Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default The passing of a gentelman in the truest sense of the word

This past Thursday a warrior and a gentleman went home to God.

I had the distinct honor of being instructed by Ridgely Abele several times over the past several year. He awarded me my National Karate-do Federation referee license, he awarded me my first gold medal in Kumite, he also did the same for my son two years ago..

On of his sayings was "What's the first rule of Karate??? To look cool!!" That didn't mean it looked cool to be standing over a defeated opponet in a match.. or to win in a fight...it meant to be calm.. it ment to have good form.. it meant so many things...

Another was.... "I am not going to get in a punch/kick fight with someone in the street.. I am just going to punch them in the throat." It was always said in jest.. but the intent was quite clear.. He would always stress restraint when it comes to self defense. To remember a warrior understands compassion and control...

Hanshi Abele was able to make some of the most difficult concepts easy for me to understand..

His attention to detail was impeccable.

He called me out for not having silver buttons on my suit jacket for my first tournament that I was referring. He backed my 100% when "Little Johnny's Mom" didn't like the call I made at his tournament.

He was one of my shihans' closest friends.. and instructors.. he kicked him in the rear when he needed it. encouraged when things seemed to be falling apart...he knew me by name and expected much of me. I always did my best to deliver...

He was ill for a good while.. and it seems that when the end was coming, he called for his family... the day his daughter got to his bedside, he decided that he had what he wanted and let go..

Hanshi Abele will be missed greatly and the world of Martial Arts has lost a true statesman.. and the world is a little less as pleasant as it was.

My black belt test was to be on December 19th. Hanshi Abele's memorial service is the day before.

My shihan asked if it would be ok to reschedule my test for Jan 30th in order for us to attend... I told him, do you even have to ask?

Cherish the ones you love... you never know when you may not get another chance to tell them you appreciate them and that you love them.

Ridgely Abele began his Karatedo and Kobudo training in 1964 in Miami, Florida, under the direction of John Pachivas then later under Robert Trias. In 1971, he was certified to teach Karatedo and Kobudo and in 1982, Robert A. Trias appointed Abele as Chief Instructor of Shuri-ryu. He travels, trains and teaches extensively throughout the USA, Canada, Europe, Japan, Hong Kong & China.

His brother, Eddie Abele, was a top-rated kickboxer in South Florida in the early 1980s. Eddie won his first 12 bouts by knockout, and went on to a 16-1-1 record with 15 knockout wins.

Abele has produced over 260 black belts throughout the world and maintains schools in Europe and the United States. Abele is a member of the Inner Council for the International Shuri-Ryu Assoc. He is the founder of the International Shurite Yudansha-Kai, a worldwide organization of black belts dedicated to the research and development of Karatedo, Jujutsu & Kobudo. Abele was elected to the Trias International Society as one of the most spirited fighters in the country.

On December 10, 2009, at approximately 10:15AM EST, Ridgely Abele passed away as a result of complications stemming partly from an earlier pneumonia infection.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Sorry about your loss. Sounds like he was one of those people that you just feel honored to know.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

If Hanshi Abele crossed your path, you were a better person for it. Just that simple.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I am saddened by this news
Old 12-14-2009, 02:12 PM

My condolensces to you and his family.

[
Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Chuck

Sorry to hear the news brother....