Canterbury in June 2009. Fresh Expressions encourages new forms of church for a fast changing world, working with Christians from a variety of denominations and traditions. It was initiated in 2005 by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York with the Methodist Council, but now also involves the United Reformed Church and a number of other partners.

In order to prepare for the service York Minster will be closed to the public throughout the morning and will re-open to visitors at approximately 3.00pm. Those attending the 7.30am and 7.45am services should enter via the Chapter House Yard.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 PM

A gift for Tyburn. I have this written in my "Commonplace Book".

Quote:
from The Temple (1633), by George Herbert:

¶ Submission.

BUt that thou art my wisdome, Lord,
And both mine eyes are thine,
My minde would be extreamly stirr’d
For missing my designe.

Were it not better to bestow
Some place and power on me?
Then should thy praises with me grow,
And share in my degree.

But when I thus dispute and grieve,
I do resume my sight,
And pilfring what I once did give,
Disseize1 thee of thy right.

How know I, if thou shouldst me raise,
That I should then raise thee?
Perhaps great places and thy praise
Do not so well agree.

Wherefore unto my gift I stand;
I will no more advise:
Onely do thou lend me a hand,
Since thou hast both mine eyes.

1 disseize. release, let go, break your hold. [as in "dis-seize"]
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I'm not completely sure I understand
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I'm not completely sure I understand
Perhaps if God gave you the position at St. Paul's that you desire, it would become your idol (idols can be good things, but good things that are given a position above God).

Quote:
How know I, if thou shouldst me raise,
That I should then raise thee?
Perhaps great places and thy praise
Do not so well agree.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Perhaps if God gave you the position at St. Paul's that you desire, it would become your idol (idols can be good things, but good things that are given a position above God).

Oh... I dont want to go back to Saint Paul's...but I would like to go into another Cathedral The problem I have...is that I have no calling...thats what the problem is...the simple fact is...I'd take almost any position...but I'm not given a position...I'm shelved in some dark cold fridge sorting through waste vegetables...well at least not chance of Idolitry there...I am unlikely to start worshiping a broken stick of carrot...or a mouldy sprout of broccoli...or heaven forbid...a flacid parsnip