Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
donaldbreland

[QUOTE]Historically many of the stories in the Bible can be proven to be true, but not everything(Creation,Jesus's Miracles). Historically speaking those can't be proven/QUOTE]

I think you are wrong on this. I think it is already proven because the Bible says it. If the Bible says it happened then it did. Do not question the book. A true Christian would never do that.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Miss Foxy

[QUOTE=donaldbreland;90365]
Quote:
Historically many of the stories in the Bible can be proven to be true, but not everything(Creation,Jesus's Miracles). Historically speaking those can't be proven/QUOTE]

I think you are wrong on this. I think it is already proven because the Bible says it. If the Bible says it happened then it did. Do not question the book. A true Christian would never do that.
And you wrote the bible? Who are you to say whether anyone is a "true CHristian" or not? Are you? I highly doubt it.. Relax.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 PM
eric84

Quote:
Historically many of the stories in the Bible can be proven to be true, but not everything(Creation,Jesus's Miracles). Historically speaking those can't be proven/QUOTE]

Maybe you misunderstood me, I never said they weren't true, I was just explaining that you don't come to know they are true through history. Jesus the man lived as history shows, but according to history he was just a man. As a "true christian" I know he was more than just a man, but I didn't come to know this through any amount of history.

As far as a true Christian never questioning the book, that kind of thinking to me seems fanatical. If your parents taught you never to question blowing up people, I guess you should never question it right? All of us need to find out on our own, and part of finding out is questioning. I think God wants us to ask questions so he can teach us, asking questions doesn't mean your doubting, but that your seeking God's mysteries.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Chuck

Quote:

A ridiculous statement without any merit at all. To not question something doesn't show or prove your faith... it simply illustrates blind faith which isn't any better than no faith.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Crisco

[QUOTE=Chuck;90379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post

A ridiculous statement without any merit at all. To not question something doesn't show or prove your faith... it simply illustrates blind faith which isn't any better than no faith.
Agree 100% Chuck.

Asking questions is required.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 AM
donaldbreland

The way I said that and what I mean came out completely wrong and for that I am sorry. I was in a rush and had to write fast so please forgive me. What I meant to say was that I believe if it's in the Bible than it has to be true. I was always told to not question the book but from time to time I can't help but to question it. I hear people all the time try and say that the Bible can't be real and that the Bible is a made up story. I just got baptized and I am learning as much as I can. I make mistakes everyday and admit that I do not lead the perfect life. I am trying each day to do better and hopefully I will become a better person. I do apologize for being in a rush earlier. I was not trying to say that you shouldn't question the Bible. I was always told not to growing up. I was always taught that if it's in the Bible than it is true. I feel that in no way should I question it even if I do have questions. I do believe that can be taken two different ways and a lot of southerners from South Carolina have took it the wrong way. I think what the statement do not question the Bible truly was supposed to mean was do not say that the Bible is a lie. Some people get that mixed up with wanting to know an answer about a question about the Bible. Again I apologize for the misunderstandment.

I will say this about y'all. I respect each and every one of you on this part of the site and look up to y'all for advice about the Bible. The only person I had to help me answer questions was my Dad. He's dead now so I no longer have him. So please try and correct me if I'm wrong I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Stump Rules!

I doubt that someone who truly believes in God "stops" when it's not convenient. I think they were "hoping" when in trouble then when that blows over they just go about their sinful, unbelieving lives.Just like people running around saying they are saved, they believe,even know some scripture, blah blah blah then go sleep with their boyfriend/girlfriends every night and everything else in their lives are me me me until things go bad then it's "God help me".It's ridiculous.Those people aren't really saved.
I guess that's what you said pretty much, at least the first part of your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
I think everyone knows that there is a God in Heaven. I think most who say they don't believe in God is just saying that because they are comfortable with their sinful lives and they look to not believing so they won't feel bad about the sinning they do. Most of the people who don't believe will not admit to any sin or wrong doing. I think people are scared of what God thinks about them while they are out shooting dope or robbing people so they block him out of their lives. The reason I believe this is because look at all the people in prison who all of the sudden find God in their life. Now they believe because they are guilty and the know that God will be there for them. So they basically turned to God when they need him and they do so in private. How many times have I heard someone say that they found God and how they changed then when they get out of jail they go back to not believing again. That is the devil taking control of their lives. It is the devil that is making all those who say they don't believe in God feel that way. I think most of the people who don't believe are just weaker people. That doesn't make them bad people but they are just weaker.

I gave my life to God on August 13th, 2009 and I will admit it has been a struggle. I expect that because I am weak and I am a sinner. I love God and I will never question the Bible. Never. I will never take away or add anything to the Holy Bible. I believe in the Bible because it's real. It's the most powerful story ever written. I love the Bible because it helps me understand God and helps me want to do right and do better and love my fellow brothers and sisters. My dad asked me a couple questions a few months before he passed away in July of 2008. He asked if I believed if I had the same powers that God gave Jesus? He asked me if I believed if I had the power to heal someone with cancer? He asked if I wanted to move a mountain could I? I answered no to all three. Little did I know or understand what God has in store for his children. In the bible it states that ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST. What does that mean to you? To me it means that I do have the same powers that God gave Jesus only if I believe that I am meant to do. It means that I do have the power through Christ to cure cancer and to move a mountain if it's in my way. All we have to do is believe in God and accept him in our hearts. We have to put him first. Even over our own children. We have to earn his trust and the only way to do so is by doing what is right and living our lives right by putting him first.

Last I want to leave you with this. I believe because I know it's true and I don't want any of the plagues God will put on you lol.

18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

20He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon."
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

21The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.

I am sorry for the long post. Just had to get it off my chest.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 AM
donaldbreland

I know for me before my dad passed away I had no clue as to what to do in life. I always believed in God but was to selfish to actually accept him and put him first. When I would go out drinking I would always have a good time and I have to admit the last thought on my mind was God. 2002 was the year I really noticed a change start happening in my life. At this point I was barely over 22 years of age and had already been to jail twice from drinking. The good thing was I never drove lol. I was always caught outside the bar raisin kane. On July 4 of 2002 I met my wife. It was on a beach on the Isle of Palms in South Carolina. A year and 2 days later we had our first kid. From that point on I stopped drinking and wanted better. So I started my own business but later found out that I was missing something in my life. See I had to Idea what life was about. My dad moved from here in 2001 and moved to Georgia. Mostly because of me. I was selfish, no good waste of nothing but lies and cheating. I was close to being an alcoholic but I didn't need the alcohol to live. I chose to do it because I felt cooler and I was hanging out with different girls and every weekend was a party. My dad got sick and tired of me and in one day he went from being my best friend to a dad and made me grow up. Little did I know I would find myself homeless. So it took me from April of 01 until July of 02 to straighten my life out. So I thought.

As I said before I had no idea what life was about and 8 years later I'm still trying to work on me. I went from 2001 until about may of 2003 without saying one word to my dad. My dad left South Carolina and was a racist and the most non Christian man I have ever met. In 2003 all I ever remembered was the way dad was. My first words to him was why in the G.D Heck is he calling me. I talked to him a few minutes and this man seemed different. He seemed more happy and didn't use any curse words when he spoke. I was wowed so much that I forgot about him leaving and leaving me homeless. Every other day for the next couple months my would always call me and only wanted to talk about the Bible and how I needed to find a church. My son was born in July and my dad came down to visit me in August. Little did I know that would be the last time I ever saw my dad alive. He held my son and to me that meant a lot. Still having dinner at Ruby Tuesdays all my dad wanted to do was talk about God and the Bible. He felt like it was the most important thing for me to do was to accept God in my life. To be honest at that point in life all I cared about was money. My business was starting to boom and I made excuse after excuse not to visit my dad. My dad lived in Albany Georgia which was 6 hours away from where I lived. I drove all the way to Orlando Florida and went to Sea World and didn't go see him like I planned. I always thought that he would be here and I questioned Gods power in my own mind. Like I said before I never got to see the man again.
In July 23rd 2008 my life would change forever. I was on the way to bid a job when I got a phone call from my sister saying daddy was dieing and to get there now. I got to Albany Georgia at 12:00 a.m exactly and seen my dad for the first time. I took my son and daughter in there and that was the first time the really seen their grand daddy. I always talked to my dad on the phone but I never actually paid attention to what he was saying. So I thought anyway. I did start to read the Bible but I was very unsuccessful at doing so Until July. Earlier that month is when I truly started to understand what he was saying. My dad that is. It all started coming together. I could sit and read and wanted to learn more. I was thirsty for the Bible. As I walked in to the lobby after seeing my dad I was amazed at how many people were there to see him before he died. My dad was in a coma and was on life support but at 12:00 in the morning the lobby had no room for other families. There were black people there for my dad which was weired. My dad in 2001 was a huge racist. He even marched for the Confederate flag when they wanted to take it down from the state capital. There was people from all ethnics there to see my dad pass. At that moment a calm feeling came over me. I wasn't crying or feeling bad for what happened but I felt good. People started coming to me and telling me what kind of an inspiration my dad was. I was truly amazed. I knew at that point I wanted to know more about God and Jesus and everything. I wanted to know all I could. My dad passed at 2:00 p.m on July 24 and had his service on July 26th. The service was at his church www.lcci.us in Albany Georgia. It was amazing. There were tons of people still coming up to me and offered hugs and again saying what kind of inspiration my dad was. I thought real hard about what to say because I knew people expected me to say something about him. So at that moment on July 26th 2008 I asked Jesus to forgive me of my sins. I asked the preacher to help me with the sinners prayer and at that moment everyone in the churched prayed it with me.
I thought because I was saved that my life would go by much smoother but it didn't. In order for me to truly get a grip on my life and put God first I had to delete what kept me from my family in the first place. My business and money. I sold my business for a little of nothing and starting learning me all over again. I wanted to know who I was and what I was about. I didn't know if I would like me but I soon found out that this person I found was who I really was. I didn't change from the outside, I changed from the inside. I started to love me. I started to love my family more and more each day. I started to put God first. On August 13th at 11:30 a.m I got baptized. It was the greatest moment in my life. For a split second I felt that my dad was proud of me. Not my earthly dad either. I felt God was happy. I felt as if Jesus was celebrating. I was a new Person. I started a new Business. Born Again Handyman Services. I am living a different life now than I was in May of 2008. I am not trying to be someone I'm not anymore. I finally am being who I am. To most of you on here I owe a lot of gratitude to you for your help along the way. Please continue to be there and help me stay on the right path. Thanks so much, God Bless, I love you and Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Stump Rules!

Happy New Year kid!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
I second this. I think there are two ways you can look at the Bible, historically, and spiritually. Historically many of the stories in the Bible can be proven to be true, but not everything(Creation,Jesus's Miracles). Historically speaking those can't be proven, and it's more important to rely on the spiritual validation of the scriptures. That is why it's not just a history book, but scripture. I really agree with the above quote, the world doesn't "see" it, but those who show their faith can "feel" it.
When was the book of morman wrote? Do you believe everything in it?