Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
Man ,isn't it Awesome that we have God's Word and that He has revealed truth to us. It's exiting to find things like this in the Bible.
Yes! it is!! Someone in Saint Paul's showed me it...and I rememberd it when I re-found it after an indepth study of Ezekiel last year...but I am rubbish at remembering the exact location of things


...and I discovered I couldnt remember what book it was in and it annoyed me not knowing...because I remember its a beautiful passage...I love it when GOD lamments because its so...lovely...he doesnt say the words in anger...he's saying them in saddness...that changes it...because you can imagine in his minds-eye, rather then being wrathful and squashing Lucifer...he is almost crying, imagining, how beautiful his creation of Lucifer was...and how Satan threw it all away...

The ONLY thing I could remember was the word "Tyre" so I typed in King of Tyre and cross referenced it...it comes up ALOT in scripture from Kings...all the way through Samuel...and finally I found the right one
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Someone just brought it to my attention that I never actually answered the original question of "What version of the Bible do you prefer?"

As you can probably guess, I prefer the Old Testament in its original Hebrew language and I prefer the New Testament in its original Greek language.

That's not saying that I can actually read those versions, but those are the ones that I prefer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Someone just brought it to my attention that I never actually answered the original question of "What version of the Bible do you prefer?"

As you can probably guess, I prefer the Old Testament in its original Hebrew language and I prefer the New Testament in its original Greek language.

That's not saying that I can actually read those versions, but those are the ones that I prefer.
Your awesome
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Most of the books omitted from the Bible were done so for reasons of historical accuracy. You can buy an Apocrypha at most books stores, which contains all the books omitted from the Old Testament.
Cool.. that's one that I didn't know of... thanks!

But how do you leave a Gods word out of the Bible for historical accuracy? Not that I disagree with you.. just that has been a part for my issues with organized religion for years.

Quote:
The Hebrew Bible (our Old Testament) has been meticulously preserved over the centuries. The Jewish Scribes would copy the scrolls letter-for-letter and if even one letter was wrong or misplaced, or if the ink bled too much and two letters touched each other, then the entire scroll would have to be discarded and they would start over. This almost extreme commitment to accuracy is why manuscripts from over 1000 years ago are virtually identical to manuscripts today. No other document has been so well preserved, making the Bible the most perfectly preserved text in all of human history.
Agreed.... read many books and I love watching History International .. but when "religious authorities" back in the day... decided what should be "left out".. I don't know that we can trust what was "put in"..

Quote:
GOD is able to work through ignorance, so that means He is able to speak through translations. As long as we approach him in humility then He will speak to us.
VERY WELL SAID sir.....
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Someone just brought it to my attention that I never actually answered the original question of "What version of the Bible do you prefer?"

As you can probably guess, I prefer the Old Testament in its original Hebrew language and I prefer the New Testament in its original Greek language.
please add to this comment I am about to post... ALL THE DRIPPING SARCASM possible.... in a good natured poking way....

realllllllly???????
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Lovely, tell me about the Former
Jesus .. At the VERY least... was a person of exceptional moral standing.

If you leave out.. water to wine, walking on water, rising from the dead...

He was the very best of humanity. Someone that a person of ANY religion should aspire to be like.

The largest part.. and the part I choose to follow was one simple message to each other...

Love each other.. be kind... things of this nature..
Jesus, if he were alive today.. would be a tree hugger hippe.. Trying to calm and bring enlightenment to a world that truly needs it...

There are several books I always recommend to people...

On A Pale Horse and For the Love of Evil by Peirs Anthony
Dead Poets Society ( I forget the author.. but the movie was great and gets the point across also)

Henry Rollins.. said one time..in describing his trip to the Holy Land...

While walking the Stations of the Cross.. He was totally put off by being there.. and what he said was just perfect for me..

As for me resolving Jesus as the Son of God.. it's hard for me to truly believe that sometimes... Like people living for 100s of years... sometimes I have serious doubts.. and that's part of my break from organized religion...

Is there a God??? I truly believe that there is.. but I don't think that "we" have it right.. in regards to what He wants of us...

And if you believe that there is a God.. you should be able to believe in His opposite.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:39 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Jesus .. At the VERY least... was a person of exceptional moral standing.
This is actually not a possibility. If you read what Jesus actually said, then there is only one of three options:

1. He was GOD - because He claimed to be GOD and He claimed to be able to forgive sins.

2. He was a liar - everything Jesus said was a deliberate deception in order to gain followers and power on earth. Definitely not an ideal that religious people should aspire to.

3. He was a lunatic - Jesus wasn't GOD, he just thought that he was GOD. This would make him a crazy man who is definitely not deserving of the description "exceptional moral standing."

Logically, those are your only options. Saying that Jesus was a good man, but not GOD is a direct rejection of the evidence.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
1) Jesus .. At the VERY least... was a person of exceptional moral standing.

2)Jesus, if he were alive today.. would be a tree hugger hippe.. Trying to calm and bring enlightenment to a world that truly needs it...

3) As for me resolving Jesus as the Son of God.. it's hard for me to truly believe that sometimes... Like people living for 100s of years... sometimes I have serious doubts.. and that's part of my break from organized religion...

3) Is there a God??? I truly believe that there is.. but I don't think that "we" have it right.. in regards to what He wants of us...

4) And if you believe that there is a God.. you should be able to believe in His opposite.
1) No Jesus at the very least is GOD

2) No, Jesus would be a King, sitting in the Throne Room of a Gigantic Temple. He would infact sit upon the Ark of the Covernant, in the Holy of Holies...for that is where the Ancients believed him to be...above the centre of the Ark...I imagine it would double as a kinda chair in which he'd sit. He would rule dogmatically also. He wouldnt be tollerant of sin

And Jesus IS alive today He sits on the Right of His Father in the Throne Room of the Heavenly Jerusalem

3) People only lived for Hundreds of years before the Flood. The Flood is Historical, its mentioned in the King list of the Sumerians, Its mentioned in the History of Mesopotamia, its mentioned in The Scriptures of Christianity, and also I believe in the Hindu Tradition to. Its mentioned in reallly ancient Egypt. That alone means the flood was from the Meditaranian all the way across India. In ALL those cultures, they also talk about their rullers from before that time living for a very long time. In all of the writings, these long years end with the people who imerge from after the flood.

If that is not enough, then try looking at what lies in the Waters off the west coast of Northern India...full Cities, that date back to aprox 10,000 BC, which would be right at the end of the last ice age, AND right where all cultures speak of a very powerful race of people...which until recently, no historian or scholar has taken seriously.

Now there seems to be a lot of factual, and scientific evidence to suggest that the Bible, as with all the ancient cultures, are infact telling the truth. There was an Ancient and powerful civilization that was obliterated by some kind of Flood.

3) No what you mean is, you dont think that anyone else has it right. I'm sure you have your views and are certain on them. The problem with all of this is that what you have is nothing more then an opinion...and everyone has an opinion...what you need is something absolute, and higher then your own personal thoughts on the issue.

You either Believe Jesus or you Do Not...because what he said means he was either a really good person...or a really horrible person. If you dont believe he is good, you shouldnt be pulling parts of his theology to use...like you do with the Golden Rule...which...incidently, doest tell you right from wrong.

4) GOD doesnt have an opposite. If he did...there would be TWO gods wouldnt there...one GOD who is good, one who is Bad. Lucifer, Satan...whatever you want to call him...is NOT a god. One of the pre-requisits for being GOD is that you are beggoton and not Created. Lucifer was Created...therefore he is not Equal to GOD because he was Created by GOD...Secondly, you have to be all knowing, and omnipotent. Lucifer, is a created Being. He can only be in one single place at one single time...and he can be delayed. We know this, because we know the limitations put on Heavenly Hosts. They are only able to be in one place at one time...and it can take them a period of time to get from one place to the other.

The Opposite to GOD is NO GOD...its an absence. Think about it. You have to have something that produces Light...but what object produces Darkness? Nothing...Nothing makes Darkness...its simply the absence of something that produces Light.

I thought you might have put some intelligent thought into this subject
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I thought you might have put some intelligent thought into this subject

And I thought you might pay attention.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
And I thought you might pay attention.
I always pay attention
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.