Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Oddtodd76

you need crops. and you need protection of your crops. the "bubba effect" comes into play.
You need fruit and nut trees, chickens & whatever small animals (rabbits,etc). chickens are real easy to take care of. And then you need a vege garden.
And protect it from others trying to get to the veges.
In hard times, people will do whatever it takes to survive.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Oddtodd76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
If I could find a good recipe for cooking squirrel, I'd be set.
crockpot & bbq sauce.
put on bun!

mmm mmm good
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddtodd76 View Post
crockpot & bbq sauce.
put on bun!

mmm mmm good
Bingo .

Or there is always fried squirrel and squirrel gravy. Santa got Boone a 22 rifle for Christmas , a vintage mossberg and sons . Its his first gun so Nate im sure there is going to be plenty of squirrel for you to try lol.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Oddtodd76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Bingo .

Or there is always fried squirrel and squirrel gravy. Santa got Boone a 22 rifle for Christmas , a vintage mossberg and sons . Its his first gun so Nate im sure there is going to be plenty of squirrel for you to try lol.
yeah...all you have to do is act like you are deer hunting...then there will be squirrels everywhere! Don't act like you are hunting squirrels or they will hide!
(at least that is my take)
I love those fuzzy tailed tree rats!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any guns at the moment but all I have to do is make it up into the mountains where my parents are and I'm set. They have a big garden and plenty of game around. Their house is built halfway underground so is very protected from the elements. I have the skills to survive, just not all of the gear.

My dad always believed we should be prepared for a major war on American soil and wanted us to always have a plan. I can hit what I'm aiming for and can build small game traps. I know how to clean and cook anything I kill/catch. There is a huge chicken farm that their only neighbors run so we're set with eggs and chicken meat. And being a nurse, I would be in demand for medical care and could barter my services as needed or gain entry into a stronghold.

~Amy
Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

And squirrel at my house growing up was always fried in bacon grease or wrapped in bacon and roasted on a spit if we were camping. We'd wrap potatoes in tin foil and bury them under the fire and pull them out when the meat was done. Yum. I've had squirrel stew but prefer rabbit for that.

~Amy
Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Oddtodd76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post

I know how to clean and cook anything I kill/catch.

~Amy
I have some single friends that would die to meet you!
HAHAHAHA
Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddtodd76 View Post
I have some single friends that would die to meet you!
HAHAHAHA

~Amy
Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 PM

I think preparation can be categorized in degrees.

For example, there is preparation for the possible personal catastrophes of life: fire in your house, burglary of your house, mugging, personal health crisis. Preparation for this would include: insurance, smoke alarms, burglar alarm, firearm & firearm safety training, preventative health care, childproofing your home, etc. My preparation is good but not excellent. I need to take better care of myself and take some martial arts training; however, I have the basics covered.

Another category of disaster would be a short term disaster, like a lose of power for several days due to a storm. Preparation would include: Flashlights, batteries, back-up heat/cooling source, back-up generator, water and food for 3 days, etc. My preparation is good but not excellent. I don't want to shell out $1,000 for a generator.

The next degree of disaster would be a medium-term disaster with paralysis of civilization. I am thinking of something like Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, LA riots. A major event that ties up police and relief agencies for weeks. In this situation, you can't count on the police, rescue, grocery stores, gas stations. Duration is about a week to a month. Preparation would include: firearm or other personal protection, provisions for weeks, gas, medication, first-aid supplies, cash, etc. My preparation is fair. I could make it but it would be uncomfortable.

Worst case scenario would be a total break-down of civilization. For example, following a nuclear or biological attack. Preparation would include: long-term independent food source, contacts or skills to replace the needs usually supplied by society, personal protection, etc. My preparation for this scenario is poor. In my own cost/likelihood calculation, I think this scenario is unlikely and would require costly, impractical changes in my life for preparation. I guess if this happens, I will be one of the zombie horde scavenging roadkill or braving Mac's shotgun fire trying to pilfer acorns from his property. Maybe I would show up at the Hughes farm and offer to be a serf in exchange for a couple ears of corn and a piece of gristle to gnaw on.

The older I get, the more I think any of these things could happen. I thought the whole Y2K scare was a joke and didn't do any preparation. Since then, there has been 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and an economic melt-down. I'm not going to sell everything and move to some compound; however, I will keep preparing for serious events that could disrupt civilization for several weeks.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
actually i have given thought to that a bit . I thought what would be better , growing your food or shooting it ?

I honestly feel shooting it is your best path . If you take down one deer your family can live off of that for quite a while , but with a garden you will constantly be having to gaurd it and you will need something to eat untill it ripens. Im not sure where you live josh but the deer population in this area anyways is huge . And that doesnt include other game which granted is not so ubundant like rabbits , quail etc. But when it gets right down to the nitty gritty there is a huge abundance of coons and other things. Ive never ate a coon , but i do know folks who have and they have said it isnt bad at all . Then there is always fish . there is a creek right back in behind the house and a huge lake and river. All you need is a float boat and a generator/welder , dfire it up and drop the leads in the water and youll have enough fish for a year with 30 minutes worth of fishing.
Yeah where I live although it is rural is somewhat sparse for deer. Most hunters I know get one or two deer a season at most. Granted in a survival scenario you would hunt year round and would not wait for them to be a certain size. Depending on the disaster there may not be much wildlife left either. A lot of preparedness people really stress having small animals like Todd mentioned. That is not an option for me right now.