Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 04-02-2010, 03:13 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Here is an ESPN video posted today with Roy talking about the Green fight and who had the better career between him and Hopkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC7hOyWFI4E
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Okay, Bernard got the win, as many figured he would, but it was hardly the performance people expected from Hopkins. I think a lot was proven about both fighters during this fight. Here's my take.

Roy Jones:
Roy seemed tentative early on which got him down on the scorecards and he never really got his hands going the entire fight. He looked good in some shades later on when he did let off flurries of punches, but Bernard's hard-nose style of coming forward with jabs and then wrapping guys up is tough for anybody to deal with, especially a fighter with Roy's style. As stated numerous times, I will always love Roy, but I just don't think he can fully utilize that unorthodox style of Boxing at this point in his career. He still has speed, and he can still hit with accuracy, but it's as if his legs just are not underneath him like they used to be. Roy did show good defense at times, and he did take some pretty good shots from Bernard (including a headbutt that cut Roy's eye open) but he never seemed really hurt at any point, and he made the fight much more competitive than anybody expected him too.

Bernard Hopkins: This fight just proved that Hopkins is completely obsessed with saying he is better than Roy Jones. He fought like a bully and a crybaby at the same time and even after failing to "destroy" Roy as he promised he would, he dared to suggest that he would challenge David Haye. If Hopkins couldn't handle the rabbit punch he got from Roy tonight, then he would be out knocked out cold if he ever fought Haye. People know what to expect when they fight Bernard Hopkins and he didn't fail to deliver that tonight. Numerous headbutts, low-blows, rabbit-punches, late-hits, and blatant stalling tactics designed to get points deducted from Jones only further the criticisms of him being perceived as a "dirty" fighter.

It got really heated at the end of the 6th round, and I cannot believe that Bernard was not reprimanded or even DQ'd for his actions while the ref was between him and Jones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bC19...layer_embedded

Last edited by J.B.; 04-04-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Chuck

Link to the fight anyone???
Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
logrus

What a terrible fight... I never liked Hopkins then or now,
Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM

jones should of just kicked hopkins in the nuts in the last round to get even and called it a day.. funny thing is he actually could of won if he threw more punches.. wasnt impressed by hopkins at all
Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
jones should of just kicked hopkins in the nuts in the last round to get even and called it a day.. funny thing is he actually could of won if he threw more punches.. wasnt impressed by hopkins at all

I watched the fight with a couple of buddies who are more into MMA than Boxing, and they said the exact same thing. We were laughing and saying stuff like "Roy should shoot for a double-leg take down and elbow B-Hop in that giant forehead".

I agree, Roy could have taken that fight if he would have let his hands go, but Hopkins strength does deserve respect and I think Roy's plan was to wait a little bit and then turn it on, but with all the theatrics in the middle rounds of the fight it made it hard to gain much momentum. I was really hoping Roy would just lose the unorthodox style in the last couple rounds and try to unload on Hopkins and go for broke because in all honesty this was likely the very last time we will see Roy, but in the end I think Roy felt he won the moral victory and he can hold his head high no matter what.

You know what though, all the BS and "old-man" talk aside. There was one thing that Sugar Ray said that really hit home for me after the fight was over, and that was basically that no matter if this fight didn't mean anything to the rankings or the history books, it meant something to THEM, and that needs to be respected.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

RJJ shoulda slapped a guillotine on right there ...

now we hear bhop talk crap about revenge blah blah blah .... that's why i never liked this fight ... its like tito ortiz beating lidell now ... not that it matters, but you'll never hear the end of it from tito ... a lose lose situation
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
RJJ shoulda slapped a guillotine on right there ...

now we hear bhop talk crap about revenge blah blah blah .... that's why i never liked this fight ... its like tito ortiz beating lidell now ... not that it matters, but you'll never hear the end of it from tito ... a lose lose situation
I hear you bro, but just like I said to BJ44 in my last post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
You know what though, all the BS and "old-man" talk aside. There was one thing that Sugar Ray said that really hit home for me after the fight was over, and that was basically that no matter if this fight didn't mean anything to the rankings or the history books, it meant something to THEM, and that needs to be respected.
Jones won the moral victory, and Big-Head did exactly what we knew he would do. Hopkins fought dirty and then cried when Roy gave it right back. He was scared to death of Roy catching him in the later rounds, so he used stalling tactics at the end of rounds to buy time to catch his breath, then he unloaded to "steal" the round from the judges. Even using that big ass head of head of his to cut Roy open in round 2 didn't help him put Roy away. B-Hop is a Hall of Famer, without a doubt, but I will NEVER put him above Roy, end of story.

For a light heavyweight - middleweight fighter who is SUPPOSED to be considered top 5 P4P in the sport right now (cough cough cuz Golden Boy owns The Ring magazine) Hopkins looked sloppy and sad last night. I honestly think that Pacquiao or Floyd could have beaten the Hopkins we seen last night, and I'm not kidding.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Not to change the subject completely, but did anybody else watch David Haye's destruction of John Ruiz yesterday?

Haye landed some rabbit punches in that fight that would have KILLED B-Hop if he was SERIOUSLY hurt by the little kitten-pawing he got from Roy, and then he still wants to go on record and challenge Haye?

Don't do it Bernard....ride off into the sunset and let it end here. Roy...you too.