Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 12-29-2009, 05:18 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Hanging a Heavy Bag

As I alluded to in the "What Did You Get?" thread, I'm planning to buy myself a heavy bag & hang it from the rafters in the garage. I'm trying to determine the best method. My initial plan was to bolt a 2x4 (or maybe something larger) between two of the rafters & suspend the bag (using a heavy bag swivel mount) from said piece of lumber. Anyone got an better ideas?

I also bought a heavy duty spring from Home Depot today with a working load of 325lbs. I'll have that between the bag itself and the mount to take some of the stress off of the 2x4. I'd love some tips, people!!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:12 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Actually, I have one of these and I like it a lot because it allows me to move the bag much easier when I need to. Also, since it's not attached to the rafters, it's not as noisy to the rest of the people in the house.

However, I still have always liked the idea of a free hanging bag because then you can move 360 degrees around it while working out.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
County Mike

If you have room, go with a 2x6 and hang it so the face of the 2x6 is vertical. It will be a lot stronger that way. Another option is a steel pipe with a heavy bracket to attach the bag.

Or, you could go for a water filled "Torso Bob" and just put it anywhere.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
If you have room, go with a 2x6 and hang it so the face of the 2x6 is vertical. It will be a lot stronger that way. Another option is a steel pipe with a heavy bracket to attach the bag.

Those torso bob's are pretty cool
Ben, I hung one in my basement in IN and just put an I bolt through one of the beams and hung the bag from the I bolt. this was a very low ceiling so this may not help you. I'll see if I can get a pic of the contraption they use at the gym. it uses a big spring like you're referring to.

[
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

Actually, I have one of these and I like it a lot because it allows me to move the bag much easier when I need to. Also, since it's not attached to the rafters, it's not as noisy to the rest of the people in the house.

However, I still have always liked the idea of a free hanging bag because then you can move 360 degrees around it while working out.
I'd love to get a stand or a Cornerman, but just the bag itself is going to pretty much drain the cash I've got, so I gotta hang it as cheap as possible. Maybe next year I can upgrade. On the plus side, it's a detached garage, so I don't have to worry about the roof coming down on my family!

Quote:
You mean laying it down "flat" as opposed to "tall", right? I think that's what me & my dad were planning to do.

Quote:
Those things are awesome! I think if I ever gte one I'd end up drawing all over him with sharpies: mustache, glasses, little hearts on his boxers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Ben, I hung one in my basement in IN and just put an I bolt through one of the beams and hung the bag from the I bolt. this was a very low ceiling so this may not help you. I'll see if I can get a pic of the contraption they use at the gym. it uses a big spring like you're referring to.
Yeah, I was originally thinking of just using an I-Bolt, but I read "horror" stories of the bolt sheering because it wasn't able to rotate & twist with the bag. The mount I'm planning to use is only $10 (free S&H), so I figure it's worth the money:

Thanks for the quick responses, y'all. Any new ideas??
Old 12-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Miss Foxy

Hey Ben how many pounds is your bag???
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
County Mike

I actually meant, "tall" - not flat. When flat, they aren't as strong. You could probably use an existing joist if the span isn't too great.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

Yeah, I was originally thinking of just using an I-Bolt, but I read "horror" stories of the bolt sheering because it wasn't able to rotate & twist with the bag. The mount I'm planning to use is only $10 (free S&H), so I figure it's worth the money:

Thanks for the quick responses, y'all. Any new ideas??
The worst that happened to be was the bolt unscrewing itself from spinning.
That bracket looks pretty good!

[
Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Hey Ben how many pounds is your bag???
It's a 100lb Nevatear Everlast bag.

Quote:
I actually meant, "tall" - not flat. When flat, they aren't as strong. You could probably use an existing joist if the span isn't too great.
Yeah good call. See, now I'm starting to recall all my old HS physics & stuff about tension & flexion (sp?) & stuff.

Quote:
The worst that happened to be was the bolt unscrewing itself from spinning.
That bracket looks pretty good!
I think that's the point of this bracket since it's got the swivel point on it.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Robertboxerboy

Quote:
Thats exactly what we did. The local boxing club was in my basement for the longest time. Worked great.