Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
While the person in the Arm bar has the responsibility to tap neither fighter should and probably don't deliberately break an arm! If the arm break was an accident I can cut some slack. Flipping someone of after breaking their arm however is very poor sportsmanship and bad for the sport!
After watching the video it did kind of look to me as if he broke it on purpose! The antics after the fight was uncalled for as well!
he said in another interview where he was supposedly apologizing that he would have stopped if he tapped, but since he didn't he knew he was going to break it and that he wasn't going to stop cranking until there was a tap or the ref stepped in ..

i really don't have a problem with it either ... tap, snap or nap .. it's the name of the game ..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
eric84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
If he "meant" to break his arm.. yeah.. I would be ticked.. but honestly I can't tell if it was intentional or not. If it was intentional.. that's actually against the rules and considered a foul in the UFC (Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.)

The bragging about it afterwards.. that's just wrong.. bad sportsmanship..
In the UFC that is against the rules also
Do you have any backing on if that is a foul or not in the UFC? I personally didn't think it was, but if it is I just wanted to see the rules regarding it. I don't see how you can give someone a foul when your supposed to be fighting them, and they refuse to tap. If anything you should give a foul to the person who refuses to tap for putting his health at risk!(which I think would be dumb too). I have never seen a rule stating anything about if your going to put someone in a submission that has the potential to break something you have to go slow to give them enough time to tap. It would be very easy to "intentionally" break something and then say you didn't think it was as bad as that because they weren't tapping.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
suntereo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i didnt read the whole thread and dont know of the history between the fighters but could it be possible that Aoki was so upset because the guy made him break his arm by refusing to tap. I would be pissed at some idiot that was too tough to tap when he knew it was done.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Silverback
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
If he could have gotten it another way, "YES!". Looked like he deliberately broke the guy's arm and enjoyed it.

Matt could have broken Gracie's arm ('cause that man wasn't going to tap), but he didn't. So he just GnP'd him.
Yea that just shows what the twin's are made of, just good people.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have no problem with Aoki breaking the arm, like other people have said if the guy does not tap thats his own fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Matt could have broken Gracie's arm ('cause that man wasn't going to tap), but he didn't. So he just GnP'd him.
Im not sure how true this is but I read somewhere that Gracie has said that the arm bar Matt had would not have broken his arm.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntereo View Post
i didnt read the whole thread and dont know of the history between the fighters but could it be possible that Aoki was so upset because the guy made him break his arm by refusing to tap. I would be pissed at some idiot that was too tough to tap when he knew it was done.
That's sort of what I thought.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I have no problem with Aoki breaking the arm, like other people have said if the guy does not tap thats his own fault.


Im not sure how true this is but I read somewhere that Gracie has said that the arm bar Matt had would not have broken his arm.
Matt was going for a kimura on Gracie (if I'm not mistaken). I have no doubt that Matt could have broken his arm if he had kept going. Besides, what else would Gracie say, but that.

I don't get it--why didn't the ref just stop it and give the win to Aoki since the other guy wasn't gonna tap, yet he couldn't defend himself either. What's the difference between stopping the fight when someone is being GnP'd and can't defend themselves and this particular fight. In both the opponent is unable to defend himself. In this case, the ref could clearly see where it was leading but he lets Aoki break the arm then stops the fight. If the guy isn't going to tap, then go ahead and stop it and give it to Aoki.

I think the guy should have tapped, but I don't think Aoki should have gone ahead and broke his arm.
__________________

Last edited by Bonnie; 01-08-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Matt was going for a kimura on Gracie (if I'm not mistaken). I have no doubt that Matt could have broken his arm if he had kept going. Besides, what else would Gracie say, but that.

I don't get it--why didn't the ref just stop it and give the win to Aoki since the other guy wasn't gonna tap, yet he couldn't defend himself either. What's the difference between stopping the fight when someone is being GnP'd and can't defend themselves and this particular fight. In both the opponent is unable to defend himself. In this case, the ref could clearly see where it was leading but he lets Aoki break the arm then stops the fight. If the guy isn't going to tap, then go ahead and stop it and give it to Aoki.

I think the guy should have tapped, but I don't think Aoki should have gone ahead and broke his arm.
it was a straight armbar



Gracie coudl have said he was not gonna tap no matter when but thats not what he said.


You cant just end a fight because someone is caught in a submission. There have been times when people have been caught in chokes and have survived. There are also cases where some people can bend in ways others cant. A shoulder lock that might make me tap might not make you tap. IMO the ref should only stop a fight in the fighter taps, goes out or something snaps.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
That was fun to watch!
Fedor looks so quick.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
it was a straight armbar



IMO the ref should only stop a fight in the fighter taps, goes out or something snaps.
Hmmm...I thought it was a kimura. I'm going to have to go watch it now. Not that I don't believe you, Max. If you're right, I'll come back and say, "Max, you were right!" Even if it kills me!

As for whathisname, alright already, I get it! SNAP, CRACKLE and POP, or in this case, POP, CRACKLE and SNAP!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.