Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
rearnakedchoke

i can't remember if i said this, but i think clottley won the cotto fight
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i can't remember if i said this, but i think clottley won the cotto fight
I felt the same too. He slowed down in the last 2 rounds, but in round 12, ate a punch to the back of the head (and something else). Cotto didn't get docked by the ref. Clottey also suffered a body slam somewhere in the middle of the fight as well.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Dana White is attending the fight and giving away 10 tickets: http://fighthype.com/pages/content7123.html

Quote:
Going to the pac man vs clottey fight in dallas this weekend," stated UFC President Dana White in his latest Twitter update. The always busy White recently informed fans that he plans on taking time out of his schedule to attend Saturday's welterweight showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey. Never one to shy away from stating his opinion, White made it clear who he thinks will win, "Pac man by ko in the 8th!"

In the past, White let it be known that he's been less than impressed with a lot of recent matchups in boxing. Last year, he blasted Floyd Mayweather Jr. for his selection of Juan Manuel Marquez in his first fight back from retirement. "Boxing is doing it to you again," White would remark at the time. "They're giving you the fight that you don't want. Nobody asked for this fight with Mayweather and...what's his name? What's his name? Nobody even knows. Nobody in this room even knows who Floyd's fighting." Apparently, White is much more familiar with Ghanian Joshua Clottey and is looking forward to attending the event in Dallas this weekend. "Clottey is a big, durable, tough guy so its gonna take pac man a few rounds should be a fun fight! Pac man never disappoints," he added.

It's kind of ironic that White will be attending a Top Rank promoted event, considering comments that promoter Bob Arum has made in the past & about the UFC and MMA in general. "UFC are a bunch of skinhead white guys watching people in the ring who also look like skinhead white guys...Ninety percent of the people in the audience wear tattoos. I don't care. That's up to them. But those aren't people that would have any interest, at any time, in boxing," Arum commented last September when he was asked if the UFC going head-to-head with a boxing event would hinder pay-per-view sales for either sport. "For me, and people like me, it is not something they ever care to see. They've watched it. It's horrible. Guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport that shows great, great talent," he added.

One has to wonder if Arum will still share those same sentiments when he finds out the UFC President is attending his event. My guess is that he'll do a 180 & welcome White to the promotion with open arms and the two will have a good laugh about the comments. Don't be surprised if Manny Pacquiao attends a UFC event in the near future.

For those that are interested, White is also giving away 10 pairs of tickets to fans. Just follow him on Twitter for all the latest updates on how you can win.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Arum and White in the same building is like dividing by zero
Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Arum and White in the same building is like dividing by zero
LOL, I love it!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

For real though, I am psyched for this fight. It's not the fight we wanted on March 13, but it's a good match-up for both men.

I am thinking that Pac will likely score a mid-late KO, but if Clottey manages to outbox Manny and then gets robbed by the judges it will set the sport back again in the minds of the mainstream fans.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
For real though, I am psyched for this fight. It's not the fight we wanted on March 13, but it's a good match-up for both men.

I am thinking that Pac will likely score a mid-late KO, but if Clottey manages to outbox Manny and then gets robbed by the judges it will set the sport back again in the minds of the mainstream fans.
I'm psyched too, Manny never disappoints and Clottey is one tough SOB.

I felt Clottey was robbed in the Cotto fight, but I still see how it could be viewed as a victory for Cotto.

I see Manny with a KO in the 10th.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Jerry Jones claims it's nearly a sellout of the 45,000 seats available. Quite impressive considering the rumors of a lesser undercard. I think you'll see Manny hosting all of his fights here in the future. Think if him and Mayweather could come to terms; no doubt they could break attendance records in this stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4983610

Quote:
Jones hints that fight is nearing sellout

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Wednesday afternoon's news conference between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey promoting their Saturday fight at Cowboys Stadium was without the trash talking and other bravado seen in someone else who might be interested in this event.

There were subtle reminders from Pacquiao, Clottey and promoter Bob Arum about being a pro. And although nobody mentioned Floyd Mayweather Jr., considered along with Pacquiao as one of the best fighters in boxing pound-for-pound, it was clear he was on people's minds.

"Both sides, no trash talking," said Pacquiao, who will defend his WBO welterweight title. "We can be a good example to everybody."

Added Clottey: "We have much respect."

Yet things are getting spirited between Clottey and Pacquiao.

Clottey said nobody has ever rocked him with a shot, and he will face a man with 38 knockouts in 53 pro fights.

"Nobody has every beat me or cracked me," said Clottey, who has lost three close fights. "I want to see what he can do."

Pacquiao and Clottey will probably do it in front of a sellout crowd in the first fight at Cowboys Stadium.

Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones, fresh off morning meetings to discuss free agency with his NFL team, said there are a few hundred seats available for the 45,000 seating capacity. He expects the event to be a sellout.

"We are really moving toward that number real good," Jones said. "Down to just a few hundred, and I'm talking about just a few hundred at different levels."

Jones hinted that the fight could be a sellout by the end of the business day Wednesday. Jones, however, needs this fight, called The Event, to succeed because he put down a $7 million site fee, with some conditions. A return on his investment could lead to future fights.

For a proposed Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, Jones guaranteed $25 million for a site fee, the largest in boxing history, and said he would have needed to sell 100,000 seats to make the financing work.

For this one on Saturday night, he doesn't need as much, just a superstar fighter in Pacquiao who is a national icon in his native Philippines, where after the fight he will finish his campaign for a run at a congressional seat.

"Even a greater story is that he hasn't lost his humanity," Arum said of Pacquiao. "With the storm, corruption and poverty in his country, he wants to change that. Be something different. I hope this is the last prefight press conference where I introduce him as plain old Manny Pacquiao. I want to introduce him as congressman Manny Pacquiao."

The fighters will see each other one more time at Friday's weigh-in before Saturday's fight.

Waiting is Mayweather, who while not here, isn't forgotten.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:41 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Jerry Jones claims it's nearly a sellout of the 45,000 seats available. Quite impressive considering the rumors of a lesser undercard. I think you'll see Manny hosting all of his fights here in the future. Think if him and Mayweather could come to terms; no doubt they could break attendance records in this stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4983610
I wanna know how many of those tickets are comp. I figured if they got Margarito on the undercard they would do good, but that fell through and with the steam behind May vs Mosley, I just don't see how this fight sold that well.

Is the undercard stacked with Mexicans? I will be honest, I don't know...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I forgot, this is a good undercard!

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...ttey_undercard

Humberto Soto vs. David Diaz
Jose Luis Castillo vs. Alfonso Gomez
John Duddy vs. Michael Medina

I love watching Humberto Soto fight! Gomez is alright too but was more exciting on The Contender, but I still admire his heart.