Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
Does anyone else feel is it far easier to believe in God then it is to believe in what others say about him?

That the existance of God and his presence in our lives is much easier to accept then it is to believe the bible to be his teachings?

It's a very deep question and while I don't question that the bible is our Gods instruction for living to us it is in my ultimate quest for knowledge of all things these types of questions come up in my mind often...

What is this book that I build my salvation upon. How did it come to be that my God ordained this to be his words to us.

It's extremely fascinating to me and it in no way puts me in a crisis of faith as I whole heartedly believe in God. My quest to better understand my relationship with him and to better understand all the tools he has given me for life.
Great questions and ones that must be asked of us all. I think even if I were not a Chistian I'd still believe in God and the bible because of the evidence. As for what others say about him well as long as what they say can be veriffied by scripture I can believe, but if it does not I reject it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
1)Yes, because many times I hear some Christian spouting an interpretation which I dont think is true

2) Not for me, because I am a Strict J. "GOD" as some globulous term is pretty useless to me, because it has no structure. What is nice about the Bible is it gives a framework to "GOD" he isnt just a "thing" he is a Person. He therefore has likes and dislikes, he has desires. These are taxanomical structures that you can use as a basis for a paradigm. That is very useful to me. an undefined GOD to me, is almost worse then no GOD at all...because I cant deal with chaos

3) Words are important. The fascinating thing about the creation story is that it says that GOD basically used Words to construct everything you see today. He spoke, and that breathed life into whatever it was he was calling.

I want you to listen to this piece of music...because for me it captures that vision. the piece begins with a solitary motif, quiet, unassuming...and the other instruments begin by embelishing the tune, and then one by one more instruments are added each with their own Motifs all playing over the top of one another When I close my eyes, I imagine that Basson as the voice of GOD, eminating from the Spirit that is hovering over a void...and the other Motifs seem to appear almost out of and as a response to that Basson...some are light like Birds...some are jagged like large Volcano...and finally, there is a loud Trumpet...possibly, the Creation of Man. Maybe I just have a wild imagination Let me know what you think of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHMpYsv0_0
Lovely music Dave. Intriguing.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
Lovely music Dave. Intriguing.
thanks Crisco...that whole piece, (the video shows the first of four or five sections) is music which I can relate to periods within Scriptural History...I dont know if it was written for that purpose...but I have a wild imagination, and for some reason that piece really brings it out in me.

I think there is something in Words Crisco...if we are made in the image of GOD, and we can speak...and when GOD spoke, things were created, then I wonder how much power there is in our own Words...I wonder how much we say might have power, over us...or over others, or against forces in the spiritual war.

Remember the Bible is known as "The Word" but actually Christ is also known as "The Word" Its a living personification in many ways is it not...because the Bible pretty much lays out the whole of History...and Jesus during his Incarnation was the key between the "before" and "After" part of History

History itself is a work of art, a Creation...and GOD speaks Creation. So perhaps that is also why the Bible is called "Word" because it has the power to create...I think Saint Paul would call it "Transform" but its the same sort of thing. Dwelling on Scripture, is...possibly, a bit like standing infront of the Mouth piece of GOD...and every time he speaks...something happens...perhaps that is how your relationship grows...you need to be "spoken" to, and its Jesus (the Word) through the Bible (The Word) that actually transforms.

More upon...I suspect its supposed to be read allowed. That way the Words become physically spoken to. When you read something outloud, you have to take it slower then when you read in your head. You cant skim read when you have to speak what you are reading.

I'm just throwing out ideas...its not something I have ever spent very long thinking about...except to say that speech in terms of a noise is something picked up in one of the Polythestic Religions that claim the Aum is like the foundation of some kinda spiritual riverberations...Imagine, an Echo of GODs voice bouncing around still...and Science to has whispered about the fact that particals even tiny ones vibrate...as if to some sort of harmonic. Both of those could be aspects of lost truth...they might be like quartz that needs refining to equate to the Scriptures...but its funny isnt it that even some secular stories...or heretical religions...stumble upon GOD IN creation...quite litterally...perhaps also his sustaining power is not so much a force...as a voice, or a sound? perhaps he litterally IS in Creation
Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Robertboxerboy

For awhile i denied god, i didnt think he could be real, we can't physically see him, we can't hear him. How could he be real? But then for some reason one day i just stopped and looked around. Things were going way too good down here for there NOT to be a higher power. And also, when something goes wrong, I have a cross necklace that hold onto and pray too, and it works, it comforts me, makes me think everything is alright. Thats why I think people like me, believe
Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertboxerboy View Post
For awhile i denied god, i didnt think he could be real, we can't physically see him, we can't hear him. How could he be real? But then for some reason one day i just stopped and looked around. Things were going way too good down here for there NOT to be a higher power. And also, when something goes wrong, I have a cross necklace that hold onto and pray too, and it works, it comforts me, makes me think everything is alright. Thats why I think people like me, believe
Sadly, there are a lot of people out there who think like this. It's like they are sitting on the fence, "maybe he's real", or they have no trouble "believing" when bad things happen, "God, why did you let this happen?"

He gives us a choice to choose. He wants us to choose Him.

You know what gives me comfort, Robert....is that GOD sees everything and knows everything. We cannot hide from Him.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Miss Foxy

Belief is like the wind you can't see it, but you can feel it...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwBvyXPoojE
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I cannot even check out your link my work has everything blocked!!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 PM
donaldbreland

I think everyone knows that there is a God in Heaven. I think most who say they don't believe in God is just saying that because they are comfortable with their sinful lives and they look to not believing so they won't feel bad about the sinning they do. Most of the people who don't believe will not admit to any sin or wrong doing. I think people are scared of what God thinks about them while they are out shooting dope or robbing people so they block him out of their lives. The reason I believe this is because look at all the people in prison who all of the sudden find God in their life. Now they believe because they are guilty and the know that God will be there for them. So they basically turned to God when they need him and they do so in private. How many times have I heard someone say that they found God and how they changed then when they get out of jail they go back to not believing again. That is the devil taking control of their lives. It is the devil that is making all those who say they don't believe in God feel that way. I think most of the people who don't believe are just weaker people. That doesn't make them bad people but they are just weaker.

I gave my life to God on August 13th, 2009 and I will admit it has been a struggle. I expect that because I am weak and I am a sinner. I love God and I will never question the Bible. Never. I will never take away or add anything to the Holy Bible. I believe in the Bible because it's real. It's the most powerful story ever written. I love the Bible because it helps me understand God and helps me want to do right and do better and love my fellow brothers and sisters. My dad asked me a couple questions a few months before he passed away in July of 2008. He asked if I believed if I had the same powers that God gave Jesus? He asked me if I believed if I had the power to heal someone with cancer? He asked if I wanted to move a mountain could I? I answered no to all three. Little did I know or understand what God has in store for his children. In the bible it states that ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST. What does that mean to you? To me it means that I do have the same powers that God gave Jesus only if I believe that I am meant to do. It means that I do have the power through Christ to cure cancer and to move a mountain if it's in my way. All we have to do is believe in God and accept him in our hearts. We have to put him first. Even over our own children. We have to earn his trust and the only way to do so is by doing what is right and living our lives right by putting him first.

Last I want to leave you with this. I believe because I know it's true and I don't want any of the plagues God will put on you lol.

18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

20He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon."
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

21The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.

I am sorry for the long post. Just had to get it off my chest.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I second this. I think there are two ways you can look at the Bible, historically, and spiritually. Historically many of the stories in the Bible can be proven to be true, but not everything(Creation,Jesus's Miracles). Historically speaking those can't be proven, and it's more important to rely on the spiritual validation of the scriptures. That is why it's not just a history book, but scripture. I really agree with the above quote, the world doesn't "see" it, but those who show their faith can "feel" it.