Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Jones vs Hopkins II

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=4824611

This news is actually very surprising, but after Hopkins could not reach an agreement with Danny Green over money, and with the failure to secure the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight in March by Golden Boy Promotions, they have actually given this fight a second chance. They had agreed to it late last year, but when both men took tune up fights last month, the fight got sidetracked after Roy Jones suffered a first round stoppage to Danny Green.

So now, here we are, with a rematch that will likely happen almost exactly 17 years later. I think to say it's a little late would be an understatement, however there may be a diamond hidden in the rough with this one.

Jones and Hopkins are both still major draws within the boxing community, and even the purists who are screaming for both men to retire will likely still tune in to this PPV. That is something Boxing could desperately use, especially in the midst of the the mess with Floyd and Manny. It may not hold much relevance in the way of the future, as both fighters are definitely on the backside of their careers, but it's still a good ol' fashioned grudge match between two of the sport's biggest showmen. I say let's get it on and settle this once and for all.

I have a ton of other opinions on this... but as a fan, I am just psyched to hear it's happening.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Here is an article from BoxingScene with both guys commenting on the fight. I'm stoked for this even if it is for the Senior Citizens Championship.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25061
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
rearnakedchoke

I am not to happy about this ... too many boxers stay around too long and i wouldn't go as far as to say tarnish their careers, but don't do it any justice ...... i would rather my fav fighter of all time RJJ just retire (unless it is to lay a beating on anderson silva LOL)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

There is a point where every athlete has to judge when it's best to walk away from the sport, and I honestly think the only reason Roy has stuck around the last couple years was because of the hopes of landing this fight with Hopkins. The Danny Green loss didn't help his case coming into this fight, but I think no matter which way it goes this will likely be the last time we see Roy Jones lace up the gloves.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 AM
rearnakedchoke

i hear ya, but b-hop wins this and than goes on by saying he woulda won whether it was now or right after their first fight and that he was better all along and how roy was ducking him .... i don't think he has lost a fight since jermain taylor (i think he won the calzaghe fight, but was close) and no one has been better in their forties than him (maybe archie moore, but you would have to ask a boxing historian) .... so we'll see how it goes
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i hear ya, but b-hop wins this and than goes on by saying he woulda won whether it was now or right after their first fight and that he was better all along and how roy was ducking him .... i don't think he has lost a fight since jermain taylor (i think he won the calzaghe fight, but was close) and no one has been better in their forties than him (maybe archie moore, but you would have to ask a boxing historian) .... so we'll see how it goes
I don't think this fight will be as easy for Hopkins as a lot of people are making it seem. Regardless, B-Hop will never be able to claim that he could have beaten Roy back in the day. Jones beat him convincingly in the first fight and he did it with one hand, everybody knows that.

I don't like Hopkins very much, but I got a lot of respect for his skills and what he has accomplished.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Jones and Hopkins had a "formal debate" for the press conference for their upcoming fight.

This video is absolutely hilarious.

http://www.boxingtalk.com/video/debate_2836.asx
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

WAR JONES!!!

BOOOO, BIG HEAD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos...&v=GoCOg8ZzUfg
Old 03-27-2010, 12:45 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Last edited by J.B.; 03-27-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:03 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCOg8ZzUfg