Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Believers, nonbelievers or both?
If I had to answer that question I would say both. I am a believer, but would that be the reason a nonbeliever should be welcome, to become a believer, to learn about God and make the leap from NB to believer. As Boomer points out,"to stregthens each others faith to go out into the world to function as Christians at whatever God has put before us.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Chris F

I think Boomer said it best. This is why it baffles me that people think inviting one to church is how they get saved. Sadly we've dumbed church down to make it more consumer friendly for the unbelievers. It is a place to be equipped for the ministry which is our daily lives.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 AM
que

since church is a manmade institution i think it is up to us to decide. i don't think there is one set of universal rules on this because each church is different, and there are so so many different churches. it should be left up to the pastor and elders

but as we all know when Jesus gave his sermons on top the hills during his time on earth to teach about God he did it for everyone, believers and nonbelievers alike.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
since church is a manmade institution i think it is up to us to decide. i don't think there is one set of universal rules on this because each church is different, and there are so so many different churches. it should be left up to the pastor and elders

but as we all know when Jesus gave his sermons on top the hills during his time on earth to teach about God he did it for everyone, believers and nonbelievers alike.
Actually, Jesus' messages were primarily directed at the Israelites. The very people who worshipped in the Temple and had studied the Torah their entire lives.

The same terms "congregation" and "assembly" were used in the Old Testament to describe the people of Israel. So, you could actually say that Jesus was speaking to the "church" of Israel first and foremost, when He talked. I think Paul understood this when he stated that the Gospel was for the "Jew first."

There is no linguistic distinction in the Bible between the "church" and the nation of Israel. The word "church" was added into the Bible, centuries after it was originally written, to create an artificial, man-made barrier between Jews and Christians. That was never GOD's intention.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 AM

Well church in the way we see it (services on sunday etc), should be welcome to everyone, believers and non believers.

The moment you exclude people from coming in, then you become isolated, out of touch, aloof, arrogant and most sadly Prideful.

That is not what the Gospel teaches us. The door is open to all, whatever leaning they may be because we want to show them the Gospel, we want them to believe in our saviour.

It is my firm belief that the church, and we as a christian body have a duty to immerse ourselves in society and try to build up, and show in our example God working in our lives and how it is the most joyous place to be.

Non-believers won't be members until they become believers.

I am going to try and get the scripture from the OT that tells us that really whilst the way we live our lives sets us apart, we become wholly involved in trying to build up the City, places that we live in. Like the exiled Jews in Bablyon were.

I shall try to find this part for you guys
Old 12-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Believers, nonbelievers or both?
Both.

non rambling enough for ya
Old 12-23-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Both.

non rambling enough for ya

I agree with you, Dave

to me, it would be like only letting people fluent in Spanish, take a class in Spanish language. by attending, they are only going to learn more. Those who are already fluent will only strengthen their skills, and will also be able to guid their brothers and sister, and those who have never spoken a word of Spanish will only gain knowledge.

[
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
rearnakedchoke

so there are non-believers and believers, but what about believers, who think they are believers, but don't live like believers, so in essence, they are non-believers?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
so there are non-believers and believers, but what about believers, who think they are believers, but don't live like believers, so in essence, they are non-believers?
Well, those would most likely be non-believers or false believers. Remember the passage about GOD separating the sheep from the goats? (Matthew 25:31-46) Well the false believers in the church are the goats that those verses are talking about and they will be separated from the true believers and cast into Hell.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Do they believe that they are believers or do they without question believe in Christ? I think that is the difference.

[