Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Crisco

Default Why do we believe...

That the bible in the infallable word of God?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Because historical records prove that it is the most reliable ancient document in human history.

It passes the test of historicity in that there is evidence that most of the books were written within the lifespans of living eyewitnesses to the actual events. In other words, when most of these books were originally written you could actually check their stories against the accounts of people who were alive to witness those events themselves.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 PM
billwilliams70

There's a song by Dustin Kensrue (of Thrice) called "I Believe"....great lyrics:

Seen your face in every child that smiles,
but I can't help but rejoice.
And I've heard what some called thunder,
but I knew it was your voice.
Touched the holes in your calloused hands,
stuck my fingers in your side.
oh I was six-feet-deep in doubt but
now I'm sure that you're alive

And it's safe to say we'll never know everything still blessings we receive.
And it’s safe to say I really don't know a thing,
still I choose to believe.

Smelt the scent of angel sweet floating in the summer air.
I have breathed in deep the incense,
while the saints send up their prayers.

I have tasted now I see
oh I see that you are good.
And I have ate your perfect body,
and I have drank your blessed blood

And all the answers that I find,
only take me so far down the line.
The tracks always give out
yeah it's a leap from the lions mouth.

Later.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Because historical records prove that it is the most reliable ancient document in human history.

It passes the test of historicity in that there is evidence that most of the books were written within the lifespans of living eyewitnesses to the actual events. In other words, when most of these books were originally written you could actually check their stories against the accounts of people who were alive to witness those events themselves.
But just because it is historically accurate why do we believe it is the written word of God...? If a council of men who did not actually write the book or know Christ decided what was and wasn't cannonical.

This subject interests me greatly as I love to learn more about my faith everyday and to really understand the way we are o view life.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
But just because it is historically accurate why do we believe it is the written word of God...? If a council of men who did not actually write the book or know Christ decided what was and wasn't cannonical.

This subject interests me greatly as I love to learn more about my faith everyday and to really understand the way we are o view life.
It is the foundation of faith. Either it si true or it is not. If it is not the infailable word of God we have faith in a lie and do so in vain. As Nate said it has proven true time and again. It is the last thing we should struggle with. What gets screwed up is mans interpertation of His Word. This is the biggest reaon I always demand book chapter and verse in context.

Great question and I pray you find the peace about it you desire.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:26 PM

A book that tackles this questions quite wonderfully, is the "case for Christ" by Lee Strobel.

As well as the Bible being historically pretty sound, there are other factors that for me pour into it.

Look at how many witnesses there are, and in the Bible they are refernced, so Luke will tell us, go ask "blah blah" son of "blah blah", he'll tell you.

Look at how Paul, Peter, John and numerous others all willingly took horrible grizzily deaths for the glory of God.

Why did so many people believe eve though it was in no way expedient to do.

The fact that if it had been tampered with, surely Peter as leader of the church would have taken out the part where Jesus calls him a Devil. The fact that it is women who find that Jesus has been resurrected, when there testimony wasn't even considered legal, so if the bible was trying to win people over on lies it would have said men found it.

Also, you notice that whilst the Jewish faith rejects Jesus as the Messiah, there are certain points and areguements the Jews do not make against christianity which they would of had it not been true ( i can't think of specific examples)

There of course is plenty more and of course more eloquently explained and detailed. But there are so many reasons.

And lastly its just faith, essentially thats alll we have and praise the Lord that in his grace we are able to know him.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Crisco

Thank you all for your responses they have been very helpful.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me I don't mean to say the bible is not the word of God I merely seek to better understand why we believe it is.

It's nice to know to some degree that your faith is infact well placed and not as misguided as all the others.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
That the bible in the infallable word of God?
Well there are two themes of theology on this. The first is that the Bible is the exact GOD breathed Text...the other is that its GOD inspired.

Whatever, the Bible makes some pretty bold statements and promises. Enough so that you can say on most issues, its either correct, or its not. Understood properly, its not a pick and mix selection box...you cant really believe one portion without logically believing the whole.

I believe it, because I know its the Truth, its been told to me, i've read it, i've matched it up with experiences, i've weighed up what moral points it makes, and I decided that its either True or False...As I believe its True, then that is pretty much the answer

I believe because I have Faith
Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Crisco

Does anyone else feel is it far easier to believe in God then it is to believe in what others say about him?

That the existance of God and his presence in our lives is much easier to accept then it is to believe the bible to be his teachings?

It's a very deep question and while I don't question that the bible is our Gods instruction for living to us it is in my ultimate quest for knowledge of all things these types of questions come up in my mind often...

What is this book that I build my salvation upon. How did it come to be that my God ordained this to be his words to us.

It's extremely fascinating to me and it in no way puts me in a crisis of faith as I whole heartedly believe in God. My quest to better understand my relationship with him and to better understand all the tools he has given me for life.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
1) Does anyone else feel is it far easier to believe in God then it is to believe in what others say about him?

2) That the existance of God and his presence in our lives is much easier to accept then it is to believe the bible to be his teachings?

It's a very deep question and while I don't question that the bible is our Gods instruction for living to us it is in my ultimate quest for knowledge of all things these types of questions come up in my mind often...

4) What is this book that I build my salvation upon. How did it come to be that my God ordained this to be his words to us.

It's extremely fascinating to me and it in no way puts me in a crisis of faith as I whole heartedly believe in God. My quest to better understand my relationship with him and to better understand all the tools he has given me for life.
1)Yes, because many times I hear some Christian spouting an interpretation which I dont think is true

2) Not for me, because I am a Strict J. "GOD" as some globulous term is pretty useless to me, because it has no structure. What is nice about the Bible is it gives a framework to "GOD" he isnt just a "thing" he is a Person. He therefore has likes and dislikes, he has desires. These are taxanomical structures that you can use as a basis for a paradigm. That is very useful to me. an undefined GOD to me, is almost worse then no GOD at all...because I cant deal with chaos

3) Words are important. The fascinating thing about the creation story is that it says that GOD basically used Words to construct everything you see today. He spoke, and that breathed life into whatever it was he was calling.

I want you to listen to this piece of music...because for me it captures that vision. the piece begins with a solitary motif, quiet, unassuming...and the other instruments begin by embelishing the tune, and then one by one more instruments are added each with their own Motifs all playing over the top of one another When I close my eyes, I imagine that Basson as the voice of GOD, eminating from the Spirit that is hovering over a void...and the other Motifs seem to appear almost out of and as a response to that Basson...some are light like Birds...some are jagged like large Volcano...and finally, there is a loud Trumpet...possibly, the Creation of Man. Maybe I just have a wild imagination Let me know what you think of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHMpYsv0_0