Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 12-27-2009, 02:00 AM
ufcfan2

Default Bjj conditioning

Hi,
I've been doing BJJ for about 3 weeks at 1x a week,but they only teaching it 2x a week...
I've done Kickboxing for about a year,and found out the hard way that BJJ conditioning is a different kindof animal. Ive found myself tapping due to complete exhaustion(gasping for air,and my chest just feels soo heavy/tired).
Is there any excercises to help speed up the conditioning and strength,especially my chest...I've been doing pushups more than usual and some other odds/in chest movements to break up the normal stuff I do(machine bench,etc.).
Some of it will get better I'm sure the more I do it,and stop panicing at times,plus I have a bad habit of holding the breath( I do have some heart palputations,but don't think thats the reasoning for my crappy cardio).
Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Breathing has a huge impact on your grappling. I do yoga so I employed the breathing techniques I learned there in my JJ. You have to control that urge to panic and aboslutely cannot hold your breath. When I first started I held my breath but my grappling partners always reminded me to breath during our rolling sessions when they felt what I was doing.

It takes practice to learn the breathing and have it become normal for you. Remember to slow down while rolling and breath calmly.

~Amy
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Jason 16

Ive found bjj conditioning realy easy compared to how hard we are pushed in wrestling practice.
my problem was that it took me awhile to get past getting tired some what quickly boxing
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Breathing has a huge impact on your grappling. I do yoga so I employed the breathing techniques I learned there in my JJ. You have to control that urge to panic and aboslutely cannot hold your breath. When I first started I held my breath but my grappling partners always reminded me to breath during our rolling sessions when they felt what I was doing.
It takes practice to learn the breathing and have it become normal for you. Remember to slow down while rolling and breath calmly.

~Amy
ya, few partners i've had so far said the same to me a few times.."remember ur supposed to breath"...
Old 12-28-2009, 12:50 PM
County Mike

It's amazing how tiring something new can be. It seems anything you're not used to will tire you out more quickly. If your general conditioning is good, I think you'll adapt pretty quickly. Also, controlling your breathing will help a lot. Don't grapple in "panic mode".
Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 AM
WilliamWallace

The more you roll the more you will learn how to breathe properly. Jiu Jitsu is about knowing when you can relax and when you need to explode. New guys only explode, which is why they gas out so quick. The best way to increase your grappling is to...keep grappling. But since you cannot do that I would recommend burpees.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post
The more you roll the more you will learn how to breathe properly. Jiu Jitsu is about knowing when you can relax and when you need to explode. New guys only explode, which is why they gas out so quick. The best way to increase your grappling is to...keep grappling. But since you cannot do that I would recommend burpees.

Ugh, I hate burpees.

~Amy