Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Because historical records prove that it is the most reliable ancient document in human history.

It passes the test of historicity in that there is evidence that most of the books were written within the lifespans of living eyewitnesses to the actual events. In other words, when most of these books were originally written you could actually check their stories against the accounts of people who were alive to witness those events themselves.
F.F. Bruce's The New Testament Documents - Are They Reliable? is a good book to read about the reliability of the New Testament.

K. A. Kitchen's On The Reliability Of The Old Testament covers the Old Testament.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
When was the book of morman wrote? Do you believe everything in it?
It was written in 1811 by Solomon Spalding as a novel of historical fiction entitled A Manuscript Found. Spalding, a down-on-his-luck former minister, was referred to as "Old Come To Pass" because his book contained the phrase "And It Came To Pass" so many times. Not surprisingly, the 1830 Book of Mormon contained the phrase, "And It Came To Pass" more than 15 times as often as the entire 1611 King James Bible.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM

What I find interesting is that "evidence" and sources attributed to Alexander the Great are all generally accepted as good reliable sources.

Even so, some history may be written 200 years later, and other factors. So many things we as a general public accept as reasonable truth about the ancients are taken and never questioned or ridiculed like that of the Bible where people question how we can know the truth about it when it happened 2010 years ago!

So, with the Gospels we have numerous first hand witnesss reports, written from anything 30years to 100 years after Christs death which for this age is spectacuarly close.

And then you have this amazing thorough and precise man in Luke who goes to great trouble to seek out witnesses and double check. And you have the references of go speak to "blah bllah" son of "blah Blah" and he'll tell you he saw Jesus do this and so forth.

So for me, the Gospels in so many ways are reliable and true.

The stuff in red below is an answer from Mars Hill Theology to the question why does the OT/Bible have so much unscientific nonsense.

I think it deals well with the OT and how to take it sometimes if you have troubles with proof and so forth.

This question really makes no sense to me because the video does not specify under what grounds these things are supposed to be “unscientific.” The Bible – and the creation account in Genesis in particular – were never meant to be scientific records for us. They simply tell the story with only the details that God feels are important to us. We worship a God who is powerful enough to create simply by the power of His spoken word.

It is good to have faith and no need for proofs but it isnt a bad thing to seek and to question. Its a way to press in.

All by Gods Grace!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
When was the book of morman wrote? Do you believe everything in it?
I don't want to hijack the thread about mormonism when it is specifically about belief in the Bible. Also if you recall a few months back there was a big thread where I replied to alot of questions. To quickly answer your 2 questions, I believe the gospel teached in the book of mormon is true, and as far as when it was written would be different depending on your belief. As far as myself, most books in the Book of Mormon were written from 600 bc to 400 AD approximately, and then translated into English around 1830.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
The stuff in red below is an answer from Mars Hill Theology to the question why does the OT/Bible have so much unscientific nonsense.

I think it deals well with the OT and how to take it sometimes if you have troubles with proof and so forth.

This question really makes no sense to me because the video does not specify under what grounds these things are supposed to be “unscientific.” The Bible – and the creation account in Genesis in particular – were never meant to be scientific records for us. They simply tell the story with only the details that God feels are important to us. We worship a God who is powerful enough to create simply by the power of His spoken word.

It is good to have faith and no need for proofs but it isnt a bad thing to seek and to question. Its a way to press in.

All by Gods Grace!
This is the primary fallacy of modern thought: that anything and everything can be answered by science. Science, by definition, is the study of the natural world. In other words, the world that we can see, hear, touch, taste and smell at this very moment. Anything outside of our 5 senses and beyond our lifetimes is pseudo(false)-science.

GOD is a supernatural being who acts in supernatural ways with thoughts infinitely above our comprehension.

So why are people under this false assumption that science (a study that is strictly limited to natural phenomenon) can explain the supernatural?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
This is the primary fallacy of modern thought: that anything and everything can be answered by science. Science, by definition, is the study of the natural world. In other words, the world that we can see, hear, touch, taste and smell at this very moment. Anything outside of our 5 senses and beyond our lifetimes is pseudo(false)-science.

GOD is a supernatural being who acts in supernatural ways with thoughts infinitely above our comprehension.

So why are people under this false assumption that science (a study that is strictly limited to natural phenomenon) can explain the supernatural?
...or why do they feel it has too?

[
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread about mormonism when it is specifically about belief in the Bible. Also if you recall a few months back there was a big thread where I replied to alot of questions. To quickly answer your 2 questions, I believe the gospel teached in the book of mormon is true, and as far as when it was written would be different depending on your belief. As far as myself, most books in the Book of Mormon were written from 600 bc to 400 AD approximately, and then translated into English around 1830.
Eric would you PM me with why most Mormons do not believe the bible is infailabe and complete as is. I have never got a response from anyone I have asked this question. Thank you sir.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:

I quite agree. The fact is no science can be proven but our secular society is so willing to believe anything that is spouted off as fact by scientists such as the "big bang" and would call us ridicalous for questioning it.

I remember reading an article where it said "proper" scientists never make bold statements on global warming because they are always far from sure. Its just people looking for press who spout of theories as facts.

I miss the study of natural science in its old sense, i feel it has been somewhat hijacked.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
bradwright

i think the actual Question asked by Crisco was why do we believe...
well i personally think the answer to that question falls into 1 of three different possibilities depending on your own personal circumstances.

#1.you believe because you have unwavering faith that God exists even though you have no facts to back it up.

#2.you believe because something has happened in your life that left no doubt in your mind that God exists. ( thats me.)

#3.because you are so scared that there might actually be a hell that you are not going to take any chances just in case.

i sure hope you didn't nod your head when you read the third one.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
i think the actual Question asked by Crisco was why do we believe...
well i personally think the answer to that question falls into 1 of three different possibilities depending on your own personal circumstances.

#1.you believe because you have unwavering faith that God exists even though you have no facts to back it up.

#2.you believe because something has happened in your life that left no doubt in your mind that God exists. ( thats me.)

#3.because you are so scared that there might actually be a hell that you are not going to take any chances just in case.

i sure hope you didn't nod your head when you read the third one.
Hey my man, I originally fell into this category, I knew without doubt there was a god, a Jesus.

Yet i kept it entirely on my own terms, and to be honest made no attempt to read the only words and guidance professed and died for over 2000 years. Its kinda arrogant of me. And so, I started to read his words and now I 100% it to be his word.

I aint trying to call you out, or be mean or holy, I am still such a baby but i would just urge to keep persueing God if you have this faith in his existance.

He is wooing you!

Anyway, sorry if i offend by jumping on something that has no relation to you