Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Primadawn

When I was about 8 or 9, some other toy company put out a line of dolls to compete with Barbie. The main doll's name was Starr and she had blonde curly hair--she also had friends--they were in high school and the boxes that they came in turned into lockers! I asked for Starr for my birthday (in November) and was sooooo upset that I didn't get her.
So on Christmas morning, I was uber-excited when I opened my first gift and it was HER!!! silver-metallic hotpants and all!

http://365vintage.blogspot.com/2008/...by-mattel.html

oooohhh...now that I read that, it was actually mattel, the same company that makes barbie that put this doll out. weird.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Silverback

When I was about 5 or 6 my brothers and I was lucky enough to get Tonka equipment, I got the big metal dump truck and we played with them forever. They don"t make toys like that no more. Not only was they fun to play with, but I could bust my brother's in the head with the truck and make my point! (Hope Santa didn't here that).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tonka.jpg (11.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
When I was about 5 or 6 my brothers and I was lucky enough to get Tonka equipment, I got the big metal dump truck and we played with them forever. They don"t make toys like that no more. Not only was they fun to play with, but I could bust my brother's in the head with the truck and make my point! (Hope Santa didn't here that).
Tonka trucks are plastic now. I remember the old metal ones that were like a foot tall.

My favorite toy every year was a big wheel or bike. I liked to travel even as a child. I wore the tires off of my big wheels I rode them so much.

~Amy
Old 12-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Anything star wars. one year I got the Hoth playset with turret and I think I got the most playtime out of that one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-STAR-WAR...item4a9d1ac1fe
also the Dagobah playset. I chose this link because anyone who owned this playset experienced the same thing. after many year the foam in the little quicksand section disintegrated.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-STAR-WARS-E...item3357b816de

I got a lot of farm toys too. loved my combine and auger wagon with working wheel on the side to open the chute. Tonka trucks were big for me too.

[
Old 12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Tonka trucks are plastic now. I remember the old metal ones that were like a foot tall.

My favorite toy every year was a big wheel or bike. I liked to travel even as a child. I wore the tires off of my big wheels I rode them so much.

~Amy

Loved bigwheels. Got pulled over at the age of 4 by the cops with an open beer on my bigwheel . Honest to God story.

Mothers Day , 1984 . I wanted to ride the block and a half down to the corner grocery store to get mom some flowers. I didnt know beer from soda pop , if it was in a can in the fridge it must be soda . So i grabbed a busch and headed out on my bigwheel down sixth street. With 3 sisters and 1 brother it was tough to keep an eye on all of us at the same time . My mom was haning clothes on the line in the back yard and saw cop lights flashing going very slow down 6th street . She stepped out of the back yard to see what it was and here i came around the corner on my bigwheel , flowers for my mom laid across my lap and an ice cold busch in my hand . Apparently i had stolen the flowers as well, thatll teach em to leave em on a rack outside. Mom said the police officer was laughing so hard he was crying . Ahh the benefits of growing up in a small town.

Last edited by Mac; 12-19-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Loved bigwheels. Got pulled over at the age of 4 by the cops with an open beer on my bigwheel . Honest to God story.

You know you're a Redneck when....

~Amy
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
You know you're a Redneck when....

~Amy
i went ahead and edited in the full story lol . Figured i couldnt spit that one out without explaining.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Mothers Day , 1984 . I wanted to ride the block and a half down to the corner grocery store to get mom some flowers. I didnt know beer from soda pop , if it was in a can in the fridge it must be soda . So i grabbed a busch and headed out on my bigwheel down sixth street. With 3 sisters and 1 brother it was tough to keep an eye on all of us at the same time . My mom was haning clothes on the line in the back yard and saw cop lights flashing going very slow down 6th street . She stepped out of the back yard to see what it was and here i came around the corner on my bigwheel , flowers for my mom laid across my lap and an ice cold busch in my hand . Apparently i had stolen the flowers as well, thatll teach em to leave em on a rack outside. Mom said the police officer was laughing so hard he was crying . Ahh the benefits of growing up in a small town.

Too bad they didn't have dash video cams back then, Mac. You might have ended up on one those police show's funniest videos.

"Bad boy, bad boy, whatcha gonna do; Whatcha gonna do when they come for you..."

But, that was sweet of you to get your mom flowers....and a Mother's Day she'll never forget.

Last edited by Bonnie; 12-19-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Silverback

Quote:

And the funny part is I can picture that and with you it has to be a true story,(well not really but who could make up something like that) I thought I was a joker when I was a kid. I look back and wonder how we made it thru some of the stuff we did.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Preach

hhhhmmmm fav present would probably be my first Pitbull.........

No really it would be my first shotgun a single shot 20 ga that was taller than me