Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Stump Rules!

Default Oral Roberts Passes

http://www.examiner.com/x-27339-Cinc...-the-age-of-91

CNN News reported on the story that a spokesperson for the family of Oral Roberts made the announcement of the evangelist's passing earlier today ,stating that Oral Roberts died from complications of pneumonia following being hospitalized after a fall on Saturday in a Newport Beach California hospital.

Robert's had some previous health problems ,suffering from two heart attacks in the 1990's and a broken hip in 2006.

Oral Roberts' began his television career in 1955 after resigning from his pastoral ministry back 1947. He then began conducting evangelistic and faith healing crusades across the United States, with thousands of followers waiting in lines to await Oral Roberts to pray for them.

Roberts was proceeded in death by his daughter who tragically was killed along with her husband in a plane crash in 1977, followed by his son Ronald who was sadly reported to have committed suicide later in 1982,and later by his wife of 66 years Evelyn who passed away at the age of 88.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Hughes fanboy

Hmmm...I don't know that much about the man...was he the one who was crying on TV and saying that God would "take him home" if viewers didn't send him a million dollars or something? That may have been someone else?

Either way I hope he was saved before he died.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Hmmm...I don't know that much about the man...was he the one who was crying on TV and saying that God would "take him home" if viewers didn't send him a million dollars or something? That may have been someone else?

I thought it was..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Roberts

In January 1987, during a fundraising drive, Roberts announced to a television audience that unless he raised $8 million by that March, God would "call him home."[13][14] Some were fearful that he was referring to suicide, given the impassioned pleas and tears that accompanied his statement. He raised $9.1 million.[15] Later that year, he announced that God had raised the dead through Roberts' ministry.[16] Some of Roberts' fundraising letters were written by Gene Ewing, who heads a business writing donation letters for other evangelicals such as Don Stewart and Robert Tilton.[17]

To quote Bono from U2.. and I loath him..

"The God I believe in isn't short of cash mister.."
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Chris F

He was one of the fathers of the Greed Gospel. Early in his ministry he was very solid theologically. About the time televangelism exploded he fell of the wagon and became a prosperity pimp. One good thing is he did nto teach the Jesus died spiritually heresey like Hagin, Copeland, and the like. Just a couple of weeks ago another mega church prosperity pastor passed here in Tulsa as well.(Billy Joe Daugherty). I also hope they made things right and rejected their man made doctrines and bowed to Jesus and the cross.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

i've never heard of him.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM
cubsfan47

I used to live in Tulsa.

In front of the "prayer tower" on the ORU campus was a giant sculpture of folding praying hands. The local joke was that if you watched long enough one of the hands would morph into an outstretched palm.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 PM

I forget who it was that said this but a great thinker writes about how absurd it is people who climb the ladder in the clergy or whatever in the church is truly thinking if they do it with wrong hearts.

Like Dude, everyone on earth thinks your holy and you made it to the top but you dont fool God!

Aint sayiny this is the case here but just an observation.

I am sorry to hear the passing of this guy though

God Bless
Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Hughes fanboy

Interesting thing is the WORD OF GOD SHALL NOT RETURN VOID.

That is to say, no matter WHO speaks it, even a heretic (not saying Oral was at the time of his death)...

So, the power of God's Word was spoken through the voice of this man...interesting....

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Stump Rules!

Yeah....and look what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 AM
cubsfan47

Oral Roberts was in fact the very first "televangelist." I believe he started broadcasting in 1954; before that he traveled around holding tent revivals.

There is no doubt that he led many people to the Lord. Some of the other stuff he has done may have been harmful. But it isn't my job to weigh them in the balance.