Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Pacquiao vs Clottey

So, lets talk about this fight.

It's happening in Dallas supposedly with the stadium being set up to hold 50,000 people.

Right now there is a bit of conflicting reports about weight, with Arum and Roach saying the fight will be at 147 and Michael Koncz (pac's advisor) saying that there will be a 143 catch weight. (personally I think this fight has to happen at 147 because I really don't think Clottey can make 143, so Koncz might just be an idiot)

Clottey is a tough dude. He has only really lost to Cotto and Margarito. Technically he lost to Baldomir, but it was because of a headbutt that is arguable over if it was intentional or not. However, Clottey has never been stopped in a fight, so this could be interesting to see.

All that being said, I think this is a somewhat interesting fight, but at this point in both their careers, Manny should make easy work of Clottey.

Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Clottey isn't a big household name in the U.S., but Pac's name alone is enough to get plenty of ticket and PPV sales. Also, Texas has the 3rd highest Filipino population in the U.S., there will be plenty of Pinoys in attendance aside from just those who love Pac, and would love to be a part of a big fight at the new Cowboys stadium!

Clottey poses a real threat to Pac due to his physical prowess, that dude is TOUGH and HUGE for a welterweight. However, speed kills and Pac will have more than enough advantage in that department to chop down the bigger opponent.

Too bad I'm back in Missouri and will still be here rather than in Texas, I may have went to the fight

On a side note, it's stupid for the business that him and Mayweather are fighting on the same night, but not against each other or on the same venue.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Clottey isn't a big household name in the U.S., but Pac's name alone is enough to get plenty of ticket and PPV sales. Also, Texas has the 3rd highest Filipino population in the U.S., there will be plenty of Pinoys in attendance aside from just those who love Pac, and would love to be a part of a big fight at the new Cowboys stadium!

Clottey poses a real threat to Pac due to his physical prowess, that dude is TOUGH and HUGE for a welterweight. However, speed kills and Pac will have more than enough advantage in that department to chop down the bigger opponent.

Too bad I'm back in Missouri and will still be here rather than in Texas, I may have went to the fight

On a side note, it's stupid for the business that him and Mayweather are fighting on the same night, but not against each other or on the same venue.
Well...in all fairness to both guys, they need to go on with their careers if they are not going to fight each other. They both had been planning on fighting on that date, and just like in the negotiations for their fight, neither man is going to want to back down from March 13th date, and certainly not for the other man.

I do have a pretty direct question for you thought Rock...

Will you still believe Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year? Obviously it would not be on March 13, but they are still saying if Mosley beats Berto that GBP is pushing to make that fight and that Floyd has agreed.

Also, if Floyd does go on to fight Mosley this year, who is Pac going to fight? Let's be honest, fighting Clottey is a downgrade, Pacquiao declined to fight Yuri Foreman because of his height, and the rumor is that all Golden Boy fighters are going to request the same type of drug testing that Mayweather did. So, who is Pac left with?

Mayweather vs Mosley is the second biggest fight Boxing could have right now, obviously behind Manny vs Floyd.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well...in all fairness to both guys, they need to go on with their careers if they are not going to fight each other. They both had been planning on fighting on that date, and just like in the negotiations for their fight, neither man is going to want to back down from March 13th date, and certainly not for the other man.
True that, but the only people really losing here are boxing fans who would like to see both fights. Of course, it can be done, but few people can afford to buy both fights, so being forced to make a choice kinda sucks. IMO, since the event was already booked at the MGM Grand on March 13, Pac should have just went for March 6 or March 20, but it's an easy decision for me which fight to buy anyways.

Quote:
I do have a pretty direct question for you thought Rock...

Will you still believe Floyd is afraid to fight a top welterweight if they make the fight with Mosley this year? Obviously it would not be on March 13, but they are still saying if Mosley beats Berto that GBP is pushing to make that fight and that Floyd has agreed.
No, absolutely not. I will drop it entirely as Mosley is one of the best on the planet at WW.

Quote:
Also, if Floyd does go on to fight Mosley this year, who is Pac going to fight? Let's be honest, fighting Clottey is a downgrade, Pacquiao declined to fight Yuri Foreman because of his height, and the rumor is that all Golden Boy fighters are going to request the same type of drug testing that Mayweather did. So, who is Pac left with?
Yes, definitely a downgrade, but I also felt that Clottey won that fight against Cotto. Cotto had some dirty shots in there (throw, back to the head punch, low blow) that definitely made a difference in the fight. Clottey's a real threat to anybody in the welterweight class, but I feel he'll always be a gatekeeper like Judah.

A decent option might be Timothy Bradley as Pac's biggest weight so far was about 149 (I think wasn't that his weight against Cotto on fight night?). Bradley is only 26 and is 24-0-1. I think Pac would take him, but Bradley's small, fast, and packs a good punch for a jr. ww.

Of course, there's always the Marquez trilogy

Pac's biggest challenges will always be Mayweather, Mosley, Paul Williams (yeah right, nobody wants a piece of that guy), and Yuri Foreman (tougher fight that most people realize).
Old 01-12-2010, 01:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I don't think Paul Williams has any business fighting at WW, dude is just too long and too big. I know Paul is bad-ass but he needs to be fighting guys his own size.

Bradley might be a good opponent, but I also don't think he would be able to do anything to Pac.

I think Pac would have walked over Yuri Foreman, but Pac said a week or two ago that he didn't want to fight him because he felt Foreman was too tall. At least, that was what I read.

Oh...then there is Marquez...but the last thing I read about that was that Marquez asked for a 50/50 split on the purse and he wanted the random blood testing too.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Here are some pics from the press conference

This is pretty hilarious....

Geez...you'd think they are fighting at half-time...

Jerry Jones is creepy

She is not so creepy
Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

LOL, Jerry Jones is a cheap-ass....

He couldn't even get them some official jerseys stitched up.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24793

They are calling this "The Event"

I think thats a weird name, but whatever...

Pacquiao says he loves the stadium and he felt like a football player, lol
Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 AM

I miss these big outdoor-ish arena fights. this should be cool.

[
Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I miss these big outdoor-ish arena fights. this should be cool.
I do too, I just hope it's not all overkill to over hype this fight. You know Jerry Jones likes to make a spectacle of things, and that is cool, but this fight don't deserve a parade through the streets or anything. It is what it is.

It's not the worst fight by any means, but I just think Arum jumped the gun so he could keep the money in house with Top Rank guys and still fight on March 13.

Margarito may be making a comeback on this card too.