Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Mac

Default Got an hour and a half to kill ? Rare Movie.

I just found this movie on youtube broke down into parts.
It is one of my all time favorites , but honestly , 8 out of 10 people wont get it and when the credits role will think " Huh?"

Its a car guy movie , but it is also a fairly artsy film for the time .

It stars folk singer James Taylor and beach boy Dennis Wilson in thier only acting rolls ever , as well as Warren Oates. It is a Monte Hellman film , and is about as stripped down and raw as a movie can get. The story line is simple and the dialouge is almost non existant . It simply follows two men , Dennis wilson " the mechanic" and James Taylor " the driver as they travel the country in a stripped down shelled out big block powered 55 chevy , they pick up " the Girl" Laurie bird along the way . Then come across " G.T.O." Warren Oates and end up racing cross country for pink slips . As the NY Times said , if you are worried about who wins the race then you probably wont like the movie.

Ill start you off with part one . Part 2 and so on are pretty easy to find on youtube after this , Dont start watching it expecting some action packed fast and the furious style racing , I think the film was made in 1970-71

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZez1NS7Ptk
Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I just found this movie on youtube broke down into parts.
It is one of my all time favorites , but honestly , 8 out of 10 people wont get it and when the credits role will think " Huh?"

Its a car guy movie , but it is also a fairly artsy film for the time .

It stars folk singer James Taylor and beach boy Dennis Wilson in thier only acting rolls ever , as well as Warren Oates. It is a Monte Hellman film , and is about as stripped down and raw as a movie can get. The story line is simple and the dialouge is almost non existant . It simply follows two men , Dennis wilson " the mechanic" and James Taylor " the driver as they travel the country in a stripped down shelled out big block powered 55 chevy , they pick up " the Girl" Laurie bird along the way . Then come across " G.T.O." Warren Oates and end up racing cross country for pink slips . As the NY Times said , if you are worried about who wins the race then you probably wont like the movie.

Ill start you off with part one . Part 2 and so on are pretty easy to find on youtube after this , Dont start watching it expecting some action packed fast and the furious style racing , I think the film was made in 1970-71

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZez1NS7Ptk
watched it on TV in the mid 70s...its really not a bad film at all....although i have to admit the big attraction for me was the 55....it was a nice car.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
watched it on TV in the mid 70s...its really not a bad film at all....although i have to admit the big attraction for me was the 55....it was a nice car.
Yeah .. Me to

Little known fact about that car , or "Cars"

In the first part when they pull into the gas station , a man walks out after they tilt the front end and says " Sure looks like alot of work" That mans name is Richard Ruth , and he should know , he built all 3 of the 55 chevys used for the film . 2 of them moved on and were used in American Graffitti as bob falfas 55. 2 if them were 454's , the car used in the race scenes had an L-88 427
Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Yeah .. Me to

Little known fact about that car , or "Cars"

In the first part when they pull into the gas station , a man walks out after they tilt the front end and says " Sure looks like alot of work" That mans name is Richard Ruth , and he should know , he built all 3 of the 55 chevys used for the film . 2 of them moved on and were used in American Graffitti as bob falfas 55. 2 if them were 454's , the car used in the race scenes had an L-88 427
no i didn't know that...interesting...nice car by the way,is it yours ?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Mac

a few more interesting facts on the movie .

Apparently , the 455 in the trans am in " Smokey and the Bandit " was a bit of a wheeze bag and didnt put off the sound effects they wanted. So they used the motor sounds from the 55 in this movie and dubbed them in when they wanted the pontiac to sound a little tougher.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:35 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
no i didn't know that...interesting...nice car by the way,is it yours ?
Yeah , been building it for the past year and a half .
Old 12-15-2009, 02:40 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Yeah , been building it for the past year and a half .
it looks like you are doing a good job with it Mac....wish i had one.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Mac

Thank you ! Been a ton of work so far and alot more to go.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Thank you ! Been a ton of work so far and alot more to go.
Mac is that the car you already did the interior on? That is a badass car, bro.

[
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 AM

Wow, James Taylor with hair!

I never even heard of this film. My hubby would love it for the cars (in fact, he's probably seen it) and I'd like to watch it for the cast. Our office chair is FUBAR and I can't sit in it comfortably more than about 30 minutes but I see this is available on Netflix. Thanks for the recommendation!