Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Administrator

I had a friend in the Army who was a big fan of pit bulls and he had one as a pet the entire time I knew him. Probably one of the nicest and friendliest dogs I had ever seen. Of course, there was that one instance where he attacked the neighbor kid and practically disemboweled the boy and my friend was forced to have him put down; but up until that point he was the perfect dog.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 PM
DonnaMaria

Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 PM
bradwright

a number of years ago i was friends with a girl that had an Uncle with a Pit Bull and every time she would visit him the dog was always as friendly as could be...i use to tell her to be very carefull around that dog but she said he was just a big softie and there was nothing to worry about...well one day she went over to her Uncles place and stopped to pet the dog for a few minutes like she had done so many times before and the dog attacked her and knocked her to the ground...it took her Uncle several blows with a baseball bat to get the dog off but not before half of her face was ripped off.... ever since then she has a huge scar that go's from the top of her head and down the middle of her face to below her chin....she was lucky though....she still has her eyes...yup... Pit Bulls make good pets alright.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I had a friend in the Army who was a big fan of pit bulls and he had one as a pet the entire time I knew him. Probably one of the nicest and friendliest dogs I had ever seen. Of course, there was that one instance where he attacked the neighbor kid and practically disemboweled the boy and my friend was forced to have him put down; but up until that point he was the perfect dog.
did that really happen?

I know Pits have been known to do that, but you said it so nonchalantly
Old 12-16-2009, 02:58 AM
Stump Rules!

Pit bulls need love to

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 12-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
did that really happen?

I know Pits have been known to do that, but you said it so nonchalantly
Yes, it really happened and my 'nonchalant-ness" was intentional.

The kid was a bloody mess after my friend pulled the pit bull off of him. He ultimately didn't have any major injuries, but not because the dog was exercising self-control by any means.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 AM
billwilliams70

I understand the whole "bred into the breed" theory that mac has and the comparison to a pointer that can point at 9 weeks old....because that behavior is bred into it. But I do want to say this. If dogs aren't brought up in an environment where their "bred into" instincts aren't fostered, they tend to become a diminished tendency of the breed.

Do people that own Dalmations have to control their dogs when fire trucks drive by?

While I agree that the pit bull breed is an aggressive breed, I also believe that it's a special breed that should be raised by people that have the ability to raise a dog the right way, the dog shouldn't be treated as if it's a Golden Retriever.

Later.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:38 AM

I agree with Bill.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Do people that own Dalmations have to control their dogs when fire trucks drive by?

Later.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 AM
cheachea

Pits are great dogs, if properly trained and have a good owner but they are not for everyone. They are very loyal to there owners and usually pick up on the personality of the owners. Alot of Scuzzy people own pitbulls, so naturally the pitbull is going to adapt to it's surroundings. I got to admit that some are just bad apples but that doesn't mean every single pit is bad period.
I really like american bulldogs because they have the muscle like a pit but they are not as scary looking.