Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Default "Arab-American" Students Make T-shirts Mocking Twin Tower Collapse

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

Quote:

DEARBORN, Michigan At least nine Detroit area high school juniors are in trouble for wearing sweat shirts bearing a design that evokes the terrorist attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center's Twin Towers.

Dearborn Public Schools spokesman David Mustonen has told The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press that the shirts the boys wore to Edsel Ford High School on Monday are "offensive" and in "poor taste."

The boys are Arab-American, as are about half the school's 1,700 students.

They belong to the 2011 class. On the shirts, the number 11 resembles two buildings, with the school's "Thunderbird" mascot flying toward them. Printed beneath the image are the words, "You can't bring us down."

The boys are to meet with school officials but suspensions are not planned.

Somehow I don't think these "Arab-American" students are Lebanese Maronite Christians. For those who don't know, Dearborn, Michigan has so many radical Muslims it is often referred to as "Dearbornistan". I would bet that every one of the students is a Muslim.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

Somehow I don't think these "Arab-American" students are Lebanese Maronite Christians. For those who don't know, Dearborn, Michigan has so many radical Muslims it is often referred to as "Dearbornistan". I would bet that every one of the students is a Muslim.
I'm not entirely sure I have a problem with the shirts to be honest.. I mean I can see where they could be in poor taste, perhaps insensitive... but I don't see them as horribly offensive.

For now I'm going with inappropriate and moderately offensive.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
County Mike

My first thought on this was that the students were saying it in a patriotic way. Almost as a tribute to the twin towers. Without knowing their intentions, it's hard for me to judge.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm not entirely sure I have a problem with the shirts to be honest.. I mean I can see where they could be in poor taste, perhaps insensitive... but I don't see them as horribly offensive.

For now I'm going with inappropriate and moderately offensive.
I will agree withthis statement.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 PM

That shirt makes my skin crawl.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Miss Foxy

I took it as the opposite way meaning it's going to take more than 09/11 to bring our country down..Im confused? I don't see it as anti-American?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I took it as the opposite way meaning it's going to take more than 09/11 to bring our country down..Im confused? I don't see it as anti-American?

Agreed,,,

At worst.. going the other way it's in poor taste....

If it is a "smack in the face"... the shirt creator needs to try harder... and hopefully they will wear that shirt around a member of the armed forces.. It's easy to bash on this country standing behind a Marine! Or any other member of the armed forces.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Primadawn

OK, this is a "Class of '11" thing right? So how I took it, was "you can take the twin towers down...but not us"
Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn View Post
OK, this is a "Class of '11" thing right? So how I took it, was "you can take the twin towers down...but not us"
I took it the same way, but yes I would say poor judgement.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

BREAKING NEWS : High School kids do something stupid and tasteless, more at 11....